Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door-ding: WHUMP!, What do you do?
Dave_Darling
post Oct 16 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #1

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I drove my 914 to the store earlier today. As my attorney and I were walking back out to the car (one of 3 parked in a ~40 car lot), some ancient geezer in a big white full-size van dives up and parks right next to my car. About four inches next to, in fact. He opens up the door to the van, WHUMP! A nice new door ding, complete with paint chip.

He carefully squeezes out of the door (because it doesn't open very far due to being so close to my car) and starts walking away. "Excuse me--you just dented my car!!"

He looks at the ding, looks at his door, and shrugs. "Everybody does it." Uhh, noooo.... And why the hell did you have to park so close to me in an empty lot? "I'm between the lines!" Uhh, no--look again bozo. "Well whaddaya want me to do about it? Give you twenny bucks?" Sorry, old timer, but even the paintless dent removal places won't work for less than eighty. And now it needs paint, too.

I just said the hell with it, but my attorney and he kept yelling at each other. It's not like the paint on my car is in very good shape anyway, but the lack of consideration is just appalling.

I probably should have gotten his insurance info and called it in to them. I might not have gotten any money, but it would have been a pain in the butt to him and maybe he'd think twice about it in the future. Then again, he was probably 80+ so he may not be thinking or seeing so clearly anymore. He was definitely hard of hearing...

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Oct 16 2005, 06:48 PM
Post #2

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

Dang DD.....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) that sucks.....one of my buddies pulled a huge dent thing from a wreck on his ghia by hooking a racheting winch to a tree and hooking the other side to the wrecked area and pulling outward.....

should have given him the float test.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

b
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Oct 16 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #3

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Dave, so sorry to hear this.

Memo to us older guys.
I will never become an old Geezer, I will never become an old Geezer. And I will never hang out with one.

Tom
BTW
That's why I married a much younger lady (40-yrs ago). They keep us young.
+Quote Post
brer
post Oct 16 2005, 06:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736
Region Association: None

technically that is a collision.

ask for his insurance, and if he walks away call the cops because its a hit and run.

already went through this myself and thats what the local PD told me.
+Quote Post
markb
post Oct 16 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #5

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Sorry to hear it, Dave. Some people just have no consideration for others. God forbid it happens again, but please, don't let him get away with it. Even if you never get a penny for fixing your car, at least the sob will think twice about doing it again.
+Quote Post
bmcwilli
post Oct 16 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,998

Dave
You shoulda made him as miserable as possible...so that maybe he wouldn't have done it again!

Don't want to tee off on old folks, but maybe this guy shouldn't be driving anymore.

I am SO FED UP (yes, I'm yelling) with these a'holes that tear up other people's stuff, and walk, or run away.

My story..about 2 years ago my wife's foot slipped off the clutch of our Dodge Cummins pickup. The truck leaped forward (a lotta torque at work there with the cummins) and creamed a Hyundai. She went into the hotel, left a note with the desk, and the Hyundai guy called us. I wrote a check for 3700, prolly more than the Hyundai was worth, but that was the average of the estimates he got. I try to always do the right thing.

Fast forward to last summer. My wife is at a horse show. Comes out at the end of the show, and finds the tailgate of our Higlander smashed up so bad it won't open. No note. Fucher creamed my car and just drove away. $2700 damage on MY insurance.

BASTARD!

Folks, let NO-ONE get away with this bullshit! If someone f's up your car, make 'em PAY!~

rant - off -
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Oct 16 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #7

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

Door dings cut me to the core, my parents modeling.....

John (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

+Quote Post
Brew
post Oct 16 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #8

That's Captain Moron to you!

Member No.: 4,546

Sorry to hear it, Dave. I had a lady do that to me a few years ago to my old beat up POS 77 Suburban, and I WAS IN THE CAR! She just looked at me and shrugged, and started to walk off. I threw my door open as hard as I could, put a real dent in her ricer. She just kept walking (which was prolly the smart thing to do at that time).

Too many people just have no consideration for other's property.
+Quote Post
wilchek
post Oct 16 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,177

Dave,
don't sweat the small stuff. it sucks and the guy deserves to pay but what can you do. A year ago my car was re-ended by an old lady in a 73 monte carlo. ya know the one that still had bumbers that the jacks fit into to jack the car up with. I got out of the car ready to yell and the 4 foot lady with blue hair gets out. What could I say but, "are you all right". My car had 5000 in damage not to mention the hassle with the insurance company. At least she admited she was wrong and her company paid. However, no one was hurt and life goes on.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 16 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #10

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Dave,

(Insert Bill Clinton voice) I feel your pain man.... About 6 months ago Betty accused me of putting a bunch of scratches in her car just behind the outside left rear view mirror. She thought I had set something on the roof and it fell off. I really caught he11 for it until she saw two little (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/stromberg.gif) s standing on the roof of an outbuilding of the apartments behind the building where she works. They were peeling up shingles and throwing them like frisbees. She SAW one of the shingles hit her car, but by the time she go to them, they managed to disappear.

