Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Owner, Tones of questions....
zeppelin71
post Aug 21 2003, 05:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,058

Hi all, finally after years of dreaming and then finally realizing "why the hell don't you have one yet?" I went and purchased a Porsche. Actually, won an auction off ebay for a 73 914 which arrived today.

Unfortunately the ebay description and pictures of the car flattered it a bit too much. For starters, the seller said (quote) "It has the fuel injected 2.0 engine (I think)" I'm not sure, but I think all the 2.0L engines I've seen pictures of have a rectangular air box... this one has a round one that matches the 1.7L ones I've seen. Where is the engine number so I can tell for certain what's going on? I can't seem to find it anywhere!

How do you adjust the idle on these cars? Mine looks to have the stock fuel injection (not carborated like I see many of them have switched to). Mine is idling extremely high... I need to lower it.

Also, what is the red colored lever on the floor in front of the shifter? Is it a choke? I don't remember what you do with a choke if it is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) any help would be appreciated.

Well, still going over the car - it will need a lot of TLC but I feel the love already, and I've only driven it from the middle of my driveway into my garage!

Oh yah - here's the original ebay listing in case pictures would help...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2&category=6430

there a red reflector across the back between the tail lights. I don't think this is stock... is it? Are the side mirrors stock? Thanks!

cheers,
Markus
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Aug 21 2003, 06:05 PM
Post #2

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

Markus! Welcome to the BBS! :howdy:

The red lever on the floor is for heat. It is connected to the heater boxes, through a double wire that runs through the firewall behind the seat.

No, the center reflector wasn't stock. Some people like them, some don't. Do what makes you happy.

The mirrors aren't stock. From the pictures, I'd guess they were baby tornados? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'll leave the FI questions to those more qualified to answer them. Can you count the number of bolts on your heads? That's a good indicator of 1.7 or 2.0 engine (or at least heads).

Again, Welcome!

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Aug 21 2003, 06:07 PM
Post #3

Second thought... on review of the pictures, that looks like a stock 1.7. (What should be in a 1971 four cylinder car).

Looks like a conversion to a side-shifter tranny, too. That's generally thought of as the better of the two transmissions, because of the shorter shift linkage. Nice.

+Quote Post
sj914
post Aug 21 2003, 06:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,053

Oh, so your the one that won that.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Aug 21 2003, 06:10 PM
Post #5

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Welcome to our world! You will be addicted soooooonnnnnn (follow the bouncing ball (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) )

The exhaust looks like 2.0 but the fi doesn't look like any of the 8 2.0's that I have owned!

Jeff
+Quote Post
sj914
post Aug 21 2003, 06:12 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,053

What's that thing in the front compartment thats hanging on the firewall.

At least you got an early model with a side shifter.
+Quote Post
Lawrence
Post #7

Whoa... the VIN is a 1973 car, not a 1971, as advertised. It should have the side shifter tranny as standard. The bumpers are correct for a 73, too.

"Curiouser, and curiouser," said Alice.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
Post #8

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(zeppelin71 @ Aug 21 2003, 03:57 PM)
"It has the fuel injected 2.0 engine (I think)"

How do you adjust the idle on these cars?

Also, what is the red colored lever on the floor in front of the shifter?

there a red reflector across the back between the tail lights. I don't think this is stock... is it? Are the side mirrors stock?

first - welcome. this list, and the 914 RennList group are very valuable resources. and (IMO) join PCA. opinions vary - but if you don't like it after a year, don't renew.

"i don't know nothin' 'bout /4's" but perhaps i can get you started - others will follow and have lots more useful information, i'm sure...

"i think" - sounds more like 'i hope - i hope you won't know the difference...' it doesn't really matter - few of those engines are completely original after 30 yrs anyway, and just the engine number won't tell you the actual displacement (other than 2,0 cars are very rarely downsized...)

after you find out what you've got - go buy a repair manual - the Haynes is the 'standard reference' - available everywhere, usually pretty accurate. spend some time looking through the usual suppliers' websites and you'll find lots of other references...

red lever in air-cooled cars is almost always heater control; that's what yours is too.

reflector is not stock, it was a popular accessory for a while. side mirrors may or may not be stock - i haven't chased down your Ebay link to see...

good luck - these cars can be extremely frustrating but they are also so darned much fun ...
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Aug 21 2003, 06:16 PM
Post #9

Ski Bum

Good eye Lawrence! The engine number range you need to look for is GA0000001-GA0006765 if it is the original 73 2.0

Jeff
+Quote Post
zeppelin71
post Aug 21 2003, 07:09 PM
Post #10

wow - thanks for the replies!

