Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The 3.2 Conversion Thread, got to git 'er done
kdfoust
post Sep 25 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

I played with my 1.7 914 for a couple of years and really enjoyed it for what it was. It was a boisterous tart of a car, petite and tolerant. The 14 was anxious to please. Then I decided that I needed more power. You see I had purchased another Porsche during that time (impure thoughts, impure thoughts) and learned some things like they joy of power-on oversteer. The "other Porsche" was a brute. It would knock the wine glasses over at dinner and lear at the boss' wife. It insisted on shots of Jameson's for everybody before and after dinner. CHEERS! The twin-cam growl as the tach sweeps to 6400, the ability to drive the car with all the controls including the throttle is paradise. The logic, desire, no NEED for an LSD to keep everything hooked up on corner exit make it a must. That ripping up asphalt feeling of the enourmous four-piston calipers hauling it down from a buck-twenty is like heroin. I couldn't get enough of this new brute.

The 1.7 would never produce "power-on" anything much less oversteer. I had listened to the PCA AS class gurus talk about the joys of driving momentum cars and how much more skilled I'd become for the effort. The other Porsche's call was hard to resist. The 914 sat forlorn. It was starting to be in the way. I would be bleeding the brakes on the "other Porsche" and have to walk around the 914 to get a tool or a hose. I started to think crazy. Sell it as a roller, buy an RSA, trade it for a Ducati, swap it for a cage in the "other Porsche," remove the tags and VINs and park it on a street someplace where you wouldn't want to walk alone at night.

The 1.7 got to such a forlorn state through a series of missteps on my part. I had decided to put a stock 2.0 in the car which would have been a substantial upgrade in performance. I've seen a well prepared 914 with a stock 2.0 take TTOD on a tight AX course. As I got into the project I realized that I was NOT going to be happy with 94.7 BHP even in a light car like the 14. The "other Porsche" had already done it's damage. So the project became to build a hot 2.0. Then came carbs and heads and the other stuff to make this happen. 115.3 BHP that's the ticket. As I worked into the project my time in the garage became more and more precious to the point where I only had weekends to mess with the 14. Hey, I've already got a full-time job! I decided that spending all my spare time wrenching was sounding like a lot less fun that when I started. And all that work for 115.3 BHP, if I was lucky. No can do. So then I went to engine builders. Finding the best wasn't hard. Getting on the list wasn't hard. The waiting proved HARD. After a couple of delays that started lengthening the build to a year or more I grew despondant. I NEED an engine for the 14. I kicked the project around with the boys at work, I bored neighbors with mornful sobbing, I sat and looked into the open garage looking at the misserable POS of a car. I drove the "other Porsche" everywhere and loved it. Choices, choices. Build myself, hire an engine builder, flat bed the car to a shop and tell 'em to make 'er run, get a six. Of the things in the universe of my desire for the 14 a six turned out to be high on the list. So why was I waiting for a hyper-trick-4? Because I loved the idea of getting an engine that is so exclusive you have to wait a year and send a wheelbarrow load of Benji's to make it so. But the wait was killing my interest. FOOL! Desire meets luck meets a Pelican in VT. Send Benjamins, receive engine. 3.2 motronic, 20x HP. Order headers with megaphones that break windows at 6400 but this time it's in the 914.

The 1.7 version of the car was cute where the 3.2 version will be monsterous. The 1.7 version was frugal where the 3.2 will extravagant. The 1.7 vesion was OEM while the 3.2 is TUF. The 1.7 version is.....gone.

So here starts the project. I've sourced a 3.2 Motronic Carrera (magical words) engine from an '85. It's coming to me complete from exhaust tip to air cleaner. My goal is to shove that engine into the 14 as soon as it arrives. I want to go from the pallet to the engine bay with no garage storage time whatsoever. Parts are being sourced NOW. Electrical stuff is being sorted out NOW. The Bently Carrera manual has been ordered NOW. The engine will use the Motronic. The "other Porsche" has that. It will get headers, the heat will come from within. I picture the 914 becoming a brute as well, eating all the fillet in one gulp while reciting x-rated limericks from memory. I've got no great plan past all that. Well aside from a little power-on oversteer that I've got scheduled for November...

