Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which job is easier..., Valve clearance adj. or springs/shocks??
914zim
post Oct 13 2005, 11:42 AM
Post #1

Still pretty clueless...

Group: Members
Member No.: 962

Gentlemen:

Well, I finally got the alternator belt replaced after having to remove the air injection assembly and getting the alternator to pivot - WHAT A BITCH!! Anyway, thanks for the help on that one guys!

So now I'm hoping to get some decent driving in before the cold weather and snow come here ito WI, but I'm also planning on getting things together for the next "winter project".

I'm trying to decide which job is easier. Since the clutch replacement job took way longer than it should've (mostly lack of motivation and time), I'm not looking for another huge project, but I want to try and get something else done on the 914 during the off season.

I'm thinking the valve clearnce ajustment would be easier/quicker and the cost would probably not be too much, compared to buying new springs and shocks, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on it.

Thanks!
Andy...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MattR
post Oct 13 2005, 11:48 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

I dont get it. If you have to adjust the valves, get down there and adjust them. If you're dampers are shot, replace them. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)

Did I miss something?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 13 2005, 11:49 AM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Rear shocks and springs are easy, if you have the tools. Depending on which springs you're using, you may need spring compressors. If you have 'em, the job is easy. If you have shorter springs--ones whose "free length" (length with no weight on them) is shorter than the suspension's full droop (jack the car up, see if the spring is loose on the shock) then you don't even need the compressors. The whole strut is held on with one nut at the top and one bolt at the bottom. New springs and new shocks, however, can cost some real $$.

Valve adjustment is more of a pain. Getting access to the valves involves some real contortions. Materials cost is very low, though--you may or may not need new valve cover gaskets and a little sealer of some kind.

The spring/shock replacement is something you do when upgrading or when the old parts have worn out or failed--in other words, not very often. The valve adjust is regular maintenance, and should be done about every other oil change. Both are very worthwhile, at least when it's appropriate to do so.

--DD
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 13 2005, 11:50 AM
Post #4

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Valve adjustment cost less than $5 for new gaskets. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Springs and shocks...four shocks and rear springs, what about front torsion bars? +$500 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Paul

+Quote Post
Rand
post Oct 13 2005, 11:55 AM
Post #5

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Deciding on this stuff should be based on what it needs, not how hard it is.

If it's due for a valve adjustment, git-r-done. That is important engine maintenance.

Are your shocks bad? Car bouncy? Or are you just upgrading?
+Quote Post
914zim
post Oct 14 2005, 07:47 AM
Post #6

Still pretty clueless...

Member No.: 962

Thanks guys for the comments.

I know it sounds kinda lame to ask the topic question, but like I mentioned, I just got done with the clutch job and I'm not really excited about diving into another major project at the moment. Maybe after I get some time behind the wheel, I'll feel more ambitious to dive into another project. I spent most of the driving season here trying to get the clutch done and now I only have a few more weeks before I have to put it away for the winter. With work and family obligations with other priorities, sometimes the 914 stuff get "back-burnered" for a while. Aside from the $$ issue (the wife likes to get the mortgage and other bills paid first before any 914 expenses!), sometimes the 914 will sit for weeks until I can get back to it.

I know my car needs both the valve adjustment and the springs and shocks. It has only 76K miles on it, but I don't know when the last valve adjustment was done, so I know it'd be a good idea to do one.
Also, the springs and shocks are pretty bad, altough I've only driven in 1 other 914 before, so I don't know how it's ride compares to other 914s. I guess I'm assuming it needs both of these things and I'm trying to decide which one to do first.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards doing the valve adjustment. It looks like there is a small oil leak coming from the covers and I want to get that taken care of ASAP.

Anyway thanks again guys for the comments!

Andy
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 14 2005, 07:54 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

the valve adjustment is more important, if "off" too much, engine damage can occur.

rear shocks/springs is a 30 minute job for the pair.

+Quote Post
mskala
post Oct 14 2005, 10:24 AM
Post #8

R

Member No.: 79

I see from your sig you have a '76, so this wouldn't apply to
you, but also for the early cars, to change the front shocks
you have to remove brake lines, making it messy (-er) and
need to do extra work bleeding and/or replacing lines.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Oct 14 2005, 10:33 AM
Post #9

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

both jobs will take some time the first time you do it. plan for 2 hours for each job.

after you've done it a while, though, it goes quick. valve adjustment takes me 20-30 minutes and R/R rear shocks and springs about 30.

in other words, take a saturday, and git-r-done!
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 14 2005, 10:38 AM
Post #10

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 14 2005, 05:54 AM)
rear shocks/springs is a 30 minute job for the pair.

I'd agree except that I have found many pins seized in the arm or the shock. Even getting the nuts off can be challenging. With spring compressers the job is faster, without is a two man job sometimes. Then there are the choices of spring rates and shock brands to consider.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 14 2005, 11:10 AM
Post #11

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Spring compressor, and an impact gun can take care of the shocks in 30 mins like

valves will take 2 hours ish for a newbie. Possibly more like 5 depending on what else your doing(or if you have problems).... lol
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:51 AM