Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Dirt roads, anybody ?
jsteele22
post Oct 16 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,653

Went for a ride yesterday, and decided to get away from all the foliage traffic. There's a highway up in the mountains (HWY 67) that has some pretty sweet twisties on it : speed limit is 20, and the advisory (yellow sign) speeds are 10 MPH ! Very little traffic. So basically, 914 heaven.

Now one little issue is that a stretch of it, maybe 5-10 miles, is unpaved, which is what keeps folks away from it. I had some major second thoughts, but when I thought of all the traffic I had come through (people who slow down and constipate the left lane anytime curves threaten. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif) ) I decided to try it. There were a few places with a little washboarding, which is no fun (I've got KYBs and no rear window gasket to speak of), but mostly the road was smooth.

MAN ! Talk about some fun. Plenty of driving right at (and past) the limits of traction. Easy to play with throttle steering, and I got a good feel for the front/rear brake bias. And the weight balance (like nobody ever noticed that before...) made it a blast. This was the kind of driving where 2 digits of HP was plenty, and I would bet that a 914 could beat damn near anything. Hard to say for sure about a WRX, but it would be fun to see if good weight distribution trumps the advantage of AWD.

The strange thing is, this kind of driving is so, so non-914. Of course, anything with bumps is right out. But does anybody drive 914s on dirt roads ? I wouldn't want to do a lot of it, just b/c of the vibration and dirt being hard on the car, but for a little out-of-the-ordinary fun, its an awesome way to kill a sunny Saturday afternoon !
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
jsteele22   Dirt roads, anybody ?   Oct 16 2005, 02:30 PM
SpecialK   I've seen vintage pics of Rally 914's, not...   Oct 16 2005, 02:38 PM
jsteele22   Actually, that's a great point. My engine is...   Oct 16 2005, 02:47 PM
redshift   If you frequent unpaved areas, and even if you don...   Oct 16 2005, 02:57 PM
SpecialK  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 02:52 AM