Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Missing person report, I've been busy, but occasionally lurking
Part Pricer
post Dec 19 2005, 09:42 AM
Post #1

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

It has been a while since I’ve regularly participated in the Garage. I do try to check in at least once a day to check out the hot topics. However, things in my life outside the 914Club have been consuming a lot of my time over the past few months. Not that everyone cares, I’ve had a few people IM me asking what I’ve been up to. I thought that I would post it here to share with all. Here are the highlights:

I got a new job
Yep, that’s right. After a few years of being self-employed, I decided to let someone else worry about meeting payroll and sold my soul to the man. I actually had the luxury of choosing between multiple offers and wound up taking a position with IBM. The money is OK, the work is stressful, but I get to work from home. So, the commute is great. Also, IBM was the only company that didn’t insist that I give up my private consulting practice if I came on board.

My daughter graduated from college
My daughter finished up her 5-year undergraduate program in just 4.5 years and graduated from Drexel University this past weekend. For those of you not familiar with Drexel, the undergraduate plan is 5-years since the students alternate between going to class for six months then working at co-op jobs for six months. It takes a little longer, but my daughter graduated with 2.5 years of real-life work experience. Because of this, she had three solid job offers waiting for her upon graduation. It was nice for her to be able to pick-and-choose. She did great in school and I am sure she will do great in her career. She makes her dad proud.

My son turned 21
I never felt old until I had the opportunity to sit at a bar and have a drink with both of my children. However, I’m sure that I will feel really old when he graduates college next year. But, for now, it was a ritual of passing. It was enjoyable but kinda weird.

My dad has been in and out of the hospital
My dad is 89-years-old and has been fighting with many of the problems associated with his advanced age. It has been tough, but he has maintained his good spirit through most of it. For me, I've been spending a lot of time driving up and down the NJ Turnpike to go to visit him when I can. Right now, my dad is at home with my mother. Hopefully, his stamina wil hold up through the holidays.

We sold our house
This is longest we have ever lived in one place, nine years. I’ve enjoyed this place and will be somewhat sad when we turn over the keys to the new owner. However, with both of the kids gone, it was just too big for my wife and me. And, I believe that we are near the top of the market, so the timing is good. We are building a new house the next town over from where we are living now. But, all indications are that it will not be ready until June. So, we will be moving into a short-term rental until it is completed. I’m not looking forward to moving twice, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Which brings me to my next point

My 914 is for sale
Although I would love to keep it, it looks like I’m not going to have time for a recreational vehicle for at least a year. And, I don’t want to move it to a temp house then the new house. Since you’ve made it this far through my lengthy post, I’ll give you some of the details. 1974 914 2.0L, Ravenna Green, Koni’s all around, Momo & original steering wheel, two sets of wheels & tires, needs a new clutch. It is in Connecticut. Contact me and I'll give you a kickin' deal on a good 914.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
joea9146
post Dec 19 2005, 10:46 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 283
Region Association: None

Glad to hear you are doing well, Thanks for checking in, enjoy the Holidays.
Was wondering where you were... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 19 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #3

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (Part Pricer @ Dec 19 2005, 08:42 AM)
My daughter graduated from college

Is she hot?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Best wishes for your Dad. Aside from that, it sounds like life is taking a good turn for the most part. Well, except for the 914 too I guess. Can't find cheap (even if outdoor) storage?

Any way...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 19 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #4

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Glad to hear from you, but put the car in storage or you will kick yourself down the road........... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 19 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #5

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Bad time of the year to sell a car. Ask me how I know. I have 3 BMW's for sale and an M3 drive line. Haven't had one stinkin serious offer period. My advise, Don't sell the car.

BTW: Ravenna Green (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/drooley.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 19 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #6

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

Glad to hear from you Paul,
and that most everything is going well.
I agree about the car - find a place to store it for a while.
For anyone in the Northeast 914 market though, I can vouch for the condition of this car. When I PPI'd it before Paul's purchase several years ago I couldn't find any rust to be repaired. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Dec 20 2005, 10:53 AM
Post #7

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Except Gint. That's my daugher you're talking about! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/flipa.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Through this post, I unknowingly launched a stream of emails, IMs and PMs. I'll try to get back to everyone soon. But, I'm not sure when. I just got a crapload of stuff for work thrown on me this morning.

As far as keeping the 914, that really isn't an option right now. I'm sure that I'll kick myself later. But, I would prefer that it got into the hands of someone that has the time for it and would properly care for the car. It is probably best to be in someone else's hands anyway. It is a near-stock (minor functional improvements) survivor and probably should be kept that way. I had been looking at it and considering some changes for AX usage, but luckily I haven't had the time or money to make any mods. So, when the time comes for me to get back into 914s, I'll be looking at picking up someone's car at a percentage of the money that they have invested.

Thanks everyone.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)

P.S. If you asked about the car, I'll try to get back to you by Saturday.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 02:40 AM