Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT - Wife wants a "new" car - what would you get?, Help me spend some money ...
cha914
post Oct 10 2005, 08:26 PM
Post #1

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

I know this isn't 914 related, but it is car related, so I guess its ok for the garage...bump me if you need to...

Anyway, the wife wants a 'new' car, not necessarily brand new, but new to her. Our high end is probably 10K, but that doesn't mean we have to spend that much.

A little history, her first car was a 90somthing mazda 626, she loved the car, but it was somewhat of a lemon and spent alot of the time running on 3 cylinders, and we dumped it before it quit altogether. Her current car is a 93 subaru legacy wagon, and its a freaking tank. 240K and still running likeit will never stop. However, the car is "too big" for her.

She really wants a smaller car, but can't be tiny, as she is a teacher and needs some room to haul stuff around in. She really likes the new Mini's (yeah who doesn't), but it seems most of the nicer examples are still in the 15-20K range.

Anyway, we are going to start looking for and driving cars to narrow down the list, what do you guys suggest for cars? The car needs to be smallish, no wagons but hatches are ok, needs to be auto, and I want a car that has a good history as far as maintaince goes.

Here are the cars I am considering: Mini - if I can find a screaming deal, VW - she likes the golf/jetta but I have reservations about their reliablity, bmw's lots of used 3 series in that range but not too sure about the autos on those, Volvos lots to like but seem expesive, I like subarus since hers is a rock but would need to find a smaller example for her to try, then there is the camery/civic/accord/accura crowd that I really don't know much about, or what do you guys suggest?

I have been able to purchase mercedes, bmw's and porsches for the 5-10k range, so I know there are awesome used cars out there, what would you buy for a sweet wife ride?

Thanks for the help,

Tony (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving-girl.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 44)
turboman808
post Mar 15 2006, 07:01 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Sounds like she needs a small hatchback

some sort of civic hatch or a toyota. Celica is an awesome car with lots of trunk space. Outbacks are smally but roomy and pretty reliable. Lots more to go wrong and if she doesn't need all wheel drive then don't bother.

Sorry I wouldn't get a vw. Ok maybe a first gen gti but thats it
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Mar 15 2006, 08:15 AM
Post #42

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

Here ya go...... plain and simple. Looks like a pretty good buy (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Impr...1QQcmdZViewItem
+Quote Post
ty914
post Mar 15 2006, 08:34 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 4,646

My wife and I went through the same thing...

We found that Volvos crashed in price the first 3 years due to promlems in 1999 and 2000 with thier cars. We picked up a 2001 black S80...it is in perfect condition, tan leather, all the options, and nice 17" wheels. New sticker was $40K and it was a one ower car...

We purchased it and said we would keep it 2 years...break even on it and do it again. Well it is time to sell it. We paid 16k and it has a "transferable" bumper to bumper waranty with it that is still good for 1.5 years...

I think you could get a S40 (smaller) for under 10K.

Good luck...Tyler
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 15 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #44

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE (ty914 @ Mar 15 2006, 06:34 AM)
My wife and I went through the same thing...

We found that Volvos crashed in price the first 3 years due to promlems in 1999 and 2000 with thier cars. We picked up a 2001 black S80...it is in perfect condition, tan leather, all the options, and nice 17" wheels. New sticker was $40K and it was a one ower car...

We purchased it and said we would keep it 2 years...break even on it and do it again. Well it is time to sell it. We paid 16k and it has a "transferable" bumper to bumper waranty with it that is still good for 1.5 years...

I think you could get a S40 (smaller) for under 10K.

Good luck...Tyler

I was thinking the same. My sister has a 1st gen S40 and I think it's a nice little car. You can get them used for ~$10-14k...not to shabby. Can get the 2nd gen for ~$17k. Saabs also have bad resale but are nice cars to get used.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 15 2006, 10:57 AM
Post #45

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

Go out and drive a Mazda3, for your critera and price point I think you will have a hard time finding a nicer car...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-3-200...1QQcmdZViewItem

Ferg.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 06:42 AM