Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adjustable Brake Bias Valve, experiences? installation?
brant
post Dec 22 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #21

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (airsix @ Dec 22 2005, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Dec 21 2005, 06:21 PM)
QUOTE (brant @ Dec 21 2005, 03:28 PM)
tune it in on a dirt road

I would suggest tuning it on concrete--the grippiest surface you can find! You want to set it up for a worst-case, which is having the most weight transferring to the front wheels. That means sticky tires and a grippy surface. Set it so the rears are just shy of lock-up when you lock the fronts. (Ugh, sounds like a good way to flat-spot a set of stickies!!)

--DD

That's EXACTLY what I was going to say. If you tune the bias on a loose surface then you'll be locking the rears first when you get to a high-traction surface.
-Ben M.

All right...
let me clarify my statement.
When FIRST starting out and trying to get a rough estimate I still recommend tuning on a dirt road.

I did it by having a 2nd party stand outside the car and making slow passes in a straight line at only 15 to 20mph
I did it by making sure that I was not getting rear lock up first.

Then after getting my rough settings, I moved to the race track and did fine tuning.

I understand the concern about weight transfer.
but I really didn't want to test my rough settings at 80miles per hour.

Once on the old race car I had things set a little too close and actually had just changed race pads which upset the balance. I was on the back straight at 2nd creek in 4th gear at over 100mph when the rears locked up first. I went off the track and down into a good sized drop off at 80mph BACKWARDS!

(luckily I only tore off the brake ducts, and didn't damage anything else except my pride) Really created a lack of trust on my part in the braking zone of that straightaway for the entire rest of the weekend.

This is why I advised tuning on a dirt road at a SLOW speed. Yes there is overall less weight transfer, but there is overall less grip on all 4 wheels too. you won't be able to fine tune the set up, but you can get it roughly set at alot safer speed

brant
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Dec 22 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #22

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

I jsut talked with a frined of mine who said that the lever type valve (Tilton) has a very narrow range of adjustment, and that at full open already yields a 50% pressure reduction, and full closed goes up to only 75 % reduction. Seems like a bogus design...

Anyone else with direct experience with these Tilton valves?
+Quote Post
JWest
post Dec 22 2005, 04:39 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 97
Region Association: None

QUOTE (jhadler @ Dec 22 2005, 04:51 PM)
I jsut talked with a frined of mine who said that the lever type valve (Tilton) has a very narrow range of adjustment, and that at full open already yields a 50% pressure reduction, and full closed goes up to only 75 % reduction. Seems like a bogus design...

Anyone else with direct experience with these Tilton valves?

Here is the Tilton chart:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 03:58 AM