Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Discovery Channel Top Gear!!, Please express your opinion...
Britain Smith
post Oct 14 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #1

Nano Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 364

I urge all you guys to go here:

Discovery Channel Veiwer Relations

and voice your displeasure with The Discovery Channel's decision not to renew "Top Gear"

Please take the 2 minutes & let them know how you feel.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 37)
jhadler
post Oct 14 2005, 11:37 AM
Post #21

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

I can't belive that they pulled the show!! Even my wife liked to watch it!!!

Yes, I wrote in a comment. I had to edit it down however, there was a 1500 character limit...

Here's my $0.02...

"I was bummed this week to find that Top Gear wasn't on at the regularly scheduled time. And I was SHOCKED to find that it's been dropped from the discovery channel line up. And now I find that it's being "revamped" for the US market? Why can't you simply leave a good show alone! The show was witty, intelligent, and entertaining. It was the only car show that my wife actually looked forward to seeing with me. I have seen the results of "American revamping" of successful English shows. The American version of "Junkyard Wars" was a pale shadow of the original. And they all do one thing. Dumb-down the show to the point of being boring, and vapid. The proliferation of mind-numbing, so-called reality shows are an offense to anyone who actually would like to watch something intelligently written and produced. Your decision to take an excellent show off the air and "revamp" it is absurd. There's an old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.". What in the world was wrong with Top Gear? NOTHING! It was a brilliant show, that appealed to more than just car nuts like myself. God forbid that we, in the United States be exposed to anything that might expand our cultural awareness by watching programs produced somewhere other than Hollywood. I thought that was what educational television was for! Expand our knowledge of things that we wouldn't otherwise be exposed to. Why not do it in an intelligent, and witty manner? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! Leave "Top Gear" alone and on the air."

-Josh2
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Oct 14 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #22

Yo, this is how I roll

Member No.: 3,879
Region Association: Northern California

Done.
+Quote Post
andys
post Oct 14 2005, 12:15 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

I'll agree that most of the docu and edu type programs have taken a dive. They sold out thinking man's programming for typical Hollywood sensationalism (Thank goodness Steve Irwin wore out). I can't stand to look at Jesse James even one more time, but his show goes on (???)! Unique Whips.......My brain goes numb, I just don't get it; can someone explain this show to me?

Andys

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Oct 14 2005, 12:18 PM
Post #24

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

The "Top Gear" show was not "taken off the air" but rather ran its pattern.
It is being revamped for a U.S. audience and will return later this year.
Look for it in December.

Well at least it's coming back.

I hope not watered down,mamby pamby, BS show showcasing cars with less than .9 g's lateral and more than 5.5 second 0 to 60 times .... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Oct 14 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #25

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Oct 14 2005, 01:18 PM)
The "Top Gear" show was not "taken off the air" but rather ran its pattern.
Look for it in December.

Well at least it's coming back.

I hope not watered down,mamby pamby, BS show showcasing cars with less than .9 g's lateral and more than 5.5 second 0 to 60 times .... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I got that same email from them.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Oct 14 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #26

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) Done and I would encourage all to write an intelligent, fuck free, statement instead of the f-in shitbag comments we all want to make. As for the "revamping" (insert strokin it smilie), Hollywood has a great talent for taking a good program and fuchin it up to appeal to the Am audience. But then again were all a bunch of trendy shit grinnin idiots right???? Oh and we LOOOOOVE some good Am. overacting (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/flipa.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 14 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #27

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

yea, if they "americanize" it, the show is going to suck.....

what is nice about TG now is that if a car does have problems or there is something they don't like about it, they'll be honest about it.....an american version will be kissing @ss of every car manufacture to get advertising dollars (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Rider914
post Oct 14 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,923

Thanks for the heads up. I sent in a note also - this has become my favorite show, and they will figure out a way to mess it up.
+Quote Post
Zaney
post Oct 14 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #29

Deuchland en der Haus

Member No.: 1,738
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I wrote:
Please do not "revamp or Americanize" the wondeful, witty show "Top Gear". If someone wants to watch a program aimed at a sixth grade reading level there are plenty of those already in rotation. My humble suggestion is to leave imported shows alone, perhaps even group them together for easier programming. I understand that you all must pay the bills but please don't compromise the "discovery" of new and exciting shows outside of greedy Hollywood. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chairfall.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Oct 14 2005, 07:20 PM
Post #30

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

QUOTE (boxstr @ Oct 14 2005, 10:27 AM)
The "Top Gear" show was not taken off the air, but rather ran its pattern.
Look for it in December.

