Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ITS ALIVE...., here ya go john :)
VegasRacer
post Mar 24 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #41

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

Thanks Ernie. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif) I knew you would come through.
This is gonna be GREAT! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)

The Official Thread has been posted in The Garage Forum. I guess we will soon know how many we can expect to join us for the fun.

The only thing we still need to nail down is a place for dinner in Prescott on Saturday.

Thanks soooo much for the prizes Brian. Your 944 is more than welcome. Please send me your logo by e-mail. I think your contribution merits having it on the t-shirt.

Jeroen - once again (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif) can you please create another graphic masterpiece for us to print on the t-shirts.

There is a separate planning thread about Awards Classes.
Please post your ideas and comments.

*(I think this thing is really gonna fly.) :giddyasaschoolgirlsmilie:

What are we forgetting? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Mar 24 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #42

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

John -

One correction to the official thread: There are 2 locations for "The Place", downtown and Eastside. We will be at the Eastside location because it is larger. The downtown location is quite small. The correct address is 3518 E. Route 66 (behind the Burger King). I'll try my contact again tomorrow morning to confirm this, otherwise the confirmation will have to wait until Monday.

Oh, and folks need to mention that they are with the "Porsche 914 Group" when they call the Colony Inn. I'll call them tomorrow also since I said I'd confirm the arrangement with them.

I'll work on some maps for folks to make sure that people know how to get from point A to point B.

Good job on the official thread!

This post has been edited by ThinAir914: Mar 24 2006, 10:37 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Mar 24 2006, 11:16 PM
Post #43

ELVIRA

Got it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/splat.gif) Correction made to the *official* thread.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Mar 25 2006, 12:42 PM
Post #44

Best friends

Hotel in Prescott is confirmed so they are expecting to get calls for reservations.

My contact at Mike & Rhonda's doesn't work weekends so I won't be able to confirm that until Monday (depending upon what's happening with the granddaughter's birth).
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Apr 28 2006, 07:27 PM
Post #45

ELVIRA

I just got off the phone with an old contact I forgot I had who lives in Cottonwood.
He had a few great suggestions for stops along our drive from Flagstaff to Prescott.

As we come out of Flagstaff going south to Sedona via the Oak Creek Canyon highway there is an Indian Encampment on the left side of the road. He said it is worth a stop. They sell genuine hand made jewlery and crafts. Not the Chinese crap you find at most other places.

According to him an absolute don't miss stop is 2 miles west on the main road in Jerome. He said to go up the hill on the gravel road to the Gold King Mine. There is lots and lots of stuff to see up there. Allow at least 1 - 2 hours. Talk to Don Robertson who runs the saw mill. If you pay him $5 he will fire up 'Big Bertha'. It is an antique 3 cyl Fairbanks Morris motor. (10,154-cubic-inch engine. The flywheel alone weighs 13,000 pounds) He added that when he shuts it off it backfires through the huge exhaust pipes and you can hear it for 15 miles.

I think this sounds a lot better than spending much time in Sedona. From Jerome it is a 45 min drive to Prescott. Also, I have been to Sedona a few times. It is nice, but it is an overly commercial tourist trap. Jerome and Prescott both should have more than enough tourist and antique shops to fill the void.

Here are some photos I found of Jerome.
http://www.pbase.com/glassgarden/jerome

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Apr 29 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #46

Best friends

My plan for the trip south was for a quick stop at the overlook at the top of Oak Creek Canyon, then head down the switchbacks. The place you are talking about is calle Indian Gardens - It's a little bit like Hackberry. There should be plenty of parking and folks can cross the highway to see the creek if they want to.

I figured we could skip downtown Sedona, but we should make some kind of stop to look at the red rocks. I have to look at the maps to figure it out for sure, but I like the idea of "Chavez Crossing" if we don't have to pay for parking. It's right on Oak Creek on the south side of Sedona and it's sort of the classic "Calendar Photo" view of the creek with "Cathedral Rocks".

After that I figure we'd head straight for Jerome. I'm quite familiar with Don and the Gold King mine. We go to the Arizona Bus Club Jerome Jamboree each September and camp at the mine so I've heard "Big Bertha" a lot! I've never actually done the mine tour. Don is quite a character - he collects old trucks (like Freightliners & such) and he like VWs as well.

As for going to the mine - I was thinking that Jerome might be just a "wander around town" kind of thing with folks shopping, getting an ice cream cone, etc. I think a lot depends on the timing. Doing the Gold King mine is good as long as we have time. It's about 2 miles outside of Jerome and up a pretty steep dirt road so it's not like we'll be able to park in one place and do downtown Jerome and the mine without moving cars.

That photo you found is an overlook when you are leaving Jerome. It's a pretty cool view. I usually see this when I'm coming into Jerome with the Bus club, but a stop here on the way out might be good.

I should have the menu for Saturday dinner finalized on Monday. My week has been nuts and I just haven't been able to call them again at the right time. I learned that the sample menu that I saw isn't necessarily what we are tied into for pricing. We can pick chicken, salmon & prime rib at menu prices for each and then decide whether we want to include a drink in our price or leave folks on their own for that. If we can have bar drinks be charged individually I'm wondering if we should leave drinks out of the menu price and leave folks on their own. Then again maybe we should include a non-alcoholic drink and ask them to do individual charges for those who want alchololic beverages.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Apr 29 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #47

ELVIRA

All Right Ernie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) I like it. I think we have a great plan. There are enough details to keep us on track, and enough freedom to give us some options along the way.

I did not intend to do the *official* mine tour in Jerome. A visit with Don and 'Big Bertha' plus a walk around town should be good enough. Is there anything in Congress to see or do? A short stop in Sedona for photos sounds perfect. Last year we seemed to have the right pace and number of stops. I think we are on track with a similar agenda again.

Whatever you decide on for a menu for dinner in Prescott will be fine. At the Red Rocks Classic we had a separate bar tab. It was surprisingly low. Everybody saved the serious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) for back at the hotel parking lot in Neverland.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post May 3 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #48

ELVIRA

Did we ever set a time for dinner on Friday night at the Beaver Street Brewery? If so, I don't know what it is. I think everything else is set. I will be leaving Vegas on Thursday morning. I am making a detour to visit a friend in Carefree and spend the night there. I should be in Flagstaff sometime on Friday afternoon. I have Ernie's and Brian's cell numbers. If you need to get in contact with me, mine is (702) 340-3405.

Let's Rock. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post May 3 2006, 04:03 PM
Post #49

Best friends

I posted a suggestion for 7 p.m. in the official thread.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 08:11 PM