Later,
Kevin
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
11 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(160 - 179)
Series9
post Oct 31 2005, 03:52 PM
Post #161

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE (maf914 @ Oct 31 2005, 11:37 AM)
QUOTE (914RS @ Oct 25 2005, 06:11 AM)
Oil 1:

Joe (914RS), Nice looking work in the front trunk. I noticed that you don't have a rubber weather strip in the front lid channel. With your fan arranged to exhaust air from the trunk, creating a low pressure area in the trunk, and through the oil cooler, I wonder how much air is being drawn from around the hood. If you ever have a temperature problem you might consider some type of weather strip for the channel to seal off this air and restrict air flow to the coooler only. That looks like a pretty good sized cooler so this may not be a problem. Just a thought. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

There's a seal on it now.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 31 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #162

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE (kdfoust @ Oct 31 2005, 09:34 AM)
Ohhhh. The bottom piece actually extends forward to meet the cutout in the valance? Wow, that's not I pictured at all. I hadn't planned to slot all that out, I was just going to use the existing holes in the body work.

Kevin

The bottom piece is just used to route the air to the back opening.
The 3.2 motor runs pretty cool.
You could get away with just the round holes in the front and the rear opening for the exit air.
I also crammed a small 12 volt fan under the shroud for when I'm stuck in traffic.
The only time my motor ever got to 200 degrees is when I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Nov 2 2005, 08:46 AM
Post #163

914 Guru

I also keep forgetting that my motor is a Euro engine with higher compression.
That's probably why it runs hotter.
GPR has no external oil cooler on there 3.2 and they say they have no over heating issues.
Even when they race the car at Button willow and Willow springs.
+Quote Post
swood
post Nov 19 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #164

Member No.: 251
Region Association: None

Yo Kev! Whats the status? Still kicken butt on this thing or what?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Nov 20 2005, 07:44 PM
Post #165

Hey Woodman. It's been awhile since I've updated for sure.

I had a two weekends of downtime plus a week of business travel which equates to at least three weeks behind schedule on this project. But things are moving along again.

For the oil system I decided to go with Earl's Perform-O-Flex hose and Swivel-Seal fittings. I did all the sourcing through Summitracing.com. Most of the stuff has come in and I've started running braided hose. I ordered a "braided hose cutter" from Summit which IMHO looks like a cheap-a** pair of pruning shears. They weren't even sharpened! They're going back. I'm cutting the hose with a hack saw and that works fine. As far as assembling the hose so far (after six fittings) I think it's not such a bad process.

If you were to say that these projects go through the tear-down, fabricate (or buy) and re-assemble phases I'd say I'm well into re-assemble. I hooked up the speedo, throttle, and clutch (partially - I'm missing a bushing for the clutch pulley) back up. The half-shafts are back on as well. I'm waiting for my -16 hose and on-engine oil cooler to show up but I've got the exhaust system (headers and mufflers). I'm taking the entire week off next week to get some stuff done on the car and to relax from work a bit so I hope to put everything I've got available on the car.(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)

Tomorrow I'm going out to pick up a welder. Don't get too exicited, it's going to be an oxy-acetylene setup but that what I know how to use...and it CUTS.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif) It's for welding in the oil filter mount and will be for doing some fabrication later on the oil cooler air flow stuff.

Everything's got a TODO list and here's mine....

Later,
Kevin

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Nov 26 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #166

The 3.2 keeps moving closer to being a driver. I've been off this week so I've hit a pretty good lick on the project. I can even visualize starting and driving this beast the first weekend of December! I've just heard that PCA RSR has an AX on 12/10. I wouldn't mind using that as a real early shake-down run. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

Even though I was "on holiday" this week I did sneak into work on Tuesday evening to do some fabricating. I hadn't had much luck finding an appropriate banjo fitting for the fuel pump. I had also managed to loose the bushing that goes on the clutch pulley pivot. :huh:So I snuck into work under the cover of darkness and knocked out those two little parts. I soldered a modified barbed fitting into the banjo fitting blank. I didn't bother to radius the outside contours of the banjo fitting like they usually are, but, it's not located anyplace where I've got to look at it. I'm done with thinking about the fuel system anyway. I had been ordering all my braided stainless hardware from Summitracing.com. I found that the -16 hose was back ordered til 12/6/05 so I went to other sources. I found this place, AN Plumbing Shop in LA . Funny thing was when I asked for 12' of -16 braided stainless hose the guy said "are you doing a Porsche?" Are we so bloody uniquely crazy that.....don't answer that. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif) Now if I can just get PMS to send my engine oil cooler back to me...

