Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 3.2 Conversion Thread, got to git 'er done
kdfoust
post Oct 20 2005, 09:29 PM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (736conver @ Oct 19 2005, 09:24 PM)
That kicks butt on the exhaust studs/nuts. I'm glad they came off for you.
I would imagine you have the thick flanged exchangers too. You will need some spacers or washers when you put your new headers on. Just something to keep in mind if your order parts or going to the hardware store for parts.

Yeah, good point on the thick flanges and spacers. Those go on the list.

Kevin
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
736conver
post Oct 20 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #142

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736
Region Association: None

I'm curious,

What did you guys do with your alternator pulley? Did you cut the outer pulley off, or was there room between the pully and your engine sheet metal?

I ended up removing the AC portion of my pulley as there would have not been enough room to get a fan belt on/off.

A pic of yours would help a bunch.

i ended up mushing that part of the pulley into itself. It looks really good like it was design that way. Sorry no pics of it though. Kind of hard to take a pic of it right now, being installed.
+Quote Post
John
post Oct 21 2005, 06:12 AM
Post #143

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

The sheetmetal will make it a little bit of a wrestle to get a belt on/off but I think it'll be doable. The engine mount didn't interfere with the pullies. Next time I'm under the car I'll take a digipic of the setup.

Yup. My copy of the 914-6 sheet metal was too close to the AC pulley to get a belt through there, but everything did clear. I ended up cutting the AC pulley off and turning the rest down on my lathe.

I was just curious as to how close I came with my home made sheet metal. It sounds like I was pretty close.

(Nearly completed sheet metal)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 24 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #144

The clock is ticking. November is coming on quick. I want to be driving this puppy in November! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/drooley.gif)

I've got a driving school this Saturday and a business trip starting Sunday that'll take out a whole swath of wrench time. Then even worse yet I'm off to Willow Springs for the last POC STS weekend of the year the first weekend of November. I'm going to be down from wrenching for 7 days coming soon. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)

So I continue to work consistently on the project... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)

I've completed the engine compartment wiring and the wiring in the passenger compartment. I ran a big a**ed 4 gauge cable from the starter to the front trunk for the new battery location. I've got a -6 tach and a new combo gauge with oil pressure and temp. The oil cooler is out having a -16AN fitting welded on. Tomorrow I order the Getty oil cooler shroud. Tonight I was sorting out the location for the various oil system components in the front trunk. I was on the fence about the Odyssey Battery but I've made up my mind. I'm putting the Odyssey in because it fits so much better than the old battery with the layout. Check out the four basic locations I went through for the major pieces. You have to picture the Getty Design oil cooler shroud in place in the center of the trunk as well. The Odyssey Battery is so thin (3.1") that I could mount it on top of the oil cooler shroud if I want. Option 4 is my choice. The white box represents the Odyssey battery. The red wire laying on the floor of the trunk is from the front trunk mount fuel pump relo.

It looks like I'm gonna miss the first weekend of November for the first drive and I'm disappointed by that. But driving is my "thing" the whole reason for building this insane little car so there's no way I'm missing the school or the POC weekend.

Later,
Kevin

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
John
post Oct 24 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #145

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

I like option 1. It keeps the majority of weight closer to the front axle instead of moving it even further forward. It's laid out similar to our track car.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 25 2005, 02:20 AM
Post #146

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

The great things about the Oddessey battery is that it's small and light....you can put it about anywhere. There is no "Where do I put 38lbs" thing as it weighs 13 lbs.I put mine here.
I was able to use a single strap as there is an upset formed into the trunk floor in just the right spot.that keeps it from sliding sideways.
This also makes for short wire runs...less weight, less resistance.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 25 2005, 07:55 AM
Post #147

Hey JP, so you're spinning a 2.7 with the Odyssey. What the heck is that thing on the left side of your trunk?

I did a quick run through the weight distribution on the car making some assumptions like the car wieghed 2100# originally and was 48/52 wt dist. By adding the 3.2 the distribution shifts from 48FR/52RR to 46FR/54RR. With a heavy battery (38#) located in the front trunk and all the other oil stuff I estimated the weight distribution to be at 47.5/52.5. So part of my motive was to keep the car as close to balanced as I could. Not that it matters all that much, since I'll sorting ot the suspension all over again anyway. But, It's not supposed to be a taildragger... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)

Later,
Kevin

PS Do you guys think the ducktape will get through tech inspection? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Series9
post Oct 25 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #148

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

Oil 1:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Series9
post Oct 25 2005, 08:12 AM
Post #149

Oil 2:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 25 2005, 09:07 AM
Post #150

Hey Joe. That's one heck of an oil cooler. So I reckon that fan is pushing air out of the trunk? I notice that you've got the oil filter in front. Why did you make that choice? I was planning to put it on the engine compartment firewall low and on the driver's side like this PMS conversion car's. I guess I hadn't given the filter location a lot of thought... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)

Later,
Kevin
+Quote Post
Series9
post Oct 25 2005, 09:14 AM
Post #151

QUOTE (kdfoust @ Oct 25 2005, 08:07 AM)
Hey Joe. That's one heck of an oil cooler. So I reckon that fan is pushing air out of the trunk? I notice that you've got the oil filter in front. Why did you make that choice? I was planning to put it on the engine compartment firewall low and on the driver's side like this PMS conversion car's. I guess I hadn't given the filter location a lot of thought... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)

Later,
Kevin

It doesn't matter where you put the filter. Just somewhere in the scavenge line.

