Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> really weird electrical problem..., ideas?
siverson
post Dec 9 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

Hi - I have a strange problem with my six conversion that's popped up.

My ignition key got stuck/melted in the "On" position. Was driving the car, everything was fine, started to smell something funny (thought it was under the dash, but turned out to be the white plastic thing the key plugs into that the wiring loom then plugs into), pulled over, and couldn't turn off the car. Key is stuck. I stalled the car to stop it. Couldn't start the car or switch it off.

Brought it home, checked things out, removed the key/ignition switch. Nothing seems wrong except that white ignition switch module melted! Everything works fine, and I haven't changed anything in 2,000+ miles, no fuses are blown, and as far as I can tell I have no shorts in the electrical system.

To test things, I pulled the module and then just ran a wire between two terminals in the switch to "hot wire" the car. Starts and runs fine, but the new "hot wire" gets really hot when driving!

Question: Why would there be too much current being pulled through the ignition switch all of a sudden?

Any suggestions on where to start to diagnose?

-Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 11:27 AM