I went to electrical debug this week and hooked up all the instruments as well as the new fuel gauge. Now don't get all tweeked when I say this, but, I had to give the starter a little bump just to make sure that that the electrical to that point was hooked up correctly. Now the coil wasn't hooked up or nothin' and I only bumped the engine maybe 1/10 a rev. But it WORKED. It's nice to do a little bench testing as you go. Kinda inspiring as well! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif)

Later,
Kevin

Here's the banjo fitting fabrication: (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Nov 28 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #167

The car still looks like a disaster. My neighbors walk by and peek into the cockpit and get these horrified expressions on their faces. Now they're just being polite when they ask when I'll be done because to them, the non-"carguy" public, this is beyond madness and the only possible answer is "never." Here's a perfectly good car ruined by a maniac. The interior is a mess of wires and gauges hanging from wires, boxes, tools, meters, crimp-on connectors, wrenches, water bottles. There's no steering wheel or seats, the back pad is out, the carpet is out and the shifter has gone missing. To them there's no way out but to claim it on insurance. To me, one of dubiuos mental clarity, it seems only a couple of weeks from running.

Later,
Kevin

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Nov 28 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #168

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

looks to me like it's about a week away from driving. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
Roger
+Quote Post
Steve
post Nov 28 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #169

914 Guru

QUOTE (kdfoust @ Nov 27 2005, 10:31 PM)
The car still looks like a disaster. My neighbors walk by and peek into the cockpit and get these horrified expressions on their faces. Now they're just being polite when they ask when I'll be done because to them, the non-"carguy" public, this is beyond madness and the only possible answer is "never." Here's a perfectly good car ruined by a maniac. The interior is a mess of wires and gauges hanging from wires, boxes, tools, meters, crimp-on connectors, wrenches, water bottles. There's no steering wheel or seats, the back pad is out, the carpet is out and the shifter has gone missing. To them there's no way out but to claim it on insurance. To me, one of dubiuos mental clarity, it seems only a couple of weeks from running.

Later,
Kevin

Its just a flesh wound!!
Your almost there.
+Quote Post
Eric Taylor
post Nov 28 2005, 02:21 AM
Post #170

Member No.: 770

QUOTE (kdfoust @ Nov 27 2005, 11:31 PM)
The car still looks like a disaster. My neighbors walk by and peek into the cockpit and get these horrified expressions on their faces. Now they're just being polite when they ask when I'll be done because to them, the non-"carguy" public, this is beyond madness and the only possible answer is "never." Here's a perfectly good car ruined by a maniac.

lol, that picture makes me feel like i'm home. I miss the madness. I get that from my mom all the time. I remember when I put the car on jackstands for the first time and forgot to block the front wheels. As the car slid off the stands the look on her face was "your going to die, and your father is supporting it" It was priceless.
Eric
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Nov 28 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #171

MAP gas is your friend. Especially when doing a conversion project. Shrinking electrical shrink tubing (yeah the FAST way), getting exhaust nuts off, and last but not least bending a -4 side shift shift-rod into -6 friendly shape. In my car the stock -4 side shift bar pretty much banged into everything under the car from the headers to the engine case. I got the bends pretty close to straight. I'll do the final fit up when I get the new bushings tomorrow. It's pretty easy to bend the bar with a little heat. The only thing that is getting my attention is the fact the going from bent to straight increases the distance from the coupling at the tunnel to the set screw hole for the trans shift cup by .8125". It looks like there's enough slop, I mean adjustment, in the system to compensate. Worst case I'll have to put a new set screw hole a new location. No big deal.

Later,
Kevin

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Dec 1 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #172

I hooked the brakes back up in the rear on Monday. I had planned to hookup the shift linkage tonight and bleed the brakes. I bought a liter of Castrol LMA in preparation. Car up on stands, I started putting the shift linkage together. That .8125" offset from straightening the shift bar is coming into play and I couldn't quite adjust things so that it would shift. I added a hole offset the .8125" but the shift bar is boogered in that area. I'll take it to work tomorrow and have at it to clean up the shaft. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif) I didn't get round to the brakes tonight. Still got the stock -4 brakes hooked up. I'm thinking about putting 944 Turbo calipers on. The but that'll mean a bunch of other stuff that's out of scope right now.