The 3.6 has an on-engine filter too (stock), which replaces the on-engine oil cooler. Hence the size of the front cooler.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 25 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #152

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE (kdfoust @ Oct 25 2005, 05:55 AM)
Hey JP, so you're spinning a 2.7 with the Odyssey. What the heck is that thing on the left side of your trunk?

A puke botttle.....the hose from the tank was not hooked up at that time.
Inside is a breather/filter. I've seen too many breathers exposed in compartments....engine and trunk.... that were saturated with oil and were then doing an oil down on the whole area. I puke out 4-8 ozs of oil at a typical AX. The lid of the mixed nuts bottle is vented but with a foam insert under the lid to knock down more vapor. On the street & track, it stayed dry, so it is prolly overkill if that is all you're going to do.
I've theroized that AX gets the oil in the tank sloshing (it gets me sloshing:D ) around and it then gets caught up in the airflow of 6/7K rpm windage.

That Odyssey has given me no troubles. It cranks the motor over well.....my car sits up to a month between starts. When it sits for more than a week, I spin it over for 30-50 sec to pump some of the oil out of the sump & into the tank before trying to start it. It seems to be kept charged by AXing only.....surprised me. I think the short lines help. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

50-50% weight would be nice, but I gave up worring about that in the pursuit of lightness......and it's easy to take weight off the front so it comes from there or nowhere.
I put a 5 gal gas tank on the floor where you have the oil tank...weight up high is bad, too. I'm thinking of taking 30 or so pounds off the top of my cage.....but putting it back in below dash level.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 25 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #153

Irrelevant old fart

My thinking on the locations of the various oil system locations is to pump unregulated cold oil the least distance possible.

When I was doing front cooler, I talked (email) with a racer that had rigged a pressure gauge on the scavenge side.
He said be had seen 165 psi during cold starts.
My cooler was supposedly good to 300psi.....before it blew on a cold start. The Thermostat was plumbed wrong....feeding cold oil to it and "other stuff".....not my finest moment (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

If you ever get to fool with a 911 oil pump, you'll see what an efficient little bastard it is. It looks like a tenth scale 6-71 blower.
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 31 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #154

Yesterday I was at an Evolution AX driving school in Fontucky (Fontana). I took the "other Porsche." While it's a fun car we all know that the 14 is the tool for AX. Part of the course had a seven cone slalom that would have been taken WFO in the 1.7 version of the 914. With the 3.2 version I'm sure that I'd have to do some pedalling to keep everything hooked up. The "other Porsche" needed some pedalling...

I've been working on the oil system. I finally found a location for the filter that makes me happy. I've got those worthless -4 engine mount brackets on the frame doing absolutly nothing now with the -6 installed. I'm mounting the oil filter inside of u-shaped bracket that is the -4 engine mount. The firewall mount was just in the way of too many things, including the proportioning valve, the e-brake cabling, and the heater hose. I'll have to fabricate a mounting bracket for the filter housing and weld that bracket to the engine mount dingus. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)

I was sizing up the oil cooler opening and exit ports as well as looking over the Getty -6GT oil cooler shroud. The cover part of the Getty is pretty obvious as to the fit in the car, however, the 2nd part is a little less obvious. It really doesn't seem to fit my car well at all. Remembering that I've got an early car ('72) I'm a little puzzled by the shape and fit of 2nd part. Anybody got any experience with this setup and some pictures that show the two pieces and how they're mounted together. Here's my guess. It looks like I need to do a little glass work to fill in gaps and such...

Later,
Kevin

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 31 2005, 01:18 AM
Post #155

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Here's a picture that shows where the second piece goes.
It just lays on the trunk floor between the front and rear cutout.
Its easy to figure out the cutouts by just laying this piece in the trunk.
I first put in the big part that covers the oil cooler and used a permanent black marker to draw around it.
I then took out the big part and laid the smaler part in the trunk floor.
Its pretty obvious where you need to cut by comparing the black marker to where the second piece is laying.
The second part is used to guide the air out the back opening.
These pictures are from a real six being converted to a GT.
So they should be the same as your car.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 31 2005, 01:20 AM
Post #156

914 Guru

Here's a picture without the piece in place.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 31 2005, 01:24 AM
Post #157

914 Guru

Another good picture without the parts in place.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 31 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #158

914 Guru

Here's a shot from the front.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Oct 31 2005, 11:34 AM
Post #159

Ohhhh. The bottom piece actually extends forward to meet the cutout in the valance? Wow, that's not I pictured at all. I hadn't planned to slot all that out, I was just going to use the existing holes in the body work.

Kevin
+Quote Post
maf914
post Oct 31 2005, 12:37 PM
Post #160

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE (914RS @ Oct 25 2005, 06:11 AM)
Oil 1:

Joe (914RS), Nice looking work in the front trunk. I noticed that you don't have a rubber weather strip in the front lid channel. With your fan arranged to exhaust air from the trunk, creating a low pressure area in the trunk, and through the oil cooler, I wonder how much air is being drawn from around the hood. If you ever have a temperature problem you might consider some type of weather strip for the channel to seal off this air and restrict air flow to the coooler only. That looks like a pretty good sized cooler so this may not be a problem. Just a thought. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 05:00 AM