Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PP & Haynes wire diagrams
VaccaRabite
post Oct 14 2005, 08:06 AM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have wires in my car that are stripped, burned, and otherwise damaged. I have some others that I just found laying loose under the carpet, or dissconnected in the engine bay. The PO did let me know that the car had electical problems, so I was expecting them.

I am trying to decipher the Haynes wire guide. I have not gotten to pulling wire yet, but the wire guides may as well be greek. At the moment I am just trying to undersatnd them. The wire diagram on Pelican Parts is better, as it is in color - its a lot easier to read.

Anyhow, my car was sold as a 1976. It was made in September of 1975. All the wire diagrams only go to 1973 (1974 for current flow diagrams - are the the same things?). Did the wireing not change from 74 on?

I was hoping not to have to, but the further I delve into this, I know I am going to have to pull the entire harness, fish out and replace bad wires, and clean connections. I read the thread in classics about wire harnesses, it was helpfull.

Also, anyone in the York - Baltimore area that wants to help a noobie teener pull the harness out? Electrical systems have always frusterated me.

Only had the car for 2 weeks now. Learining more and more everyday - I want it done, but I want to do it right... So, going slow, asking questions, learing and doing.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 14 2005, 08:26 AM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

The 74 diagram on Pelican's site should be real close for the 76.

It's a current flow diagram. Think of it as a "waterfall" diagram.

Positive is at the top. Ground is at the bottom. The "water" flows downhill.

As for the electrical problems, you might think about getting a replacement harness from one of the guys on the board. Surely someone here has a 75 or 76 harness out of a junker that is better than the one you have.

Keep posting... we will help as much as possible.

+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 14 2005, 08:38 AM
Post #3

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Cut and splice the areas needed....nope don't have one...have a '70, '71 & '73

If you can find someone with a set of Factory Manuals, the diagrams were printed in color (and can be copied (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) )
+Quote Post
914GT
post Oct 14 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

You may find this useful. There are links to some labeled circuit diagrams there I posted a couple years ago.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 14 2005, 09:32 AM
Post #5

Here's a wiring harness for sale on E-Bay
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 14 2005, 09:44 AM
Post #6

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE (914GT @ Oct 14 2005, 10:03 AM)
You may find this useful. There are links to some labeled circuit diagrams there I posted a couple years ago.

Do you still have the PDF files that were created from your diagram? The link to the PDF files the the other guy made had long since dissapeared.

Zach
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 14 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #7

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The Haynes book has a diagram for 75-76 cars. It's not in color, but between that and the color one on the Bird, you should be able to get the idea.

The "current flow" diagrams are the only ones available for the 74+ 914s. They are not intended to show the physical layout of the electrical system--they are intended to show the electrical connections specifically. The exact position of all of the parts in the car is (at least for those diagrams) completely irrelevant.

The earlier comment about "waterfall" is a good one. The diagram are layed out so that the top of the diagram is where the power comes from. The bottom is ground, and is where all of the power goes to eventually.

--DD
+Quote Post
914GT
post Oct 14 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Oct 14 2005, 08:44 AM)
QUOTE (914GT @ Oct 14 2005, 10:03 AM)
You may find this useful.  There are links to some labeled circuit diagrams there I posted a couple years ago.

Do you still have the PDF files that were created from your diagram? The link to the PDF files the the other guy made had long since dissapeared.

Zach

I found one of the PDF files for the engine and uploaded it here. I haven't yet found the stitched PDF diagram for the body, I may have to do that one again.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 14 2005, 10:05 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Oct 14 2005, 09:52 AM)
The Haynes book has a diagram for 75-76 cars. It's not in color, but between that and the color one on the Bird, you should be able to get the idea.

The "current flow" diagrams are the only ones available for the 74+ 914s. They are not intended to show the physical layout of the electrical system--they are intended to show the electrical connections specifically. The exact position of all of the parts in the car is (at least for those diagrams) completely irrelevant.

The earlier comment about "waterfall" is a good one. The diagram are layed out so that the top of the diagram is where the power comes from. The bottom is ground, and is where all of the power goes to eventually.

--DD

Gee.. I feel honored... DD is complementing me on one of my posts! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 14 2005, 11:37 AM
Post #10

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Oct 14 2005, 07:06 AM)
I have wires in my car that are stripped, burned, and otherwise damaged.

if it's too hacked, your best bet is to get a replacement main harness from a donor car.

there's a thread in the "classics" forum on how to do this. i got my replacement harness from EASY in emeryville for $150 ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Andy
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 09:56 PM