Later,
Kevin

here's the shift bar...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Dec 1 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #173

Tomorrow's a big day. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif) I should have the -16 lines, the on-engine cooler from PMS, and some other stuff from Pegasus. I think that's it. No more parts to source! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif) Tonight my EBAY special "K&N" filter for C2, Carrera and what have you arrived. It was like $20 and the main reason I bought it was to get the flange that mounts to the MAF. I'll get a real McCoy K&N to go on it. The flange isn't quite perfect but I'll slot some holes tomorrow at work. I'm just figuring the flange is a starting point that keeps me from having to machine the entire thing myself anyway. Here's the filter and flange.

Later,
Kevin (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer3.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
736conver
post Dec 1 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #174

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736

Kevin,

I put the 951 calipers on mine and they are awesome. I also bought that ebay filter. Nothing but crap I thought. That flange is horrible. I thought at least the holes would match up. The transition is horrible to. I guess theres a reason why its so "cheap"
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Dec 1 2005, 10:07 AM
Post #175

QUOTE (736conver @ Nov 30 2005, 10:49 PM)
Kevin,

I put the 951 calipers on mine and they are awesome. I also bought that ebay filter. Nothing but crap I thought. That flange is horrible. I thought at least the holes would match up. The transition is horrible to. I guess theres a reason why its so "cheap"

Nope, the holes don't match on mine up either. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)

I'm going to use the flange for now to get the car running again but you're right the match between the flange and MAF is pretty miserable. What are you planning to use for a flange on your car? I had pretty much decided that I'd machine one myself until I ran across the el cheap-o one on EBAY.

Later,
Kevin
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 1 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #176

914 Guru

I bought the MSDS air filter.
It fits perfect but I think it was $100.00
You get what you pay for. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 1 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #177

914 Guru

QUOTE (736conver @ Nov 30 2005, 10:49 PM)
Kevin,

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hijacked.gif)
Did you have to drill extra holes in the 944 Turbo calipers to fit your struts?
If so did you weld up the old holes?
I bought a set years ago and they are drilled out to fit the 911 struts.
Some day I will install them or sell the car whichever comes first.
+Quote Post
736conver
post Dec 2 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #178

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736

I had a buddy machine them for me. I didnt weld up the old holes either. I have the 3.50 spaced struts and you have to increase it to 3.75 if I remember correct. Didnt think it would be a problem enlarging the hole on one side, 1/8 of an inch.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 6 2005, 02:32 PM
Post #179

914 Guru

QUOTE (736conver @ Dec 1 2005, 10:31 PM)

I had a buddy machine them for me. I didnt weld up the old holes either. I have the 3.50 spaced struts and you have to increase it to 3.75 if I remember correct. Didnt think it would be a problem enlarging the hole on one side, 1/8 of an inch.

That's what they did on the calipers I bought.
I just haven't had the time to install them.
My 3.2 definetly needs these calipers.
My S Aluminum calipers are to wimpy for a 3.2.
I didn't realize they were that bad until after I bought my 993.
The 993 brakes are awesome.
My 914 of course is faster to 140 mph and corners better than the 993.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 6 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #180

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (kdfoust @ Nov 30 2005, 10:39 PM)
I hooked the brakes back up in the rear on Monday. I had planned to hookup the shift linkage tonight and bleed the brakes. I bought a liter of Castrol LMA in preparation. Car up on stands, I started putting the shift linkage together. That .8125" offset from straightening the shift bar is coming into play and I couldn't quite adjust things so that it would shift. I added a hole offset the .8125" but the shift bar is boogered in that area. I'll take it to work tomorrow and have at it to clean up the shaft. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif) I didn't get round to the brakes tonight. Still got the stock -4 brakes hooked up. I'm thinking about putting 944 Turbo calipers on. The but that'll mean a bunch of other stuff that's out of scope right now.

Later,
Kevin

here's the shift bar...

Kevin, you don't actually want the bar perfectly straight. You'll want a slight bend somewhere around the center of the bar becuase the two ends are not prefectly parallel to one another.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 06:25 AM