Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Nearsighted, but afraid of LASIK?, Safe, reversible corneal correction
double-a
post Jan 7 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

i had lasik done about six months ago, and it's wonderful. as many have noted, there are halos and/or starburst effects at night, but that usually improves with time. i don't have halos anymore, just slight starbursts around points of light. doesn't bother me at all and it should get even better.

many people are afraid of "the knife" that comes in to slice your eye open. it's not really a knife... i didn't even know they were doing it when the cut was made. the freaky part was the smell of my cornea burning from the laser (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

~a
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Jan 8 2006, 04:10 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Jan 7 2006, 03:27 PM)
Very cool reading. Thanks for sharing. I wear contacts and have since 1982. I will look into this corrective procedure. I will say that we have a lot of customers who have had the laser eye surgery with NO light issues at night. My site hasnt changed since 1989. Same prescription. I also dont consider myself "bad" mine are -1.50

Thanks again (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)

B

Same here Brad. My eyes crapped out in 82 and have been steady at -1.5 for 10 years or so. I am very happy with the procedure. Only problem now is I need to wear safety glasses again.
+Quote Post
CHAFF
post Feb 10 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 2,749

Well, went for the initial CRT exams today.

Bad news:

I'm on the limit...(they say -6 or so on the website)...practically its around -4.
No regular contacts for 10 days before the procedure.
400 bux CDN every 2 years or so for 2 pair of the special correcting lenses

Good news:
should hopefully get around -.5 when all said and done.

Cheers
Luis

Thanks for posting this guys...I never would have found it otherwise.
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Feb 10 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #24

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

my old secretary went to work for an eye doctor. She said only use the new technology where the computer scans your eye, and determines the correction for your eyesight. In other words, make sure the facility has the most current equipment and technology.

+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Feb 10 2006, 12:11 PM
Post #25

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

QUOTE (WRX914 @ Feb 10 2006, 10:05 AM)
In other words, make sure the facility has the most current equipment and technology.

Which is what bothers me about all the laser procedures, I think the technology is still evolving at a rapid rate. I'd rather do the not-permanent option until I see a technology that I'm convinced meets all the criteria. Meaning:

• no halos
  • no cutting
  • no accelerated farsightedness

Thanks for reminding me I need to do more research.

+Quote Post
STL914
post Feb 10 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,271
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE (Porcharu @ Jan 6 2006, 09:35 PM)

Yep, that's what I had. Vision gets a little better each day. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif) No pain no issues. I am glad I waited until the technology matured to the point it is at now. I think the next big thing is getting the price down so more people can afford it.

Steve,

Was any portion of your "surgery" covered by insurance? Care to give us a ball park figure as far as cost involved, both the consult and the procedure?
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Feb 10 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (WRX914 @ Feb 10 2006, 10:05 AM)
my old secretary went to work for an eye doctor. She said only use the new technology where the computer scans your eye, and determines the correction for your eyesight. In other words, make sure the facility has the most current equipment and technology.

That's what I did. Newest stuff with an experienced doctor.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Feb 10 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (STL914 @ Feb 10 2006, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (Porcharu @ Jan 6 2006, 09:35 PM)

Yep, that's what I had.  Vision gets a little better each day.   (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif)  No pain no issues.  I am glad I waited until the technology matured to the point it is at now.  I think the next big thing is getting the price down so more people can afford it.

Steve,

Was any portion of your "surgery" covered by insurance? Care to give us a ball park figure as far as cost involved, both the consult and the procedure?

Nothing was covered by insurance. I used a medical savings plan we have at work. I think anyone can do it. The whole thing was $5400. I spread it out over 2 years. It's all pretax so the real cost is about 1/2. The consult is free.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:46 PM