Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paint Won't Dry??, Painted over Renu'd Gas Tank
vesnyder
post Dec 20 2005, 07:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,933

I am restoring my car and thought I would clean up the tank and give it a fresh coat of paint. I used some standard Rustoleum on a gas tank that has been treated with Renu several years ago. The paint still has not dried and it has been almost a week? I suspect I've used the wrong paint, but what do I do now - strip it and repaint? - wait 'til it dries (may be Spring)? - get a new tank?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brian_Boss
post Dec 20 2005, 08:37 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 781

I don't know what Renu is so this may not help you. Anyway, when I repainted an area of my 911 trunk that had the factory pebble finisish undercoat, I had the same problem. Paint (automotive enamel in rattle can) was still tacky after 2 weeks and I ended up wiping it down with brake cleaner which took off some of the paint but did let it harden. The area where I had stripped the undercoat and applied POR15 dried normally so it was definitely a reaction with the undercoat.
+Quote Post
914GT
post Dec 20 2005, 09:51 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

From my experience any phosphoric acid residue can interfere with proper drying of paints. Many metal conditioners and rust converters use phosphoric acid. Also, enamels can take a long time to dry especially when its cold. You could try putting a heat lamp or halogen light a few feet away and see if that helps dry it. If that doesn't work then you have to strip it all off with lacquer thinner, paint remover, etc. then prep for new paint. Just a satin black spray paint is the easiest but it's not very durable around the fuel filler area if you tend to spill a lot.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Dec 20 2005, 10:58 AM
Post #4

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

MMMMMmmmmmmm......

Rustoleum..........

And what is the rust preventative?

FISH OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)

Don't believe me? read the can......

Once you use it, you won't ever be able to paint over it with any other paint..... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

Ever wonder why cats like your car? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Ken
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 20 2005, 11:26 AM
Post #5

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I was once told that rattle can enamels never really dry...ever...

It never cures like a two stage paint or two part paint with catalyst paint cures...

Given that... I would say apply heat, a light of any type, or bring it inside for a few days...

If all else fails, it can easily be removed with laquer thinner...

Rich
+Quote Post
vesnyder
post Dec 20 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,933

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I have it in the house next to the furnace so it is not the cold. I also tried the heat gun and all this did was make the paint really tacky - like I just applied it? It seems to be drying verrry slowly, so I will give it a bit longer then I may strip it off and start again.
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Dec 20 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 366

Gas tank, furnace, Yikes!!!! be careful. Rustoleum if applied too thick will take forever to dry, also it is very improtant for the spray paint to follow the directions like 'recoat within one hour or after 72 hours" If you recoat inbetween these times (see lable) you will end up with a slow drying mess.

Rustoleum like many spray paints requires several light coats as per teh time constraints on the can. dont heed the warnings, and you will likely have problems. The underlaying paint might have someting to do with your problem. Give it more time, or strip it off and start again. sorry.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 11:06 AM