Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question for those runnning a Wevo 915....., ......Yeah, both of you!
East coaster
post Dec 19 2005, 05:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 487
Region Association: None

So I know not many are running Wevo 915s, but somebody must have gone down the same road as me. I have a '74 914 (obviously a side shift setup) that will be receiving a 3.6/Wevo 915 conversion and a 915 style (Rennshift) shift lever. The 915 style shift lever has a cup type bushing on it and the side shift linkage is a bolt on arrangement (read: round peg in a square hole). What are you guys using for the shift rod through the tunnel? I assume either an early tail shifter rod or 911 rod??

I figured on fabbing the rod and joints from the firewall back, but thought I could get away with a stock piece in the tunnel, is that not true?

**If the answer is old tail shifter rod, anybody got one laying around? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Dec 19 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

The tailshifter rod is actually two pieces: the rod from the shift lever to the adjustment point (under the rear console plate), and the L-shaped "knob" piece, which actually goes through the firewall hole. Also, the diameter of this piece is bigger than the side-shifter bit, so the bushings aren't the same. You can certainly use the "cup holder" bit under the shift lever, but the rest you're going to have to fabricate.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Dec 19 2005, 05:16 PM
Post #3

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

You got it. The arrangement is the same as the tail shift trannies.

I went with a WEVO shifter ($$$$) and sourced an old bushing bracket from either a 911 or 914. I have a tunnel rod from PMS and fabbed the rest with steering U-joints from Liz's car and simple rod.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 19 2005, 05:21 PM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I don't have a 915 but I used the early shifter with the ball and cup (early shifter and linkage) including the swivel joint at the firewall, and the rear shift rod for the tail shift. I cut the rear section and added the side shift end to the rear rod.

I needed the oil pan clearance. The swivel joint moved the linkage over just enough to clear the pan.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Dec 19 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 487

QUOTE (914RS @ Dec 19 2005, 03:16 PM)
You got it.  The arrangement is the same as the tail shift trannies.

I went with a WEVO shifter ($$$$) and sourced an old bushing bracket from either a 911 or 914.  I have a tunnel rod from PMS and fabbed the rest with steering U-joints from Liz's car and simple rod.

914RS, By bushing bracket you mean the one that bolts into the tunnel just behind shifter?

I forgot about the tailshifter internal rod ending inside the tunnel rather than outside the firewall like the side shift does. Argh..looks like fabrication will have to start before the firewall. Oh well, I like makin' junk anyway (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Dec 19 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #6

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (East coaster @ Dec 19 2005, 04:05 PM)
So I know not many are running Wevo 915s,

Is this true? How many people here are running the WEVO sideshift kit? Just curious.

-Britain
+Quote Post
John
post Dec 19 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #7

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

You run into this dilema when using the Velios kits as well. 915 shifter and it's associated shift rod.

What I plan on doing is to cut the rear end off of my stock 914 front rod, and cut a section from a steering shaft (for the splines) I will weld the splined section of the steering shaft to the rear end of the front 914 shift rod (that penetrates the firewall bushing).

Then I can have adjustment of the front shift rod by utilizing the pinch bolt of the 911 front shift rod. This should allow the setup to be dialed in after the engine/trans is installed.

+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 19 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I got some 20mm metric tubing, and some 15mm rod. Using the rod at the end allowed me to drill a hole to take the factory piece under the shift lever (915 tower type). The other end also had a piece of 15mm rod protruding to attach a stock 911 shift coupler (just aft of the firewall).

The shift rod then goes straight back to the sideshifter console. I found an old piece of 914 (early style) shift rod to get the splined end on the forward end, and welded it to the same 20mm rod. This arrangement gave me some degree of adjustability at the shift coupler, though I did have to cut and weld the rear shift rod once to get it closer to what I needed after the engine was back in the car.

If you can find some old shift rod tubing, it probably would work as well, as I found that the new steel metric tubing and rod ran me over $200 for the few feet I needed. Part of the problem is that the late style cars cannot use the larger diameter early style shift rod. Not a problem if you're using a pre 1973 chassis.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Dec 20 2005, 01:00 PM
Post #9

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE (East coaster @ Dec 19 2005, 04:37 PM)

914RS, By bushing bracket you mean the one that bolts into the tunnel just behind shifter?

Yes on the bracket.

You don't use an early tunnel rod, you need to fab one or get one from PMS.
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Dec 20 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Has anybody asked WEVO if they have a kit that you can just buy?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 08:50 AM