Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED taillights, Choose a style
LED taillights
LED taillights
Style A IPB Image [ 129 ] ** [66.15%]
Style B IPB Image [ 8 ] ** [4.10%]
Style C IPB Image [ 58 ] ** [29.74%]
Total Votes: 195
Guests cannot vote 
vortrex
post Oct 3 2005, 07:45 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 4
Region Association: None

QUOTE(smooth_eddy @ Oct 2 2005, 12:00 AM)
Hmmmmmm, why would someone want to do this in the first place? What is wrong with the regular bulbs? Am I missing something?

I was curious about this too a while ago and the explanation I got was that the standard bulbs take about 200ms to reach brightness. the LEDs are instant (almost?) and this results in 20' extra for the driver in back of you to stop once seeing your lights.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
chilli
post Oct 3 2005, 08:53 AM
Post #42

Older Than Dirt :-)

Member No.: 3,805

None for me, my 914 is basically stock and am keeping it that way.
mike
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Oct 3 2005, 10:23 AM
Post #43

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

QUOTE(chilli @ Oct 3 2005, 06:53 AM)
None for me, my 914 is basically stock and am keeping it that way.
mike

mine isnt! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) and i'd take a set for sure! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Oct 3 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #44

Soon to be brightening the life of the person behind you.

Member No.: 596

Here's something you may want to consider since you already have the circuit figured out.

As I said earlier, I was looking into doing the very same thing. Since I'd already had a little CAD experience I was looking at single sided copper clad perf boards, and etching kits...

Etching kits [one source I looked at]:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/cate...EK-5&type=store

You simply rolleyes.gif create the grid pattern of the perf board, layout the circuit that you've already figured out, print (the "printed" part is the copper you want to retain on the perf board [CADsoft freeware works]) onto the peel and stick perf board paper circuit paper, and soak in the etch solution.

Another site:

http://www.bcae1.com/circuitboardetch.htm

Good luck!

-Kevin

I think it's a good idea for prototyping but not for production. It also leaves the copper exposed to the air and will oxidize. I think there is already plenty of oxidation on a 914 and I don't need to add anything. The boards I would like to get will look green from the coating they put on it (except where I will solder the components.
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Oct 3 2005, 03:43 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Oct 2 2005, 12:00 AM)
Hmmmmmm, why would someone want to do this in the first place? What is wrong with the regular bulbs? Am I missing something?

I was curious about this too a while ago and the explanation I got was that the standard bulbs take about 200ms to reach brightness. the LEDs are instant (almost?) and this results in 20' extra for the driver in back of you to stop once seeing your lights.

LEDs turn on instantly, reducing braking response time by 2/10th of a second. That means 5 extra meters of stopping distance at highway speeds.

LEDs have better viewability in poor weather. And, because they last 100 times longer than an incandescent bulb, outliving their host vehicle, they can be installed and forgotten. The result? Greater peace of mind for the customer!
from Lumileds.com a LED manufacturer.

If you want to read some more PDF
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Oct 3 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #46

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE (smrz914 @ Oct 3 2005, 03:36 PM)
Here's something you may want to consider since you already have the circuit figured out.

As I said earlier, I was looking into doing the very same thing. Since I'd already had a little CAD experience I was looking at single sided copper clad perf boards, and etching kits...

Etching kits [one source I looked at]:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/cate...EK-5&type=store

You simply rolleyes.gif create the grid pattern of the perf board, layout the circuit that you've already figured out, print (the "printed" part is the copper you want to retain on the perf board [CADsoft freeware works]) onto the peel and stick perf board paper circuit paper, and soak in the etch solution.

Another site:

http://www.bcae1.com/circuitboardetch.htm

Good luck!

-Kevin

I think it's a good idea for prototyping but not for production. It also leaves the copper exposed to the air and will oxidize. I think there is already plenty of oxidation on a 914 and I don't need to add anything. The boards I would like to get will look green from the coating they put on it (except where I will solder the components.

I was actually thinking it would be a better idea for "production", since you already have a working prototype. Once you've saved the pattern to disk, you can pump out all of the circuit stickers you can handle, and with text ID'ing all of the components on the board (which can also be add to the board during the etching), trained monkeys could assemble them (and monkeys work cheap!) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) After you've got all of the components on, the board cleaned with alchol, and are sure it's functional, shoot some clear laquer on the copper and exposed components and walah! Corrosion control!

Well, that' how I planned on doing it........if I ever get to a point where have "extra" time to mess with them again, I'll post how well it worked (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) .......or what a waste of time and money it was. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

Good Luck! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Oct 4 2005, 05:24 AM
Post #47

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE (smrz914 @ Oct 3 2005, 03:38 AM)
The guts of the taillights arn't the heavy part.

