Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fair Price, Newbie needs help
jarbuthnot
post Aug 22 2003, 04:38 PM
Post #1

Senior Woman Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,065

I bought a 914 new in 1971 and after 13 years sold it (it didn’t like winter) and I’ve regretted it ever since. So I’m now looking to buy one again. I’ve seen a few ads for cars I’m interested in buying, but how do I determine if the price is a fair one for the seller and the buyer? I’ve got the NADA prices, but it seems that most 914s for sale are over the suggested prices.

Since it’s unlikely I’ll find a 914 in Eastern Maine, how can I find a good mechanic to inspect the car for me?

Sure glad I found this site, it's got loads of good stuff in it.

Joan A
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Aug 22 2003, 04:49 PM
Post #2

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

Hi Joan,

Excellent question. We preach Pre-Purchase Inspections here.

Likely, you'll find the car you want on some classifieds section (here, Pelican, Rennlist), a swap meet, or through your local PCA/SCCA groups.

My bet is the first option. Usually, if there's a car you want to go see, inviting a fellow club member to go check out the car with you is a good way to go. Most of us are pretty good folks, and won't drink ALL of your wallet up when you buy lunch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

California/SW cars are usually the answer. Fly out and drive back is always a great adventure. Car shipping is available, and the folks on this list have a bunch of exerience with that.

Price is ALWAYS dependent on condition: biggest area is rust, of course. For the 4 cylinder cars, 73/74 2.0 cars are generally the most desireable, and usually cost more. Originality is only worth what you want to pay for it. Is a "factory perfect" muffler what you really desire, or will any serviceable aftermarket unit work? Do you want the perfect match to the factory vinyl, or will a nice recover on seats be okay?

Decide what you want, what options you want, and then buy the best condition car you can afford - investing a bit more now is better than trying to spend 5-10x that in repair bills later.

I hope this helps,
Lawrence
+Quote Post
tryan
post Aug 22 2003, 04:52 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 184

from my most recent pca 'valuation, a nice 74 2.0 is 7k average. 90% is 9800.
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Aug 22 2003, 04:55 PM
Post #4

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Aug 22 2003, 02:49 PM)
Fly out and drive back is always a great adventure.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
tryan
post Aug 22 2003, 05:03 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 184

wack off two k if you buy in california. those guys are nuts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) .
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Aug 22 2003, 05:44 PM
Post #6

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

Joan,

Welcome to the club!

I've been in your shoes. I looked for over a year. I searched all over New England and most of the NorthEast. I flew to Denver and L.A. I looked at 38 cars. I bought the 39th one I looked at, less than an hour from my house.

The classifieds here and other 914 sites are a good start. But, it comes down to networking. Let people know what you are looking for and what you want to spend. And, most importantly, participate in the forum. As someone that bought a 914 new, you can provide us a lot of insight. The more you participate, you will come to mind quicker when we hear of cars becoming available.

I got my car through networking. It wasn't advertised. But, someone who knew what I was looking for had me in mind when he heard that a 914 may be coming on the market.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
jarbuthnot
post Aug 22 2003, 08:49 PM
Post #7

Senior Woman Driver

Thanks for the welcome!

I definitely plan on getting a mechanic to look at the car, as I've not a clue. Has anyone used Auto Critic or AutomobileInspectionsonline.com? Any comments about them? What about Pep Boys, although my inclination is to take it to a Porsche dealer first, Pep Boys are everywhere.

I also plan on flying out and driving back, that's the whole point of having a fun car to drive, but my last cross country trip in my old 914, I blew a carburator or something in Needles, CA in summer. Had the car towed to Las Vegas, left it there for two weeks and came back for it.

The classifieds here are good and there are two possibles, plus two at another site. Didn't see anything at Renn and didn't know about Pelican, but will try them.

Thanks for the advise and I'll keep you posted on my search.

Joan A
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Aug 22 2003, 08:59 PM
Post #8

Shriveled member

Member No.: 271

Definitely get someone who knows air-cooled Porsche cars or at least air-cooled VW engines to go over the motor. You need someone with 914 knowledge to know all the tricky things to look for.

Pep Boys, Critic or AutomobileInspectionsonline.com won't know squat about 914s.

Pelican Parts has a Buyer's guide you can print out. Buy a copy of 914 and 914-6 Porsche (A Restores Guide to Authenticity) by Dr. B. Johnson if you want to brush up on differences between model years and learn how to determine what's stock and what's not.

There are hundres of us here around the country. IF there is a promising 914 you find somewhere else in the country, chances are someone on this group can look at it for you before you decide to fly out.

Best advice any of us can give you is... take your time and look for the RIGHT car...

