Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tell me everything you know..., about Centerline wheels
Dave-O
post Dec 4 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Is winter done yet?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,082

Hi Guys/Gals,
I'm switching AX classes next year and it will allow me to run 7" rims. I've been doing a little research and found centerlines from summit for $155 a piece. What's the scoop on these? They are advertised as "drag" wheels, but I see a few members are running them on race and street cars. Can they take the abuse from AX?

Also, they have a shank style lug. Does anyone have a source for the VW/914 lug bolts for centerline wheels?

Finally, how much do these wheels weight? I'm looking for a relatively lightweight wheel, but I wouldn't mind a little extra weight in exchange for added durability.

Are there any better options for the same or less price?

Please weight in with your information and experiences. Thanks!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ft.lbs.
post Dec 4 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,376

Dave,I have 2 15x11" centerlines that came off of my dodge superbee that i've considered using on my 914.(make wheel adapters or redrill my hubs)I'll never have $3000+ to buy my "dream" wheels,so i've been looking for alternatives.I'll weigh a wheel tomorrow after work.-Cody
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 4 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

my car had 7" centerlines on it when i bought it. with 225 tires. wicked deep offset, *NO* spacers required to fill out the GT flares!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif) Andy

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 4 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

one möre ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Dec 4 2005, 06:16 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 391

I have Centerlins on my 2L vintage race car, the 15x7 type. With the Goodyear 9x23x15 slicks thety are unbelievibly light! If I remember correctly the "road race" are different than the "drag" so I would contact Centerline to be sure. Mine also have an insert in the bolt holes for reenforcement. The drag racers get very little side load while we get lots of it.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Dec 4 2005, 06:35 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589

I know my grandmother used to work for them. Thats about it.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Dec 5 2005, 04:25 AM
Post #7

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

One of my previous race cars came with a set of Centerlines.
They are light and strong. I dumped 'em for several reasons.
1.) I was having problems over heating my brakes and I was afraid that the solid wheels might be part of the reason because no air could get in or out.
2.) I don't like the way they look.
3.) I decided to go 5 lug.
4.) I wanted Fuchs.

Are there any better options for the same or less price?

Panasport make some good, light and strong race wheels.
I am not sure if you can find them in the right offset.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 5 2005, 09:58 AM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

so you plan on running GT flares or cutting up your fenders??

as far as I know, Centerline does not make a wheel that'll fit under the stock fenders (unless you switch to a different "ricer" bolt pattern, then you could run thier new rotary forged 15x7 which weigh about 11 pounds each and are designed for auto-x)

+Quote Post
Korijo
post Dec 5 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #9

[]D o [] o []V[] o []D

Member No.: 914

gud wheelz (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Dec 5 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #10

Is winter done yet?

Thanks guys, I have a little more info. A friend of mine contacted them about a year ago when he was looking for 7" rims. Apparently they still make 2 different kinds: a lightweight one for drag-racing, and a "beefier" one for cars that turn. They strongly advise not using the lighter weight wheels for an AX car. However, he thought the stronger wheels weighed something like 18-20 lbs a peice.

as far as I know, Centerline does not make a wheel that'll fit under the stock fenders (unless you switch to a different "ricer" bolt pattern, then you could run thier new rotary forged 15x7 which weigh about 11 pounds each and are designed for auto-x)

They sell 7's in a 4.8" backspace. The fenders may have to be pulled a little more, but it will be close

Does anyone happen to know the going rate on a set of pana's these days?

I have Centerlins on my 2L vintage race car, the 15x7 type. With the Goodyear 9x23x15 slicks thety are unbelievibly light! If I remember correctly the "road race" are different than the "drag" so I would contact Centerline to be sure. Mine also have an insert in the bolt holes for reenforcement. The drag racers get very little side load while we get lots of it.

John, do you know about how much your wheels weigh? I wonder if they changed their design or if my information on the weights is incorrect.
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Dec 6 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #11

Is winter done yet?

Just got this email back from Centerline. Another dead end in the wheel search. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) I might call them directly and talk to someone who isn't involved in sales just to verify this.

i don't believe we are still actively involved in that market. The only wheel I still do in the 4x130mm bolt pattern would be the classic Auto Drag wheel. Thanks for your interest, nicole

Nicole Sheehy
Center Line Forged Wheel
Sales Department
800-345-8671 x5
www.centerlinewheels.com
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Dec 6 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #12

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

go to http://www.circleracing.com/ They got all the wheels you need. give them a call and they can help you decide what is best.
I am a personal fan of the aluminum 15 x 8 road racing wheel about 250.00 each 13 pounds or some steelies @ 16 pounds 70 bucks a pop.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Dec 6 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #13

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE (Dave-O @ Dec 5 2005, 07:38 PM)
Thanks guys, I have a little more info. A friend of mine contacted them about a year ago when he was looking for 7" rims. Apparently they still make 2 different kinds: a lightweight one for drag-racing, and a "beefier" one for cars that turn. They strongly advise not using the lighter weight wheels for an AX car. However, he thought the stronger wheels weighed something like 18-20 lbs a peice.

They sell 7's in a 4.8" backspace. The fenders may have to be pulled a little more, but it will be close

Does anyone happen to know the going rate on a set of pana's these days?

John, do you know about how much your wheels weigh? I wonder if they changed their design or if my information on the weights is incorrect.

Dude! Those are boat anchors at 18 lbs a piece. My 15x8 Keizers weigh 9.85 lbs a piece.

+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Dec 6 2005, 06:25 PM
Post #14

Is winter done yet?

QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Dec 6 2005, 04:48 PM)
go to http://www.circleracing.com/ They got all the wheels you need. give them a call and they can help you decide what is best.
I am a personal fan of the aluminum 15 x 8 road racing wheel about 250.00 each 13 pounds or some steelies @ 16 pounds 70 bucks a pop.

Thanks Joe, I have been eyeing up the Circle Racing aluminum wheels in 15x7. But dropping $1000 on wheels right now just won't work. I'd love to run steel wheels but nobody seems to make any decent options in 7". I'm building the car for STS2 and 205-50-15 Falkens will be the tire of choice, no need for an 8" rim.

Dude! Those are boat anchors at 18 lbs a piece. My 15x8 Keizers weigh 9.85 lbs a piece.

I agree, I'd be happy with anything under 14lbs or so. Weight and price are certainly inversely proportional!
+Quote Post
ft.lbs.
post Dec 7 2005, 03:43 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,376

dave, i weighed my "drag" 15x12" and it was 15lbs.Not a light as i thought.Around the center hub its stamped bias tire only.?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 06:24 PM