Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> keeping engine dry
Frank Marino
post Aug 8 2003, 02:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 816

Everytime it rains, we get hydro-locked. Can't keep the car in the garage. Suggestions on how to keep the engine bay dry would be appretiated. Is there a part that goes under the engine lid?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 8 2003, 02:44 PM
Post #2

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

It looks like a 6er???

Wolfert air cleaner housings....bring money.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 8 2003, 02:47 PM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Do you have any more pics of the car? Preferably the front nose with the spoiler? I think thats the spoiler from Tweeks, and I have not seen it on a car before.

Thanks!

Andrew
+Quote Post
airsix
post Aug 8 2003, 02:51 PM
Post #4

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

Sixes didn't have a rain tray under the engine lid like the -4's. You can get 'watershield' aircleaner covers for aftermarket filter setups, but if you've got the original -6 airbox it should be protected enough. What are you running now?
-Ben M.

ps- I saw home-made -6 'waterhield' type aircleaner covers once made from rubbermaid containers. Not purdy, but it's a cheap fix.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 8 2003, 03:01 PM
Post #5

Irrelevant old fart

Ah, my favorite pic. Note the recesses to direct water away from the carbs and into the drains(which you can't see). The "watershield's" base is flat.
(edit) you can see one drain, the little brass bit in the far center.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dmilzoff
post Aug 8 2003, 06:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 377

The car is an original 6 but has a 3.0L with twin 48 IDA Webers. They have watershed covers over the carbs and air filters but the problem is every time it rains. I think that the water is working its way in from through the head gaskets. Possible? I was thinking of installing an old style engine rain tray. Anyone have a source or a better suggestion?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tod914
post Aug 8 2003, 08:01 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Purchase a 1/2 cover for it. I will cover the glass area and engine bay. Some1 posted info on them here.

If your storing it outside, invest in a decent full cover for like $160. Keep in mind, they are not 100% waterproof. In a torrent, they will seap water.
+Quote Post
scotty
post Aug 8 2003, 10:18 PM
Post #8

The Fun Never Stops

Member No.: 718

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) You leave it in the rain?!?!?!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 9 2003, 02:28 AM
Post #9

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(dmilzoff @ Aug 8 2003, 04:09 PM)
.  I think that the water is working its way in from through the head gaskets.  Possible?

I should hope not. Your compression would be a tad low (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Note the pic of the Wolfert base....note the gaskets under the velocity stacks....got those? Do you have rubber gromets (washers) under the wing nuts holding the covers on?

A rain tray as on the 4 bangers won't fit, but....I've heard of guys laying a piece of Saran Wrap over the engine grill to keep water out.....but don't forget to take it off when starting the motor !!

BTW, if you don't get that thing out of the rain, it will degenerate into a pile of iron oxide.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 9 2003, 07:53 AM
Post #10

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i had to read the "can't keep it in the garage" part about 5 times. what's in the garage a bentley or a rolls? you can "make" a garage on the cheap. get some long lengths of plastic pipe, 3/4"should do, that isn't too rigid.various connections ie t's and 4 ways, some bungees, bags of sand and a large tarp. i like the type that has the silver coating on one side. form a quanset type frame and drape the tarp over it. use the bungees thru the grommets and around the frame. weight it down with the bags. instead of gluing the the frame together, drill the connection points and use some sort of pin to hold them together, the type with one straight side and a curve on the other, like hood pin clips. this will make it a break down/ mobile affair.

kevin
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 10:12 PM