We now have some nasty scratches on the car......

+Quote Post
shaggy
post Oct 16 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #11

mechanic/welder/fabricator

Member No.: 4,869

QUOTE (Flat VW @ Oct 16 2005, 05:23 PM)
Door dings cut me to the core, my parents modeling.....

John (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

thats no lie!

john (my dad) has always told me that if i have a to park a mile away to avoid a possible door ding to tough-it-up and walk.
and i always do, even if that means parking on the far side of the lot (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

my friend whos 16 and all of 5'3'' and 105 lbs sopping wet, maybe, drove up to work was still in his truck (GMC sierra) and had some 30+ year old woman "kick" open her door and put a massive dent in his car. so he jumps out and starts yelling things like "you d*nm b*tch..." ect. and she and the driver (another woman of about the same age) both start arguing with him. they eventually tell him to eat it and walk off. he gets out and stands behind their car, so now theyre stuck, unless they run him over, and he calls the cops and they take care of it. got it fixed on their tab. wasnt really worth it though about a month later he got hit and bent the rear axel, frame and bed.

got it fixed though.

-shaggy
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 16 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #12

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

That's when you call some friends with a couple of really old beater cars. Then you park them so that they are within 1/4 inch of the (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/stromberg.gif) 's car on either side. Lock both cars, set the park brakes, get out and sit across the lot and watch their frustration when the realize that they can't get back in their car. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) You did absoultely nothing illegal by parking next to them, as you didn't touch their car. If they touch one of the cars, call the cops.

The only way they can get the car out is to call a wrecker. If they do that, get out and stand there. Politely inform the wrecker driver that if he touches one of the cars, you will sue him. When he finally gets the jerk's car all hooked up and ready to move. Jump in the beaters and drive them away. The wrecker driver will still charge the jerk for the wrecker call.

This trick is even more frustrating for the jerk if they parked nose in and left the front wheels turned. The wrecker driver will take one look and say that he can't help them without hitting one of the cars parked next to it. And he will still charge them for the towing call.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Oct 16 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #13

Sir Post-a-lot

LMAO!

thats good clay....

+Quote Post
goose2
post Oct 16 2005, 09:06 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 3,847
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

people like that really piss me off...and everyone who cares about cars has a similar story, right? Here's mine. Many years ago a had a '63 E-Type roadster. I spent 6 months on the body creating the ultimate paint job on it. One week after it's done and re-assembled I go to a party, drink too much and come out to my car late at night feeling downright ornery. There's a door ding in my new paint...grrrr. Being drunk and pissed beyond all sensability, I proceed to kick in the door of the Ford parked next to me (I did check to make sure the paint and ding matched his door). Still not feeling sated, I left a note on his windshield with my phone number suggesting he call me so we could get together and "discuss" the situation further. I never heard from the guy. I was probably lucky. Those who know me personally know this behavior is definitely NOT in my nature. Such is the protective passion of a man with a new paint job. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Oct 16 2005, 09:24 PM
Post #15

Sir Post-a-lot

in KY everybody has a gunrack in thier car.....for hunting

my gun is bigger than most people's so I usually can persuade people into seeing my way

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

b
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 16 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #16

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Sorry Dave!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
John
post Oct 16 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #17

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

I would have at least left the scene with four valve stems in my pocket....
+Quote Post
fiid
post Oct 17 2005, 12:28 AM
Post #18

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

Dave: Does your lawyer take cases like this? I got hit by a San Francisco Muni Bus and they won't pay unless I take it to court. I don't even know if it's worth it...

+Quote Post
OMB_Godfather
post Oct 17 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 4,823

Ya well at least your not a retard and clip a metal median on the freeway leaving 2 very nice dent strips across the whole side of your car. Ya im still a little pissed and ashamed about this cause it happened yesterday
+Quote Post
sj914
post Oct 17 2005, 01:27 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,053

Dave,
Let the guy burn.

A guy rearended my new truck that I just got a week earlier and the guy said it was no big deal. I told the guy, if he refused to give me information and drive off, I'd call the cops for a hit and run call. needless to say he gave me all his info.
The next day my insurance calls and tells me he never reported it to his insurance, so they did him a favor and reported for him.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:46 PM