Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 3.2 Conversion Thread, got to git 'er done
kdfoust
post Oct 13 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

Hey Gint. The plate covers the hole that is left in the fan shroud when you remove the big snorkel looking thing. That's the snorkel with the two yellow stickers in this digipic. Of course you need one. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)

No worries John. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

Later,
Kevin

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
736conver
post Oct 13 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #122

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736
Region Association: None

Kevin,

The wiring is pretty easy. Its almost comes down to match the colors. A mistake I made was hooking the black wires from the DME to a hot when the iginition was on. They need to be hooked up to hot when starting and ignition on. Otherwise you wont get any spark during cranking.

Right now I cant get mine started. She wants to fire but it just wont go. Almost like I am not getting enough fuel. I have to do some more trouble shooting this weekend.

+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 16 2005, 01:16 AM
Post #123

I've been making good progress the last two days. Yesterday I hacked the old battery tray out of the engine compartment so I can relo the battery to the front trunk. That also makes a lot more room for "stuff" in the engine compartment. I clamped the motronic harness down in the engine compartment and routed all the wiring to various engine sensors. Today I picked up the 14 pin Porsche connector that Steve refered to in one of his posts. I did some translations between 3.2 and 914 to eliminate the relay board. If it turns out that it works right I'll post the schematic. I also added a couple of new wires to the harness for the oil temp and oil pressure gauge (I didn't have one on the -4). It turns out to have taken most of the afternoon to get all this done. Tomorrow I want to finish running all the wiring that integrates the 3.2 into the 914.

Here's what it looked like sorting out the pin-outs and getting ready to resolder the connector.

Later,
Kevin

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 16 2005, 09:05 PM
Post #124

I managed to get a cold yesterday. It's making the conversion go slower...
Today I got out there anyway after having a coffee and reading the LA Times and started anchoring the motronic, the DME relay, and the altitude sensor. I also started running the in the cabin wiring. Man that old 914 wiring is still pretty good althought it's pretty darn dusty under the dash. While I was under there I decided that I'd order one of the JWest Engineering replacement fuse boxes for a later install during the sort-out period. I've got everything roughed in in the cabin and just need to start terminating wires (there are like 6 or so to deal with). I'm a recent convert to heat shrink tubing for wiring. A while back I did an in-car video installation in "the other Porsche" and realized that heat shrink tubing makes the wiring job look so much more finished.

Here's what I did with the Motronic 14 pin connector and the 914 14 pin connector. The motronic side of the equation came from information located here. I ciphered on the 914 side myself with the Haynes manual. I'd welcome any comments on this conversion cause I'd hate to let the smoke outa that there motronic box...

Later,

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 16 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #125

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (kdfoust @ Oct 13 2005, 10:38 PM)
Hey Gint. The plate covers the hole that is left in the fan shroud when you remove the big snorkel looking thing. That's the snorkel with the two yellow stickers in this digipic. Of course you need one. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)

Later,
Kevin

Thanks. I don't need one though 'cause I'm not doing a 3.2... yet.
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 16 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #126

I was just digging through some old Up-Fixin der Porsche and found this on the relay board pin-outs.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
736conver
post Oct 16 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #127

Advanced Member

I also decided on doing the fuse upgrade but instead of buying someones kit I am going to do mine myself. The ATO fuse boxes only cost $10 a piece. A lot better then spending $100. I am sure its a great kit but if I can do it myself I 'm all over it.

What is your target date to fire it up.

Not to rub it in or anything but I just took my 3.2 for its first ride today. WooWee its fast!!! Now I'm parking it the garage and going to clean up a few things.
Its hibernation time here.

+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 16 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #128

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I connected my yellow wire to the actual starter wire.
I noticed you mapped the yellow wire to the ignition wire.
If I remember correctly the DME uses the yellow wire for cold starts.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
736conver
post Oct 16 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #129

Advanced Member

I think he's got it right Steve.
The yellow comes from the 914 ignition switch and goes to the starter via the 3.2 harness.
There's another yellow wire off the DME harness that needs to know when your cranking so the fuel pump goes on, I think thats what you might be thinking about.
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 17 2005, 08:02 AM
Post #130

QUOTE (736conver @ Oct 16 2005, 09:19 PM)
I also decided on doing the fuse upgrade but instead of buying someones kit I am going to do mine myself. The ATO fuse boxes only cost $10 a piece. A lot better then spending $100. I am sure its a great kit but if I can do it myself I 'm all over it.

What is your target date to fire it up.

Not to rub it in or anything but I just took my 3.2 for its first ride today. WooWee its fast!!! Now I'm parking it the garage and going to clean up a few things.
Its hibernation time here.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) You drove it! Outstanding. What was causing the no-fire-up? I still have by the end of October for the first fire up and first weekend of November as first drive.

That's a good point about the fuse panel. I'd like to add a four spare fuses while I'm under there anyway. I guess it's hard to beat rolling your own. One way or another those old fuses are going to have to go. I may want to run a Targa or something in this car and I don't want to be messing around with electrical problems caused by faulting fuses.

Later,
Kevin
+Quote Post
736conver
post Oct 17 2005, 08:41 AM
Post #131

Advanced Member

You drove it! Outstanding. What was causing the no-fire-up? I still have by the end of October for the first fire up and first weekend of November as first drive.

