Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New Owner, Tones of questions....
zeppelin71
post Aug 21 2003, 05:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,058

Hi all, finally after years of dreaming and then finally realizing "why the hell don't you have one yet?" I went and purchased a Porsche. Actually, won an auction off ebay for a 73 914 which arrived today.

Unfortunately the ebay description and pictures of the car flattered it a bit too much. For starters, the seller said (quote) "It has the fuel injected 2.0 engine (I think)" I'm not sure, but I think all the 2.0L engines I've seen pictures of have a rectangular air box... this one has a round one that matches the 1.7L ones I've seen. Where is the engine number so I can tell for certain what's going on? I can't seem to find it anywhere!

How do you adjust the idle on these cars? Mine looks to have the stock fuel injection (not carborated like I see many of them have switched to). Mine is idling extremely high... I need to lower it.

Also, what is the red colored lever on the floor in front of the shifter? Is it a choke? I don't remember what you do with a choke if it is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) any help would be appreciated.

Well, still going over the car - it will need a lot of TLC but I feel the love already, and I've only driven it from the middle of my driveway into my garage!

Oh yah - here's the original ebay listing in case pictures would help...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2&category=6430

there a red reflector across the back between the tail lights. I don't think this is stock... is it? Are the side mirrors stock? Thanks!

cheers,
Markus
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
dryheat914
post Aug 21 2003, 09:23 PM
Post #21

It's all good!

Member No.: 1,059

I too am new to all this, actually, I've owned my 72 and 73 for about 8 months, both gutted to make one good car, I wish you all the best and look out for the Rust Bandits! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 21 2003, 09:25 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yep, I vote '73 1.7 as well. I bet it had a/c at some point too.

On the positive side $2k is a pretty good deal, and it looks like the fuel pump has been relocated up front. What is that reservoir thing up there? Aftermarket Windshield Washer thing?
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Aug 21 2003, 09:31 PM
Post #23

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Sure looks like it could be a 1971 1.7L. Is that a non-adjustable passenger seat? I thought the pre-73 cars had the non-adjustable passenger seat?

Good luck with your *new* car. I just got mine a couple weeks ago. Now waiting for it to cool off a little in AZ.

boxsterfan
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 21 2003, 09:32 PM
Post #24

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

My car is/was a '73 1.7 and that air cleaner is just like the one on my car when it was stock. As you can see from the picture to the left, that was a long time ago.

Welcome aboard.

BTW, this is my 700th post.

Paul
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 21 2003, 09:36 PM
Post #25

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I think thats the stock oil bath air filter.. ie GET RID OF THAT HP STEALING THING!

and I do also agree that it looks like it was an A/C car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

Nice starter car tho!
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 21 2003, 09:38 PM
Post #26

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

My '73 1.7 didn't have an oil bath- had a paper element.

Paul
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 21 2003, 10:05 PM
Post #27

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thats because the 73 1.7l cars came with the paper air cleaners only the early cars had the stupid oil bath thing.

Geoff
+Quote Post
zeppelin71
post Aug 21 2003, 10:30 PM
Post #28

thanks again for all the comments...

its reasuring to know most of you don't think I was ripped off @ 2K... to be sure the paint and interior are in worse shape then they appear on the photos, but I'll be cleaning her up this weekend and hopefully taking it for a test drive (can't wait!)...

Carlos>> Fast idle = vacuum leak
ouch... I'll have to figure this out before I go for a spin, the idle is simply too high. To solve a vacuum leak, I'm assuming I'll have to replace the rubber hoses? Yes I'll be purchasing those suggested books ASAP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

BTW my kids love the car - my 2 year old son got behind the wheel (of course he was adimant that I fasten the seatbelt for him) and pretended he was driving a race car. I see there was a 2+1 seatbelt option available. That would be interesting...

Cool to know AC may have been in there... when Powerball finally agrees to let me win I'll have to find a unit to put back in there. Hell I'll buy one for each of you.

Speaking of finding stock items - how hard is it to find stock radios? Was there only one type of radio that came from the factory for 73?

enough excitement for one day,
thanks again all, it's a great feeling to ENTLICH have a Porsche! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
Markus
+Quote Post
Steve
post Aug 21 2003, 10:33 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

If I remember my 4 bangers the 1.7 and 1.8 had 4 bolt intake manifold head studs and the 2.0 had 3 bolt intake manifold head studs.
That's the easiest way to tell if its a two liter unless they swapped the heads.

There right about the air cleaner.
Only the 70 and early 71 had the oil bath setup.
I wonder if someone swapped the engine??
73 was the first year of the 2.0.

Best of look and welcome to the club.

Steve
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bmendel
post Aug 21 2003, 10:46 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 877

Since we're talking new owners here, I have a couple questions for my new 914.

Has anyone compiled a list of how much and what diameter hoses are needed to replace all the vacuum lines for a 73 2.0.

how much and what diameter hoses are required to replace all the fuel lines

I replaced 2 injectors that had leaking hoses, should I break down and buy the other 2 and replace them, or do the injectors usually outlast the hoses.

