Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ohio Plates, Historic vs. Regular
Buckeye '73
post Oct 25 2005, 09:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,963

Alright...

The Historic Ohio plates are cool (and cheap). The regular plates are.... well, regular.

The BMV tells me that the Historic plates are for club, show, parade, etc ONLY. They say that I can be ticketed if I'm driving it to work to show it off.

My brother n law is a 10+ year state trooper and says that he has never and would never issue that citation.

I notice in the pictures on this site that most of you do not have the historic plates. Anybody have any insight on their decision making process?

Also, this will not be my daily driver, but I will drive it on many nice days and would like to take it to some local race events.

Thanks all,
Bryce
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
STL914
post Oct 25 2005, 11:00 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,271
Region Association: Upper MidWest

In Missouri, any one issued "Historic" plates is restricted to the amount of mileage driven in a given year. You are also required to keep an up to date log book in the vehicle documenting the dates driven, purpose of the drive, and mileage of that particular drive. If you are pulled over for any reason, the officer can request your log book to see if everything is in compliance with the state's regulations.

The former owner of my 72 had the car licensed in this way and maintained the log book as required. He put on less than 1,000 miles a year. He was on one occassion stopped and was asked for the log.

I guess it all depends on the your own feelings, how often and how you drive the car. If you're prone to being stopped, and you drive more than the allowed miles per year, it's not worth the hassle.

+Quote Post
ws91420
post Oct 25 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #3

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

In VA you can only drive with historics if going to a show, parade, to have service done, or to exercise it on the w/e. It also limits miles put on it in a year. Now they have an option to get historic plates as regular plates i think. the only diference is you carry renewal stickers in glove box and are required to have the state inspection, but no limits on driving if im correct.
+Quote Post
dralf
post Oct 25 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,597

I was considering Historic Ohio Plates myself, however, some of the guys at work that have them mentioned that driving at night is restricted. I decided at this point not to risk it.

What I really need is Jack Stand Plates ! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 25 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #5

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

I have regular plates in PA. PA issues Antique (>25 year) or Classic plates (>15 year). For either one, daily driving is prohibited. My insurance company only gives a break if I park the car for 3 consecutive months and give them my plates.

PA INFO:

§ 1340. Antique, classic and collectible plates.

(a) General rule.--Upon submission by a vehicle owner of information satisfactory to the department that a motorcycle or motor vehicle is an antique motorcycle or motor vehicle or classic motorcycle or motor vehicle or collectible motorcycle or motor vehicle, accompanied by the appropriate fee, the department may issue special plates for the motorcycle or vehicle. The applicant shall provide photographic proof in a manner specified by the department to demonstrate the condition of the motor vehicle. No annual registration fee may be charged for antique, collectible or classic motorcycles or motor vehicles.

((IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Use of plates.--It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with
antique, classic or collectible registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses. Occasional transportation shall mean no more than one day per week.

ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC VEHICLES

The following rules govern the issuance of antique and classic registration plates.

1. Definitions

A. “Antique Motor Vehicle” - a motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformance with manufacturer specifications. NOTE: Antique plates are not available for motorized pedalcycles or motorhomes.

B. “Classic Motor Vehicle” - a motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance. Any classic motor vehicle registered under Section 1340 (relating to antique, classic and collectible plates) on the effective date of the amendment to this definition which fails to qualify as a classic motor vehicle pursuant to these provisions may retain such classic registration unless another type of registration is applied for and issued for the vehicle. NOTE: Classic plates are not available for motorized pedalcycles or motorhomes.

Spoke
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 10:10 PM