Would you believe it was just some misc manifold leaks. After I plugged them she fired right up. I can just tell this is going to be a nice running motor compared to my 2.2 I had. She starts right up. No pumping the pedal.
Its too bad I didnt get a longer drive out of it though. Maybe I will get lucky and get a few nice days before it really gets crappy.
Hopefully my fuse boxes show up soon too. I already torn mine apart electrically waiting for reassembly
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 19 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #132

I made the (almost) last connections for the electrical system this evening. The only wiring left is to jump out to the fuel pump in the front trunk. I'd would've done that this evening but I wanted to use 14ga wire and an inline fuse holder. Neither were in my stock of electrical stuff. So that'll wait til tomorrow.

I got a major shipment today. All the oil stuff came in! I haven't sourced all the fittings and hose yet, I thought I'd wait until everything was mounted before I did that. The unavailability of the repro -6 oil tanks isn't an issue now...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DrifterJay
post Oct 19 2005, 01:09 AM
Post #133

I break stuff...

Member No.: 737

whats your source for these parts? PMS?
and what did you end up getting for the oiling system, I am figuring out what to do with mine...gonna be there in about 3 months... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 19 2005, 02:29 PM
Post #134

QUOTE (DrifterJay @ Oct 18 2005, 11:09 PM)
whats your source for these parts? PMS?
and what did you end up getting for the oiling system, I am figuring out what to do with mine...gonna be there in about 3 months... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

I was going down the path of a front mounted tank (like O'Brian's that Joe Sharp posted) hence the digipix from yesterday. Today I just found a source for an OE repro tank and associated hardware. So there's a reasonable chance that some of the front tank hardware will be going back and the repro -6 hardware will coming in. Or not.

Later,
Kevin
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 19 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #135

Okay. I'm done with this oil thing. You can get your hands on repro tanks now but I don't care. I'm installing all the stuff I bought and I'm gonna like it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif)

Tonight I pulled the driver's side heat exchanger so I could get the engine oil cooler off for modifications. We all know what that means: "exhaust studs." (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

Ever since I've been monkeying around with cars and talking to people about it, pulling headers or manifolds or heat exchangers has always carried the baggage of past broken head studs. It's happened to everyone at least once. Sometimes you don't care. Like when I was in high school and broke a stud off an exhaust manifold on the 289 in my truck. With the blown out muffler I doubt that anyone even noticed the minor exhaust leak. On the 3.2 I want things to be pretty san-o so pulling the HE was just patient work. Even though the nuts look like they'd been found on the Titanic and then installed on this car they came off pretty easy with some heat from the MAP torch. One stud backed out and I can live with that. Nothing broke. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Now the engine cooler goes out to have a -16 AN fitting welded on the pipe so I can connect to it with commonly available hoses and fittings. The clearance between the pipe and the trailing arm is a little close so the pipe also gets shortened up a bit to help clear things. I've heard that the length is fine and the oil line will only rub the trailing arm occasionally. On that count it's all this simple to me: I don't want to BE THE GUY WHO OILS DOWN THE TRACK! Everybody has seen this happen. It's a sad hour for everyone.

Later,
Kevin

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Oct 19 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #136

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (Gint @ Oct 16 2005, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE (kdfoust @ Oct 13 2005, 10:38 PM)
Hey Gint.  The plate covers the hole that is left in the fan shroud when you remove the big snorkel looking thing.  That's the snorkel with the two yellow stickers in this digipic.  Of course you need one.  :smash:

Later,
Kevin

Thanks. I don't need one though 'cause I'm not doing a 3.2... yet.

Gotta fix those case bolts on the 2.7 yet, eh? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
736conver
post Oct 19 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #137

Advanced Member

That kicks butt on the exhaust studs/nuts. I'm glad they came off for you.
I would imagine you have the thick flanged exchangers too. You will need some spacers or washers when you put your new headers on. Just something to keep in mind if your order parts or going to the hardware store for parts.
+Quote Post
John
post Oct 20 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #138

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

I'm curious,

What did you guys do with your alternator pulley? Did you cut the outer pulley off, or was there room between the pully and your engine sheet metal?

I ended up removing the AC portion of my pulley as there would have not been enough room to get a fan belt on/off.

A pic of yours would help a bunch.

Thanks

John
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 20 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #139

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Oct 20 2005, 12:09 PM)
I'm curious,

What did you guys do with your alternator pulley?  Did you cut the outer pulley off, or was there room between the pully and your engine sheet metal?

I ended up removing the AC portion of my pulley as there would have not been enough room to get a fan belt on/off.

Thanks

John

I swapped it with a non AC pulley.
The RJ motor mount that I originally bought would not work with the AC pulley.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 20 2005, 09:28 PM
Post #140

QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Oct 20 2005, 12:09 PM)
I'm curious,

What did you guys do with your alternator pulley? Did you cut the outer pulley off, or was there room between the pully and your engine sheet metal?

Thanks

John

The sheetmetal will make it a little bit of a wrestle to get a belt on/off but I think it'll be doable. The engine mount didn't interfere with the pullies. Next time I'm under the car I'll take a digipic of the setup.

Later,
Kevin
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 11:09 AM