Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3.2 liter six, When you say fast...
John
post Nov 15 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #21

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

I can run with all but the most highly modified 944 Turbo out-and-out race cars in our 3.2 914-6.

I can outrun most of the mildly warmed over 944 Turbos, but I have been doing DE events for the last 18 years (which probably has something to do with it).

It really pisses those 944 guys off. Our car is not chipped. The only mods from stock are: headers & exhaust, and a Cone style air cleaner.

Even on our track tires (245/45-16) and with a quafe, I must pay attention to how much throttle is applied or I can get some wheelspin.

The first time I drove the car after installing it in the car some 13 years ago, I thought we were nuts. I am now used to it.

I believe that your car must be down on power. I suggest you check your throttle linkage and your air flow meter.

The car is easily as quick as my 930, but I doubt that it is as fast. I don't think our 915/916 is geared as tall.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rcarpen22
post Nov 16 2005, 06:14 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 4,805
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I wonder if the gearing is part of the issue. I have a 901 but I'm reasonably sure that the gearing is NOT stock. Topped out in 5th gear the speedo reads about 145 but I know it's way off. I think the car is actually running out of gear at around 115 or maybe 120, which doesn't jive with the gearing that I've seen listed for stock 4-cylinder 914s. I also am curious about the timing. I've heard people say that they got some hp out of advancing the timing after they put aftermarket chips in.
+Quote Post
ken914
post Nov 16 2005, 07:42 AM
Post #23

Whole lot 'O 914/6

Member No.: 3,122

Rob,

Easiest answer is to come drive my car in Charleston. It is an SC engine built to 3.2 liters, with webers. Should be pretty similar.

Ken
+Quote Post
rcarpen22
post Nov 16 2005, 08:26 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 4,805
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ken,
That's the best idea I have ever heard. I can't wait! Some weekend in early December let's plan a day to drive 914s and pull 356 engines.
+Quote Post
John
post Nov 16 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #25

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

I also am curious about the timing. I've heard people say that they got some hp out of advancing the timing after they put aftermarket chips in.

Ummmm, the chip sets the timing. The distributer in a stock 3.2 has no adjustment. It is not a slot, it is a hole. The only thing the distributer does in a stock 3.2 is to direct the spark. The MOTRONIC controls timing and advance.

I would check the air flow meter if you can't get any wheelspin with narrow tires. You could also drive that kind fellow's 3.0/3.2 with carbs to get a feel for the kind of power you should have.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:40 PM