Here's my take. I know there are others in the industry here and they may chime in as well.

The show we see is what's called a "Repackaged" show. It shows segments that were pulled from other pre-aired British episodes. These are very affordable, and easy to put out. I am willing to wager that what we've seen has been nothing but a test.

Now, whether or not the US version will be "all new" (new hosts, location, etc...) will be the $10 question.

*edit*
most Summer shows are tests or shows that the network doesn't have much faith in...(Survivor was a Summer show)
+Quote Post
Rider914
post Oct 14 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 1,923

QUOTE (seanery @ Oct 14 2005, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (boxstr @ Oct 14 2005, 10:27 AM)
The "Top Gear" show was not taken off the air, but rather ran its pattern.
Look for it in December.

Here's my take. I know there are others in the industry here and they may chime in as well.

The show we see is what's called a "Repackaged" show. It shows segments that were pulled from other pre-aired British episodes. These are very affordable, and easy to put out. I am willing to wager that what we've seen has been nothing but a test.

Now, whether or not the US version will be "all new" (new hosts, location, etc...) will be the $10 question.

I sure hope this is not the plan, but I bet that we can look forward to another "car and driver television" where they test cupholders and sliding doors on minivans.

The best part of TG is the unpredictable nature of the show. I loved the 100 quid challenge - the last test was to smash it into a wall and see who was hurt the most.

Could BBC channel (on Directv) show it as original?
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Oct 14 2005, 09:25 PM
Post #32

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

At best they'll produce a version for us with the same hosts and perhaps just a few less Anglo-specific references (I love the humor but don't quite understand what it means for a car to handle like the Lord of Derbyshire?)

At worst they'll turn it in to MotorWeak (sic) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

+Quote Post
airsix
post Oct 14 2005, 09:58 PM
Post #33

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 14 2005, 03:55 PM)
yea, if they "americanize" it, the show is going to suck.....

EXACTLY!!!!! A lot of the apeal for me is the English flavor. I enjoy that. I enjoy hearing about what it's like across the pond. I enjoy hearing Jeremy make fun of the French. I enjoy the dry jokes and UK-specific jargon. It's all part of the ambiance (can a man say 'ambiance'?)
-Ben M.

ps - I also want an Australian TopGear equivalent. That would be awesome too.
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Oct 15 2005, 08:39 AM
Post #34

|||

Member No.: 2,128

My comment has been received by "discovery channel."

It is very disappointing that it is going to be revamped for the American market. Junkyard Wars (USA) version II?
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Oct 15 2005, 01:44 PM
Post #35

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

that's sad. i have little faith that the 'americanized' version won't simply be an extended car commercial -- not unlike those occasionally shown on Speedvision (errr, speedtv). like i want to watch a 30minute commercial for a new jeep model.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Oct 15 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #36

|||

Member No.: 2,128

QUOTE (nebreitling @ Oct 15 2005, 11:44 AM)
that's sad. i have little faith that the 'americanized' version won't simply be an extended car commercial -- not unlike those occasionally shown on Speedvision (errr, speedtv). like i want to watch a 30minute commercial for a new jeep model.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

It'll always be Speedvision to me. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Even if it is 95% NASCAR-related. How many people can you hire to analyze how one guy bumped another guy and caused a 30-car pileup? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Oct 15 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 538

Fortunately I get BBC on Satellite so this shouldn't affect me too much. A friend of mine gave me an entire season of Top Gear on DVD. That DVD had me entertained for days. I beleive he has the entire collection from season 1 on DVD. If I am able to get a copy of all the seasons would there be any interest here? All I would ask is for shipping costs and DVD costs to be reimbursed.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Oct 15 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #38

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

QUOTE (soloracer @ Oct 15 2005, 05:29 PM)
Fortunately I get BBC on Satellite so this shouldn't affect me too much. A friend of mine gave me an entire season of Top Gear on DVD. That DVD had me entertained for days. I beleive he has the entire collection from season 1 on DVD. If I am able to get a copy of all the seasons would there be any interest here? All I would ask is for shipping costs and DVD costs to be reimbursed.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) count me in...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 08:56 AM