Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Interior Light, Different Types
tyler
post Dec 23 2005, 12:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,192

Can someone tell me about the backpad light? I'v got a supposed late model interior but the light has no switch. According to the wiring diagram there's also a direct ground wire to the switch, meaning the light has three wires off the back. Are all these lenses same shape, so if I find one with a switch, it will fit inside the chrome piece?
I notice the ones on Ebay are more money than the one that AA sells, but that's not uncommon.
BTW, I'm putting in new door switches and the new replacements that AA sells are real cheapos, exposed spring and all. And the switch makes the ground so the ground wire is eliminated (only 2 terminals). I haven't figured out the buzzer circut yet - none of the red wires seem to be a ground contact but that must be how it works.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 23 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

The interior light should have a switch incorporated in it. The side of the light is where the power lead connects. One side of the switch connects direct to ground, and the other side of the switch connects to the door jam switches, wired in parallel, to supply ground to the light when the door is opened.

The door buzzer circuit uses the other connection on the door jamb switch to supply ground to the buzzer. The key has to be in, and the door opened to get the buzzer to sound.

I don't know the details on the door buzzer stuff. I pull all that (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/stromberg.gif) out. I don't need big brother reminding me the key is in the ignition.

+Quote Post
tyler
post Dec 26 2005, 02:27 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,192

My mistake - looks like the guy I bought the car from put in a non-Porsche light with no switch. All wire up.
The new replacement switches won't work the buzzer anyway. They only make a ground connection. The red buzzer wires aren't grounded, they make a switch contact and the replacement switch isn't set up for that.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Dec 26 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #4

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

QUOTE (tyler @ Dec 26 2005, 01:27 PM)
The new replacement switches won't work the buzzer anyway. They only make a ground connection. The red buzzer wires aren't grounded, they make a switch contact and the replacement switch isn't set up for that.

In a circuit with a switch, one of the leads is broken with the switch. In the case of the buzzer, the ground lead is broken with the switch and when closed completes the circuit (just like the handbrake). The + power to the buzzer is constant and the ground side is broken by the switch in it's NO status when the door is closed. It is actually a NC spring loaded switch.

wheeeeeeee!
+Quote Post
smg914
post Dec 26 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #5

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695
Region Association: None

For all you anal/purists......There are at least 8 or more versions of the interior light that will fit a 914. But only one is correct.

Chrome bezel, flat/square/ribbed/white/on off switch, HELLA/Made in Germany/VW on the face, 3 male push on type connectors, 2 spring connectors that the light bulb fits into.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
msglaigaie
post Dec 26 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #6

msglaigaie

Member No.: 3,761
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Ouch. Thats so, so, correct. It almost feels german.
MSG L
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:35 PM