Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Floor panel questions
VaccaRabite
post Oct 13 2005, 08:19 AM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

OKay, so the tar is up off my floor panels. There is surface rust, but none of it is through. I tried to drive a phillps screwdriver though the worst section of it, but could not - even tapping it with a hammer. So, I think that my floor panels are in pretty good shape.

But I have a few questions.

1) there are 2 holes on the forward passinger floor panel, up near where the passingers toes might be. They look drilled, as if for hoses. Also, thre is no rust around them. What are they? Should I weld over them? The holes are about 1/2 inch wide, and there are 2 of them. They are not there on the drivers side.

2) on the drivers side, direcly behind the seat bracket holders, there are two eye bolts through the floor pan. They are rusted around, and I think they were put there later. Very large metal washer on the bottom (road side) of the pan. I am guessing they were for a racing harness? Are they needed? Safe to remove them and weld over the holes?

3) On the driver and passinger side floor pans there are two metal studs. What are they? What do they hold?

4) on the ebrake, there is a sheet metal cover over the cables that control the brake. It is rusty, and there is more rust under it that I can't get too. Should I cut it off? Just push a lot of rust stabilizer under it? If I cut it off, do I need to replace it?

5) How many metal tubes are in the center tunnel? I know that the shift linkage is there. But there are two metal tubes running the length of the tunnel, and some rubber hose. I don't see the white plastic fuel line. I am trying to figure out if this has already been replaced with the metal tubes, or if it is just hiding out of view through the inspection plate. *edit* More likely that the black rubber hose is fuel line. But I am being opimistic. Before the gas tank goes back in, and after the engine comes out, I will be running stainless steel fuel lines.... */edit*

Thanks guys!

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Oct 13 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

1) there are 2 holes on the forward passinger floor panel, up near where the passingers toes might be. They look drilled, as if for hoses. Also, thre is no rust around them. What are they? Should I weld over them? The holes are about 1/2 inch wide, and there are 2 of them. They are not there on the drivers side. These are probably from a dealer installed A/C system.

2) on the drivers side, direcly behind the seat bracket holders, there are two eye bolts through the floor pan. They are rusted around, and I think they were put there later. Very large metal washer on the bottom (road side) of the pan. I am guessing they were for a racing harness? Are they needed? Safe to remove them and weld over the holes? Yes, probably racing harness

3) Don't know, need a pic.

4) on the ebrake, there is a sheet metal cover over the cables that control the brake. It is rusty, and there is more rust under it that I can't get too. Should I cut it off? Just push a lot of rust stabilizer under it? If I cut it off, do I need to replace it? Do not cut it off. The metal cover should have 2 screws that hold it in. If they're rusted badly, just carefully drill them out. Once you remove the plate, you can see it better for cleaning up the rust

5) How many metal tubes are in the center tunnel? I know that the shift linkage is there. But there are two metal tubes running the length of the tunnel, and some rubber hose. I don't see the white plastic fuel line. I am trying to figure out if this has already been replaced with the metal tubes, or if it is just hiding out of view through the inspection plate. *edit* More likely that the black rubber hose is fuel line. There are 2 tubes, one holds the throttle cable, the other, the clutch cable. There should be 2 opaque plastic tubes that are the fuel lines. They might have been replace with black ones. BTW, there are metal tubes, for the fuel lines that go through the front and rear firewall, this is what the lines attach to.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 13 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #3

En Garde!

QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Oct 13 2005, 10:25 AM)

4) Do not cut it off. The metal cover should have 2 screws that hold it in. If they're rusted badly, just carefully drill them out. Once you remove the plate, you can see it better for cleaning up the rust

5) There are 2 tubes, one holds the throttle cable, the other, the clutch cable. There should be 2 opaque plastic tubes that are the fuel lines. They might have been replace with black ones. BTW, there are metal tubes, for the fuel lines that go through the front and rear firewall, this is what the lines attach to.

Okay. I'll wire brush the metal over the e-brake cables and locate the screws. My guess is I'll be drilling them out.

The metal tubes for throttle and clutch cable. Duh! I really should have realized that one on my own. Thanks!

Tonight I Will take some pics of the studs floor studs and post them up. The look like some sort of attachment point. Perhaps carpet foot rest, so it does not wiggle around? Just a guess though.

Zach
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Oct 13 2005, 09:54 AM
Post #4

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

There's a brake line in there, too, as I recall. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
plas76targa
post Oct 13 2005, 09:56 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,700

#3 ? If two on each side, driver & pass, could those be the studs (for a better word) that the stock carpets sets slip over? sorry to guess. i'm at work and the car is at home.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 13 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #6

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Center tunnel lines:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...nter_tunnel.htm

--DD
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 13 2005, 12:28 PM
Post #7

En Garde!

^^^
Thanks Dave. Now I need to get out of work, head back to my car and comapare notes.

Zach
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 13 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Oct 13 2005, 07:19 AM)
[...]

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

show us some pics of the areas in question.
a pics says more than a 1000 ASCII characters !!!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 13 2005, 08:27 PM
Post #9

En Garde!

Pics!

Okay, floor studs:
(IMG:http://static.flickr.com/28/52294482_23c3ec98cc.jpg)

and the passinger side footwell holes:
(IMG:http://static.flickr.com/31/52294481_0b089fc0e2.jpg)

This car did have A/C installed, but thre were no hoses that ran from the dash vents to the floor pans. Most of the A/C I am taking out of the car, except the cooler in the front trunk. That way, I always have the option of putting it back in later.

I think that the other questions were answered.

Thanks all
Zach
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Oct 13 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #10

mr. Wonderful

Member No.: 2,978

I may be wrong, but I remember from doing my floorpans those two studs lined up with holes in the carpet. Maybe it was to hold the carpet somehow? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Oct 13 2005, 08:44 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,258
Region Association: None

the two studs are for the carpet.....
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Oct 13 2005, 09:01 PM
Post #12

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

the holes could be for draining the pan when it rains. i put one in my pass pan because it always fills up so i just uncork it
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:16 PM