Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Triumph, Remade?
McMark
post Jan 6 2006, 03:22 AM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Could BMW remake the Triumph?

http://motoringfile.com/2006/01/04/first-m...ni-now-triumph/

BMW is working on a two-seater based off of the MINI platform that will form the basis of a Triumph concept car later this year and may eventually see production. This seemingly incredible news comes from this morning’s edition of autoindustry.co.uk and is based on information from Autocar’s January 3rd issue. For those that might not be aware, along with BMW’s purchase of Rover back in the mid-90s came a handful of old British brands such as Triumph. At the time it had been rumored that the MINI would be the first of several brands coming back to life.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 6 2006, 09:08 AM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would love to see what spin they would put on a modern triumph.

Though, I still think its weird that a rover, triumph, or mini is actually a german car now.

Zach
+Quote Post
slapshot914
post Jan 6 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #3

ole swede

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,649

I owned both a TR3B and A TR4. Loved them both, but I turned turtle driving the TR3. Totalled it and almost bought the farm myself. Didn't cure me. Soon as I could I bought the TR4 and now I've been driving (mostly fixing) teeners for the last 15 years. Any idea what the new Triumph might look like? Updated replica of any of the older models?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 6 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #4

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Jan 6 2006, 07:08 AM)
I would love to see what spin they would put on a modern triumph.

Though, I still think its weird that a rover, triumph, or mini is actually a german car now.

Zach

Not to inflame the now age-old "what's a [german/american/english/etc] car?" wars, but the MINI is at least made in the UK, at the old Longbridge plant, where many of the old Minis were made (along with some other icons, like the MGB).

I've owned three VWs, but only one of them was actually made in Germany. My only Nissan was made in Tennessee. My only Dodge was made in Japan.

And this "globalization" thing has been going on for a lot longer than most people think in the car world. Ford has been established in the UK for so long that there are plenty of old Fords even from the 1950s that English car nuts consider iconic "British" cars, like the Anglia. Indeed, much of the early English sports car industry was built on the backs of old Fords. The Ford 100E and 105E engines were the basis for many small-volume sports cars (like Lotus), and Cosworth got their start modifying Ford engines.

As for the revival of the Triumph name (for cars), I think it's a good thing. John Bloor managed to revive the Triumph motorcycle name, and has been quite successful making good bikes worthy of the grand old name for several years now.

+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jan 6 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It took some creative thinking, but the Germans are finally starting to take-over Britain (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jan 6 2006, 10:27 AM
Post #6

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

They still ain't the REAL thing. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
flatout
post Jan 6 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,018

I drive my Tr6 everyday in the winter, and I like it. Can't imagine what a new Triumph would be like, but it could be cool (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) maybe we'll see.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jan 6 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #8

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

that would rick... a buddy of mine has a tr-6... cool car
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 06:30 AM