Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Here is the answer on windshields and racecars, Per the PCA
URY914
post Nov 7 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #1

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

This came up last week when JP was thinking about cutting his windshield off. I emaiiled the PCA technical chairman and got this reply...

"Wow, is there ever a lot of confusion. I am presuming that you are talking about GT-class cars -- obviously our stock class cars must have windshields.

Our GT-class cars do NOT have to have windshields, but obviously a driver in an open car must wear a full face helmet with the face shield in place, and wear arm restraints.

I think the origin of any confusion out there is not the windshield, but the height of the front roll hoop on the roll cage. We changed the wording in Appendix A on roll bars and roll cages last year to the following: "The top of the main hoop (and front hoop if applicable) must be at least 2" above the driver's helmet when the driver is seated in the normal driving position. Additionally, if a full cage is required, the top of the front hoop and the top of the main hoop must form a plane that is above the driver's head. In open top cars, when a full cage is required, the front hoop must also extend 2" above the driver's helmet."

OK, that was serious overkill, since we said basically the same thing three times over, but the general idea was that we were no longer going to allow open cars with low front roll hoops -- and quite a few of these were built some time ago. However, they are not grandfathered -- this is a safety issue.

Does that help?
Donna"

So boys you CAN (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif) after all
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
URY914   Here is the answer on windshields and racecars   Nov 7 2005, 09:21 PM
maf914   Actually, that confuses me.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 07:00 AM