Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine/tranny reinstall, for Babydoll
zymurgist
post Oct 25 2005, 05:16 AM
Post #1

"Ace" Mechanic

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

OK, I've been thinking about the logistics of this. I have a 2 bay garage with a Corvette in one side (running but only comes out whent he weather is nice) and a 911 in the other (not currently drivable). Babydoll is parked in front of the bay with the 911, on a lightly sloped dirt/stone driveway. To get Babydoll into the bay where the Corvette is, Babydoll will have to be pushed uphill and then backed into the garage. To get Babydoll into the bay where the 911 is, there's just a little less uphill pushing, but a lot more work for me to get the 911 in shape to be driven out.

I've been thinking about how to put the engine and tranny back in, without having to get her into the garage. And I came up with this idea... why not roll the engine/tranny out of the garage onto a few sheets of plywood, and use my trusty engine crane to lift Babydoll's posterior high in the air? Could I connect the crane chain somewhere in the back of the car?

Is this even a sensible idea?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
plas76targa
post Oct 25 2005, 06:18 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,700
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ken,

I'd be a bit concerned about the slope of the driveway, however slight. I pulled my 911 engine years ago (outdoors) but on level ground...and used plywood sheets to roll it around.

Since we both have dead 911's .. I suggest we pool our resources (minds and tools) and help each other get these tail draggers on the road.

Pm me or we're going to get booted outta here and sent to the bird board! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Oct 25 2005, 08:38 AM
Post #3

"Ace" Mechanic

Matt,

My tail dragger really isn't too far from working. It's more a matter of not having time to work on it than anything else. But if you want to trade my (limited) 911 expertise for your 914 expertise, that would work well too. Actually, if I could get 2-3 guys pushing Babydoll around, we could get her into the garage. It's just a matter of lining up people for the job since I live in BFH. (And lining them up on a sunny day so I can pull the Shark out of the garage.)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Oct 26 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #4

"Ace" Mechanic

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon_bump.gif)

Has anyone ever tried to lift the rear using a crane?

Anyone?

Bueller?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:10 AM