Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crazy Used Car World, Buy a top-line Mercedes for 914 money
lapuwali
post Oct 10 2005, 02:27 PM
Post #1

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Once upon a time, the M-B 500SEC was considered THE car for high-speed cruising. EVERY F1 driver had one. They were heart-attack expensive in 1985. On Craigslist, there's what looks like a cherry 1985 500SEC for $2999, which is $1 less than I paid for a 1971 914 with dodgey paint and one carb two years ago. A 914 in equal condition to this car would be $8K easy, for a car that's at least 10 years older, a lot less powerful, and with far fewer comfy gadgets.

Clearly, the market prefers Porsche to M-B...

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 10 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

part of the reason is the cost of operating such a car. even thought it is still WAAAYYYY much cheaper here in the US than anywhere else in the world, it looks like you're finally catching up ...

back in germany, about 10 years ago, i bought 2 very nice '76 MB 280SE (you know, the ones with the double chrome bumpers) for a whoooping 600 DM (about $400 at the time).
one had a broken hardy-disk, the other one was a runner.
i used one as a backup parts car and the other as my daily driver. gas milage was beyond horrible and taxes/insurance were eating up my retirement fund but man, that car was fun to drive ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Oct 10 2005, 02:56 PM
Post #3

That's my ride.

Group: Members
Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

Yet another reason is that big luxury cars tend to go out of style very quickly, and if you are 3 or 4 generations back, the typical big luxury car buyer isn't interested at all. Its not much of a status symbol at that point...

Like bondo says: Mercedes are either expensive to buy and cheap to maintain (warranty), or cheap to buy (old) but expensive to maintain.

-Tony
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Oct 10 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #4

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I can't say I buy the operating cost argument. Despite $3+/gallon gas pretty much nationwide now, there's still a waiting list for the Hummer H3.

The old news argument I can buy. I do know a good number of people who love on Benzes, but perhaps there just aren't enough of them to keep the prices propped up. My next door neighbor has a 300D from the early 80s with over 400K miles on it, and he fixes it himself. I think he finally had to do wheel bearings last year (owned the car since new). His wife has a late 80s 560SL, but rarely drives it in favor of her Toyota daily driver. Neither one are the usual M-B owners. He's an electrician, and she owns a beauty salon. They aren't really into the status thing.

Just struck me as odd and not a little ironic that what was once such a desirable car (to some) is now less than half the price of something that was once considered cheap trash by the high status set (and still is, by many).
+Quote Post
jasons
post Oct 10 2005, 04:39 PM
Post #5

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573
Region Association: None

People who can afford to pay for repairs on MB's buy new ones. People who can't afford to pay for repairs on MB's are scared of them.

Regarding Porsches, 911's obviously hold value the best. Everything else is chopped liver. My 944S2 was like $45k in 1989, I paid $6200 for a one owner all mech. records car. Same thing goes for 928's, and regular 944's are even worse. 911sc's are still $13k easy for a nice example. Ironically, I think my S2 has more balls than its 911 big brother in 1989.
+Quote Post
serge914
post Oct 10 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 723

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Oct 10 2005, 02:22 PM)
Despite $3+/gallon gas pretty much nationwide now, there's still a waiting list for the Hummer H3.

The Hummer is the ultimate poser truck. Peoples buy them to show everyone else that they makes enough money to feed them. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)
Their status follow the the price of gas.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 05:21 AM