Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vacuum routing questions., PO made a mess.
LowGT
post Oct 23 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #1

1.8 and Proud!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,904
Region Association: Southwest Region

Okay, this is how the car came from the PO. I'm trying to figure it out so I can get the car to idle correctly.

It's a 1.7 with 254 cam, mallory ign, and twin weber 44's. Car will idle, but not well. Otherwise it runs like a demon.

These are the vac issues I have, and don't know where they are supposed to connect.

1. I have one large vac nipple on each intake manifold.

2. Two similar size nipples to the driver side of the oil filler neck.

3. One breather/nipple on the oil filler resevoir itself.

4. One missing adjustment screw on one carb.

All of these are currently venting to the atmosphere. I can handle #4 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) but don't know where the others should connect, or if they should just be plugged. I looked through the haynes manual and it's pretty useless for vac routing when the factory FI is gone.

Help a teener out! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
swl
post Oct 23 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

I'm not good with proper names but there is a nipple at the cylnder head around #2 and #3. They go back to the flashback valve that is just to the drivers side of the oil filler. The flashback valve actually has 3 ports. 2 on the bottom - one points to the passenger side, one to the rear. Third port is on the top. The cylinder head hoses go to the two bottom ports of the flashback valve and then to the air intake. The the one on the oil filler neck also goes back to the air intake. I think this is just polution control - if they are missing they shouldn't hinder performance. Is that the same stuff you are looking at?
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Oct 23 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,634

If you are not using any vacuum advance on the distributor, which I presume you are not if you have a full on electronic ignition, all the other stuff would be oil breathers and what not for smog. Could get pretty messy if you just leave them loose.
+Quote Post
LowGT
post Oct 25 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #4

1.8 and Proud!

Member No.: 4,904
Region Association: Southwest Region

Here's some pictures to help. I appologize for my ignorance, I've only owned this car for a few weeks and I'm still learning what everything is/does. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Disty

This is the Mallory disty. I believe it's just a points type replacement disty, not the electronic one.

Head Port

Is this the port near the head you were talking about? It currently is plugged.

Intake port

This is the vacuum port on one of the intake manifolds, it's just open right now and is an obvious vac leak, but I'm not sure if anything needs to be connected to it or if I can just plug it.

3 Ports

Here are the other 3 ports, one next to the oil filler and the other 2 on the driver's side of the oil filler.

As far as emissions go, I would doubt any of those devices exist on the car anymore.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 26 2005, 12:57 AM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

"Head Port" is actually just a port in the fan shroud. It would, in a car with everything hooked up, be pushing air into the charcoal cannister that lives on top of the fuel tank (70-74 914s) or in the engine bay (74-76 914s).

"3 Ports" shows the PCV valve--the one next to the oil filler. In a stock 72-74 setup, this would be plumbed to the intake manifold. The other ports off to the side are a funny "T"--you'll find that there are three ports on it. This T has a screen in it to act as a spark arrestor. In a stock 72-74 914, it joins the lines that come out of the rocker box (the part of the cylinder head where the rocker arms live) into a single line that goes to the air filter. The ports on the rocker box are down by where the manifolds bolt onto the heads--I didn't see it in your manifold pic, but I'm not sure you showed that exact area of the head in the pic either.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 02:01 PM