Can anyone in the Bay area recover the vinyl on the center console and duplicate the factory look for the seams?

If I can get all the hoses changed before the 30th and get it running smooth, I'll try to bring it to the breakfast, otherwise, I'll try for Septembers breakfast

Thanks
Brian
+Quote Post
-P-
post Aug 21 2003, 10:49 PM
Post #31

P-Factor

Member No.: 873

The bumpers, dash vents, and adjustable passenger seats all say 73. The engine looks like my 1.7L
+Quote Post
zeppelin71
post Aug 21 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #32

Heh P-Factor - I've got a 1.8T Jetta as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif), in fact my wife and I have always had a VW between us... so I actually LIKE the dual heritage of the 914.
Markus
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 21 2003, 11:20 PM
Post #33

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

The car appears to be a 73 1.7L 914. It pretty obviously had air conditioning at one point, or was in the process of being cut for it. Ugh. I don't like AC in 914s... Check the right-side engine shelf and engine tin to see if those have been chopped up as well.

The plug angle pretty much gives it away for me. The 2.0 heads are very expensive (much more so than the 1.7 or 1.8 ones) and the 2.0 914 heads only (plus 76 912E) have plugs that exit the engine tin on the vertical side parts. The plug wire in the one engine bay shot is very definitely coming through a hole in the top of the engine tin--so it doesn't have 2.0 914 heads. It may have more displacement than stock (not that likely) but it isn't a "real" 2.0 motor without the heads.

The round thingy on the side wall of the front trunk is the stock pre-75 fuel pump. Don't know what that rectangular thing is--stereo amp, maybe???

Brett Johnson says that in 1973 the following radios were offered, all from Blaupunkt: Wolfsburg, AM/LW (US version only had AM); Emden, AM/FM/LW (US version only had AM/FM); Hannover, AM/FM/LW/cassette. Other sources (e.g., Kap'n Krusty on the Rennlist who worked for the dealer at the time) say that most or all of the radios were added by the dealer or the importer. So any 1973-vintage radio would be equally "correct".

Fast idle is from a vacuum leak (could be internal through the Aux Air Regulator or Decel Valve) or from overly-advanced ignition timing. Check timing and dwell first.

Vacuum hose diagrams for some 914s (including 73-74 2.0 cars, but not specifically 73 1.7s) are available on Pelican Parts website--see my sig for the link.

Passenger's seat was made moveable in 1972. 72 cars also had the oil-bath air cleaner. (Been there, done that, got the mess all over my T-shirt!) The 73 1.7 paper-element filter is worth something to 70-72 owners who want to get rid of the oil-bath cleaner. Which does not appear to be much if any more restrictive to air flow than the paper-element one, BTW. Just messier.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. Have fun with the new 914!!

--DD
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Aug 21 2003, 11:51 PM
Post #34

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Hi and welcome to the club.

Looks like you got a not bad car for the $$.

It's nice to know there is another car owner close by (even if your 8 hrs away).

Clean it up and take more pictures, enjoy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 22 2003, 01:45 AM
Post #35

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Welcome to the joys of being a 914 owner!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Since it was sitting for a while, do a check over of the fuel lines around the engine and look for gas leaks especially around the injectors. Look for cracked or old fuel lines and replace. Also if you smell gas inside the car, your tank lines may be old as well. Leaky fuel is a BAD thing.

When you clean up the car, check aggressively for rust. The problem areas are around the battery area, the rear trunk, behind the seats, and underneath the car and rocker panels.

Before you spend your powerball money, check here first. I've received great information from folks here who have been there / done that, and you'll find it saves you time, money, and frustration.

Welcome again, and congratulations! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
zeppelin71
post Aug 22 2003, 10:20 AM
Post #36

Yup, you better believe I smell gas... we live in a town home with attached garage, I came downstairs this morning and the whole main floor smelled like gas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Thanks for the info...
Markus
+Quote Post
zeppelin71
post Aug 22 2003, 11:10 AM
Post #37

Dave Darling,

Thanks for the excellent information! Will be sure to frequent pelican parts' web site... is that your business or are you an employee there?

thanks again,
Markus
+Quote Post
zeppelin71
post Aug 22 2003, 11:20 AM
Post #38

Does anyone have an estimate of how many feet and what diameter of fuel line and vacuum hose I'd need to purchase to replace all of it? I think another "newbie" posted a similar question earlier in this thread.

Dam I smell like oil and gas... it's like being a teenager again lol

Thanks!
Markus
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Aug 22 2003, 11:27 AM
Post #39

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

The diagrams on PP website will give you the ID diameter and lengths of the vacuum lines.

I think it'll give diameter of fuel lines, but not the lengths. I remember using a piece of string to measure them out before I bought new.
+Quote Post
tryan
post Aug 22 2003, 11:40 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 184

please park that thing outside 'till you get it fixed.

trivia......how did led zepplin get its name?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 10:29 AM