Also, it's better to pay a few thousand more for a restored or mint car, then to get a project car and dump $5,000 in it to get it where you want.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Aug 22 2003, 09:00 PM
Post #9

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

QUOTE(jarbuthnot @ Aug 22 2003, 06:49 PM)
I definitely plan on getting a mechanic to look at the car, as I've not a clue. Has anyone used Auto Critic or AutomobileInspectionsonline.com? Any comments about them? What about Pep Boys, although my inclination is to take it to a Porsche dealer first, Pep Boys are everywhere.

i have had nothing but negative experience dealing with mechanics who were not intimately familiar w/ 914's. frankly, i wouldn't trust a Pep Boys or sim. mechanic to accurately diagnose the condition of your future car. porsche dealer's are way expensive and may not have any experience w/ 914's. find a shop that does primarily porsches and volkwagons. ask how many 914's they see on a regular basis. ask people on this board for recc's. learn as much as possible what to look for yourself.

or better yet, fly out to the bay area, buy a car w/ much less rust for much less $$$, and drive it back!

nathan
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Aug 22 2003, 10:07 PM
Post #10

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Hi and welcome to the board.

If you find a car near you. Take pictures of it and post them here. There is a wealth of well trained eyes on this board that can pick out possible future problems.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jarbuthnot
post Aug 22 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #11

Senior Woman Driver

My problem is, I'll most likely be doing all this by long distance and I'm lazy. Luckily I have a very good mechanic here who is an old-VW Bug bug, otherwise I couldn't even consider getting one (I'm in very rural eastern Maine).

I've been picking up stuff from your boards, and found some more that Dave Darling wrote on what to look for and was planning on giving that to the mechanic. I couldn't find the buyers guide on Pelican.

Thanks you guys. (Am I the only woman on here?) It's past my bedtime and my ISP keeps disconnecting me.

Joan A
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 23 2003, 08:20 AM
Post #12

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Hi Joan!

Welcome. You're not the only female, we've got a handful running around here somewhere.

I have to echo what everyone else has said so far.

+ Don't let PepBoys or Kragen or anybody like that touch a 914, they won't have the slightest idea-even with a "what to look for" sheet.

+ If you find something local or find a car with several pics, we'll scrutinize the car the best we can with the pics provided.

+ Buy a west coast car - they are cheaper there and they are much cleaner. My first 914 was purchased in Indy when I was 19 and it had major problems hiding under a nice paintjob. I lived in LA for 4 years and found that good rustfree and nearly rustfree cars are to be had for a good price. We have lots of folks in the LA, SF, Seattle and SD areas that could probably check out cars for you.

+ If you find a good car out west drive it home. Ask Curvie about that. I love the drive across the country, too!!

Best of Luck!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 23 2003, 08:35 AM
Post #13

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Jim Chambers has a 1971 1.7 in PERFECT ORGINAL condition for sale in the classifieds for $6500. If you want a nice 1.7 that is a great car as it has NO rust.

Geoff
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 23 2003, 08:39 AM
Post #14

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(jarbuthnot @ Aug 22 2003, 06:49 PM)
my inclination is to take it to a Porsche dealer first...

those guys are factory-trained mechanics. therefore, most of them only know water-cooled cars. some of them have never seen a 914 - do you want them learning on your car ? they've also probably seen very few pre-76 cars - all they know is galvanised bodies - they have little experience with the horrors of rust and where it lurks, especially in our cars.

true story - only a couple of years ago a Sierra Nevada Region member was on his way East to Parade in is 914.6 - which went on to win best in class at the concours. starter finally failed (weak point on these cars...) so he called a dealer on his route to the next overnight stop. the *Service Manager* said "wow! we've never seen a car as old as 1970, but we'll be glad to take a look" ! (you can imagine what i deal with when i'm traveling with the '53 ...)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 23 2003, 08:39 AM
Post #15

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

That would be a GREAT car!!!
no sail vinyl either!!!
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 23 2003, 08:47 AM
Post #16

Aircooled Baby!

If Jim is selling it, its a nice car. At $6500 that is a good price for a really nice low mileage car.
Buy the Best car you can afford unless you can only afford $2000. Save you money up if thats the case as a cheap car (project) will require so much time and money to make it at best a good car.
Geoff
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Aug 23 2003, 08:50 AM
Post #17

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Hi Joan, Welcome to the BBS! Great to have a lady member, especially an original owner. These cars are a hard habit to break...but who would want to? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) Its a great community and we are here to help.

You need to tell us specifically what you are interested in and be prepared to be patient. Good condition 914s here in Northern California are available, but its all about condition and price, and there is alot of junk too. There are a few of us here who will spot candidates for you and give you options. Tell us everything that is important for you:

year, color, engine size, options, condition, price range etc.

Most 914 owners want:

73-74 2.0L
Rust is not wanted anywhere, but one has to know where to look.

Or do you want a Six?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 23 2003, 08:52 AM
Post #18

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

love your new avatar, Bleysing. that simple framed white box with the striking red X is elegant in its simplicity, yet moving in its expressiveness...
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 23 2003, 08:56 AM
Post #19

Aircooled Baby!

Yeah, I worked really hard to achieve that effect. I don't know what wrong with the new one I downloaded this night. OH well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
Jims Car for sale, 1971

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 23 2003, 09:09 AM
Post #20

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

welcome, we LOVE to pick the cars apart. look for any picture with "rust" in the thread. me? look for a 2.0 73'. if you're looking for a comfy driver get a car that hasn't been sprung tight. how much do you have to spend? not specificly, just ballpark.

kevin
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 11:56 AM