Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ignition Switch, Return from "start"
tyler
post Oct 24 2005, 08:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,192

1970 914-4
Does anyone know the cause of the ignition lock not springing back from the start position? I'd like to be able to do a fix or replacement without pulling the electrical portion.
Thanks,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maf914
post Oct 24 2005, 08:56 AM
Post #2

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

I have replaced the rear plastic portion of the ignition switch twice over the years. This is a VW beetle piece and is not too expensive. This piece contains various little springs and balls and it controls the motion of the key travel. Yours may be failing. If so, you will have to replace it. It's been quite a few years since I last did this, but I think to replace it you have to remove the steering column cover.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Oct 24 2005, 09:08 AM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (maf914 @ Oct 24 2005, 06:56 AM)
I have replaced the rear plastic portion of the ignition switch twice over the years. This is a VW beetle piece and is not too expensive. This piece contains various little springs and balls and it controls the motion of the key travel. Yours may be failing. If so, you will have to replace it. It's been quite a few years since I last did this, but I think to replace it you have to remove the steering column cover.

A '70 takes a more expensive switch than the later cars, but the end result is the same ...... a new switch will fix the problem. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
tyler
post Oct 25 2005, 01:14 PM
Post #4

I'm surprised that it's the electrical part but if that's where the return spring is, that's what I wanted to know. I've had this switch out when I replaced the directionals switch, but it was working then.
I see prices all over the place and some are just for the "electrical portion".
The best deal looks like this one on ebay - see anything wrong with it? It looks like it's complete - just insert the tumblers.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 25 2005, 01:38 PM
Post #5

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

On the early car you will have to cut the wires from the switch and splice the new one in....ain't no plug like the later cars...... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Oct 25 2005, 02:12 PM
Post #6

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (SLITS @ Oct 25 2005, 11:38 AM)
On the early car you will have to cut the wires from the switch and splice the new one in....ain't no plug like the later cars...... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif)

There is a plug, but it's quite far from the switch, and is joined with wires from the turn signal/high-beam switch at that plug.
+Quote Post
tyler
post Oct 26 2005, 08:14 AM
Post #7

I guess the old adage about "if it's not broke, don't fix it" is true again. I found the old switch so I replaced it last year when I did the directional switch - thought that would be smart - wrong.
The spring is in the electrical, bottom part (my old one is cast, not plastic) which has a slot to take the male piece from the cylinder. It works fine.
I did reconnect to the plug under the dash which is not too bad as long as you make a connection diagram first.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 26 2005, 09:27 AM
Post #8

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Oct 25 2005, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Oct 25 2005, 11:38 AM)

There is a plug, but it's quite far from the switch, and is joined with wires from the turn signal/high-beam switch at that plug.

I stand corrected.....the switch I bought only has pigtails

(IMG:http://www.rccauto.com/engine/switch.jpg)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 03:34 PM