The thing in the front trunk appears to be a coolant resourvoir attached to a pump. Also - possibly looks like a fuel pump in front? I hear this was a popular mod as well.

Dirty as hell this thing - looks like it sat for a very long time....

Dam - rear tire just deflated lol

> "Do what makes you happy."
Stock makes me happy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Original, stock, as-from-factory, design flaws (fuel pump location etc) and all.

Is it possible to find out what options came with the car from the factory? I hear that 2.0L cars came with a center console (with guages) in 73... I guess that's another reason I suspect this is not a 2.0L (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

So where would the engine number be located?

thanks again for the responses.... I look forward to learning as much as possible - hope to take it out for a spin this weekend,
Markus
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Aug 21 2003, 07:16 PM
Post #11

Ski Bum

Serial Number Location

Jeff
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Aug 21 2003, 07:17 PM
Post #12

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

Without closer inspection, I'd say that you have a 1.7 there. I base that statement on the round filter and the way the heat exchangers turn up towards the exhaust.

Also, I beleive that the device in the front trunk is an aftermarket electric windshield washer.
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Aug 21 2003, 07:19 PM
Post #13

One of the best resources for that kind of info, outside of Jon Lowe or Dave Darling...

Brett Johnson's book, "914 and 914-6 Porsche: A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity"

Most of your online parts places keep it in stock. I got mine from Zims in Texas in 2001.

P.S. This car *might* have started it's life as a 2.0, only the engine was replaced. The chrome bumpers and sail panel vinyl were an "Appearance Group" options availble in 73, that were commonly packaged with 2.0 cars. Also, a center console is EASY to remove. The Cardex may be the only way to know for sure.
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Aug 21 2003, 07:22 PM
Post #14

One question for you..

What's the deal with your front trunk floor? It doesn't look right. You should be able to touch the car's sheet metal down there, and see the spare mounting point. Do you have some kind of wood construct down there?

P.S. Don't take it personal... we nit-pick the hell out of cars around here. You'd never see pictures of MY trunks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
zeppelin71
post Aug 21 2003, 07:47 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Aug 21 2003, 05:22 PM)
P.S.  Don't take it personal... we nit-pick the hell out of cars around here.  You'd never see pictures of MY trunks!   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Trust me! I appreciate your comments! I appreciate as much nit-picking as possible.

I won't take it personally though I admit I'm a little embarassed to be asking my questions AFTER the cash has left my wallet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Unfortunately I wasn't able to dig that far down through the twigs, leaves and dirt today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'll take a closer look tomorrow and see what that's about.

Jeff - thanks for the link ... great pictures.

thanks again,
Markus
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 21 2003, 08:03 PM
Post #16

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

let's hope this is 1 car not 2 put together.

These signs of part 71 part 73 are a bit disturbing.
+Quote Post
cgnj
post Aug 21 2003, 08:19 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 403

Plug angle, oil bath, kick up HE's scream 1.7.

Front trunk looks like it had AC in it, that's where the big hole for the condensor goes. Got any unexplained holes in the front passenger wheel well?

Looks like a 73 to me, in the ad he says 71, but the description also says 73. Check all three vins, front passenger fender, windshield, and in the rear trunk.

I was once told that in 73, all CA cars had sideshifters no matter what engine. Is that true?

Fast idle = vacuum leak

Carlos
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Aug 21 2003, 08:20 PM
Post #18

Hi Sean,

I could be wrong... but the only signs of 71 is the typing in the eBay ad.

+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 21 2003, 08:36 PM
Post #19

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

that's good!
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Aug 21 2003, 09:02 PM
Post #20

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

I vote that its a 73 1.7L, becasue of the VINS indicated. The 73 2.0 cars did not have Riv wheels, they came with the 4 bolt Fuchs. A PO simply swapped the wheels and bumpers, and did the common center reflector thing.

But hey...a 2K 914... whaddaya want...it will make for a whole lotta driving fun and upgrades. If you want original blood, Concours Stock, open the wallet about 6K-10K more times.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 07:00 PM