Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Loud Knock - Very Scared, Need Help Immediately
jim912928
post Dec 10 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The temperature gauge reads oil temp...and is plugged into a sensor on the bottom of the engine concealed in this round thing typically referred to as the taco plate (bottom of engine on the drivers side). The temp sensor you are referring to on the top of the engine is used with the fuel injection system/ecu.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 10 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #62

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Unless you have a cylinder head temp gauge. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Dec 10 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #63

1975 914 3.0SC

Member No.: 3,523

Oh! Ok thanks for clearing that up guys. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) I'm still curious though as to any reason for the temp guage going up to pretty much as high as it can so quickly . . . Does anyone have an idea for why it does that? Let me know. Thanks
-Chris
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Dec 10 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #64

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

QUOTE (NeunXIV @ Dec 10 2005, 07:43 PM)
Isn't the temperature sensor on top of the heads though? That's the only reason why I would question it reading oil temp. But since I'm sure you're right, any possibility you could explain how it reads oil temp? Let me know. Thanks
-Chris

the oil temp one is on the bottom of the engine--left front near fan shroud....its a circular cut-out thing....

the one on top the heads is for cylinder head temperature measurement--typically to enrich the mixture of the air-fuel when the heads (and assumably the rest of the engine) is cold.

b
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 11 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #65

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (NeunXIV @ Dec 10 2005, 05:24 PM)
Everything did look ok under the valve covers and nothing felt loose so I'm hoping it is just a valve seat and won't be too tough of a fix.

Typically, valve seat problems show up as one valve that will not close. Or 0 compression on one cylinder. Did you do a compression test? Or at least listen to the sounds that it made while cranking? I would do that before tearing the engine down, myself...

My temp gauge goes all the way up to the red when it's only been running for 15 minutes at the most.

Plugged up oil cooler, at a guess. The "gunk" on top of the engine could also be on top of the cooler--and having little or no air flow through the cooler will result in high oil temps pretty quickly.

--DD
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Dec 11 2005, 01:18 PM
Post #66

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

the black stuff that came out of the super trapps... can you crumble the big chunks with with your fingers or crush it easily with a hammer? kinda looks like carbon buildup to me. (eventhough i do note the piece that looks like a chunk of valve seat...) =-)

just trying to be an optimist. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

if you cannot crush those pieces of stuff then you really do have a project to look forward to.

best fo luck.
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Dec 11 2005, 09:57 PM
Post #67

1975 914 3.0SC

Well we got the head partially off today. Need to drop the motor to get it completely off. But it looks as though one of my valve stems broke and the valve got pushed sideways back into the valve seat. It seems those little chunks of metal that came out of the exhaust were from the valve stem or the valve itself because it was really chewed up. Hopefully we can get the head off tomorrow and I can show everyone how bad it looks. Thanks
-Chris
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Dec 11 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #68

1975 914 3.0SC

I also wanted to ask . . . is it possible for a tach to be off? It seems like that is what's going on with mine. When I'm revving to "4000 rpm" it seems like I actually am hitting 5800 rpm like I should be. I hit around 30 mph in first gear at "4000 rpm" so I'm definetly guessing it's off. I'm going to put my old tach back in to see if it does something different. I think this had something to with my breaking a valve stem and all that (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) Hopefully my stock tach reads differently . . . Thanks
-Chris
+Quote Post
michelko
post Dec 12 2005, 01:35 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 1,404

QUOTE (NeunXIV @ Dec 11 2005, 09:55 PM)
I also wanted to ask . . . is it possible for a tach to be off? It seems like that is what's going on with mine. When I'm revving to "4000 rpm" it seems like I actually am hitting 5800 rpm like I should be. I hit around 30 mph in first gear at "4000 rpm" so I'm definetly guessing it's off. I'm going to put my old tach back in to see if it does something different. I think this had something to with my breaking a valve stem and all that (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) Hopefully my stock tach reads differently . . . Thanks
-Chris

Maybe you are using a "six-tach" on a "four-engine"?

The tach is counting sparks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) On an four you have two sparks every revolution, on the six there are three. So a six tach shows less rpm atached to an four- engine.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_flagge6.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 12 2005, 02:32 AM
Post #70

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Ouch, bad news. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pinch.gif)

I have an unknown condition 1.7 engine if it'll help you out any. PM me for details.

The tach could be failing. Most parts stores sell a fairly cheap meter that will tell you RPM. Would be worth having for double checking your tach as well as setting timing. Or borrow a spare tach from me or another closer member.
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Dec 12 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #71

1975 914 3.0SC

QUOTE (michelko @ Dec 11 2005, 11:35 PM)
Maybe you are using a "six-tach" on a "four-engine"?

The tach is counting sparks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) On an four you have two sparks every revolution, on the six there are three. So a six tach shows less rpm atached to an four- engine.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_flagge6.gif)

Well now that would explain everything! I probably was pushing the redline without even knowing it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) Damnit so I guess nothing was wrong with this motor, until now. Shoot well I'm going to make sure to put my stock tach back in now. Thanks for filling me in on that. As far as the 1.7 Mark, I shouldn't need anything from it. I think the only thing I'm going to need now is a good condition 2.0L head. I'm not sure if I need one yet, I'll have to ask someone if the one I have can be salvaged or not. Thanks
-Chris
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Dec 18 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #72

1975 914 3.0SC

Well here's what happened (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) And my dad told me the top of the piston is pretty torn up as well. Haven't looked for myself yet though. Here's a couple pics of the head.
-Chris

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Dec 18 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #73

1975 914 3.0SC

Another . . .

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post Dec 18 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #74

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

Nice Work.

This is typically what happens other than the valve seat not coming out. The stem gets streached and then it pops the head off...

That is why the 2.0L sodium filled exhaust vavles are NOT good.

Tom
+Quote Post
Allan
post Dec 18 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #75

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

If you can't find a head I'm sure it can be repaired...
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Dec 18 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #76

1975 914 3.0SC

Anyone have a 2.0L head for sale? Let me know please. Thanks
-Chris
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Dec 20 2005, 08:08 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 3,060

Mine made alot of noise when a valve spring broke and it sucked in an intake valve. Pop the valve covers and inspect then turn it over by hand and inspect some more. Is it idleing on all 4, I asume it is a 4 banger. I dont think the ign coil has a thing to do with a knock like you describe. Good luck but my bet it is time to drop the motor for repairs.
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Dec 20 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #78

Damn I did it again Replied to the first page not reading the whole post Sorry. Wish I had a spare head for you. How is the piston and cyl??
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Dec 20 2005, 08:16 AM
Post #79

Form the looks of that head it needed to come off anyway. Alot of blo by. Seat the cylinders into the head. Replace all valve springs both heads. And do pull the other head to check for blow by. And you would not want to rebuild one head and have the other one have leaky valves or blow by or weak springs. If you have the $$ call Jake he has fast parts fast. Again Good luck. Lots O fun there.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 12:36 PM