I take it that the housings are the heavy part, then? I know this would be a lot of work, but it might be worthwhile for those who want to lighten their cars as much as possible: mount some round LED arrays in a lightweight fiberglass mount that replaces the taillight housing, a la the 911R taillights (which of course were originally done with bulbs).
+Quote Post
swl
post Oct 4 2005, 05:49 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE (smrz914 @ Oct 2 2005, 03:53 PM)
You can even arrange the LEDs to say something.

Now there's a product you could get rich with! Throw in a cct that makes the left side an F and the right a U. Great for tailgaters.
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Oct 5 2005, 01:09 AM
Post #49

I take it that the housings are the heavy part, then? I know this would be a lot of work, but it might be worthwhile for those who want to lighten their cars as much as possible: mount some round LED arrays in a lightweight fiberglass mount that replaces the taillight housing, a la the 911R taillights (which of course were originally done with bulbs).

The housing and the lenses are the heavy part. You could get the round taillights that the trucks use and fit them to a fiberglass housing. Anything is possible with time and effort. I don't think my roomates would like me to start laying up fiberglass in the apartment. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smoke.gif) I have done fiberglass and carbon fiber work. Maybe i'll try to come up with something when I'm home this winter and have a garage to work in. If people want. I could make a special batch of housings for the LEDs. I'll think about it.
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Oct 5 2005, 01:13 AM
Post #50

Now there's a product you could get rich with! Throw in a cct that makes the left side an F and the right a U. Great for tailgaters.

Shhhh, not so loud.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 5 2005, 03:07 AM
Post #51

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE (smrz914 @ Oct 4 2005, 11:09 PM)

The housing and the lenses are the heavy part. You could get the round taillights that the trucks use and fit them to a fiberglass housing. Anything is possible with time and effort. I don't think my roomates would like me to start laying up fiberglass in the apartment. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smoke.gif) I have done fiberglass and carbon fiber work. Maybe i'll try to come up with something when I'm home this winter and have a garage to work in. If people want. I could make a special batch of housings for the LEDs. I'll think about it.

Don't worry about the housings. Focus on the boards. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Mar 17 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #52

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

My mom works for LumiLED. As a matter of fact she just sent me a red array (18) of the "Super Flux" LED's. It fits perfectly in the 3rd brake light from "Engman". It looks like your using the Super Flux also, But what are you using for the Reverse light?

This post has been edited by montoya 73 2.0: Mar 18 2006, 02:09 AM
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Mar 17 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #53

Here's a pic of the array.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Mar 17 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #54

Here's one lit up by a 9 volt battery.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Mar 17 2006, 11:53 PM
Post #55

Here's the last one...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 19 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #56

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ Mar 17 2006, 09:33 PM)
My mom works for LumiLED. As a matter of fact she just sent me a red array (18) of the "Super Flux" LED's. It fits perfectly in the 3rd brake light from "Engman". It looks like your using the Super Flux also, But what are you using for the Reverse light?

How much do those run and did you have to make any mods to the housing or LED strip? I have 2 of the Engman (Vette) lights and would like this on both. As for the thread at hand I prefer style A. Any rough idea on a price yet?
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Mar 20 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #57

QUOTE (scotty b @ Mar 19 2006, 07:20 AM)
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ Mar 17 2006, 09:33 PM)

How much do those run and did you have to make any mods to the housing or LED strip? I have 2 of the Engman (Vette) lights and would like this on both. As for the thread at hand I prefer style A. Any rough idea on a price yet?

she just sent it to me. i'll ask mom if she/they have any more and how much?. I haven't actually installed it in the 3rd brake light yet, i had just did a quick "will it fit" measurement. the weather was to nice here in southern oregon for me to be inside working. hell, i was supposed to be at work on saturday but i managed to get out of it!

i will keep posted about more being available and if so, how much. i'll also keep you posted when i do install.
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Mar 20 2006, 06:15 PM
Post #58

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

speaking of brakelights, i installed a 3rd brakelight today on the 14'. Only spent like less than $10 on the LED bar. here's a pic:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brando
post Apr 15 2006, 09:55 PM
Post #59

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(dlo914 @ Mar 20 2006, 05:15 PM) *

speaking of brakelights, i installed a 3rd brakelight today on the 14'. Only spent like less than $10 on the LED bar. here's a pic:

Cool! Is this on the tub tony gave you? Looks pretty good... Can you supply info on where to buy the led bars/housing?
+Quote Post
project-914
post Nov 14 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 6,571

dangz!...I want some if they aren't too expensive...

I've been doing a lot of LED work recently and that's a good job
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 10:28 AM