Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Upgraded to 19mm Master Cylinder, Brakes are hard - not mushy!!
vesnyder
post Jan 6 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,933

Just upgraded my my brake system along with a major front end overhaul and I am really impressed by the difference in the feel of the brakes. They are as hard as a rock - reminds me of my 911! I did not change anything else other than bleed the lines real well and they went from a mushy VW feel to rock hard secure feeling! I read a bunch about brake upgrades and one of the recommendations was not to upgrade the MC without changing out the calipers - but in my case it made a world of difference.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Jan 6 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #2

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

19mm master cylinder is not really an 'upgrade'. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 6 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

hmmm, replacing old parts with new parts along with new fluid....you better have an "improvement" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

mostly it is a psychological effect 'cause you went "bigger" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 6 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #4

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I've used both, and consider 19mm to be an upgrade. In fact I used both on the same car as vesnyder. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

(The 19mm one started leaking so I had to put the 17mm one back)

Some will say that with a 19mm MC you get less PSI of pressure for every pound of pressure you put on the pedal. They're right. But on the other hand, you have the capacity to move more fluid. That means for every inch of pedal travel, you're pushing more fluid out of the MC. This means that it takes less pedal travel to get the pads into contact with the rotors, so your pedal will end up farther from the floor than with the 17. It also results in a firmer pedal feel, and any swell of rubber brake lines will have less of an effect. It also means you have more pedal travel "left over" in case something goes wrong. As far as stopping ability, either one can lock the brakes. I think most people are strong enough to lock the brakes with a 19mm MC (It will take more pedal force, but it's still reasonable)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jan 6 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #5

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I like my 19mm mc, both of my cars have them, but the biggest thing that I noticed was a harder pedal with a little less "feel." I wouldn't go back because I'm used to it, but modulation is different.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 6 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #6

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

It's a personal preference thing. I find I can't lock the wheels with a 19mm MC, as I just can't push the pedal hard enough (I'm a wussy). Once I finally, totally, bled the brakes with the 17mm MC, I didn't find them to be mushy at all, I just had to push the pedal a little farther, which is expected.

Have you tried this new 19mm MC with a really hard stop? That's the real proof in the pudding for me.

I still wonder how much of an effect the flexing floor has on the feel.
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jan 7 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #7

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

IMO I think the 19mm MC on stock callipers puts teh pedal too high for good heel toe transition
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jan 7 2006, 08:01 AM
Post #8

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Jan 7 2006, 02:01 AM)
IMO I think the 19mm MC on stock callipers puts teh pedal too high for good heel toe transition

this is why the brake pushrod is adjustable...
+Quote Post
vesnyder
post Jan 7 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,933

I have not taken it out on the road yet - that twill be theh real test. I had the 17mm on my '67 911 and had the excact same feel as I did on my 914 and I did not like it? I was alos concerned about the heel-toe ability, but was able to adjust it where I think it will work.

Bondo - It is coming along! Tried to post pics of my upgraded front end but size limits prevented me. I am making you proud (I hope?). If I can find your email I will foward some pics!
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jan 7 2006, 10:38 AM
Post #10

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

duh..which way did he go george?
nothing worse than a slap in teh face with the obvious. I still prefer teh feel of the modulation over greater travel

it boils down to preference
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 7 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #11

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (vesnyder @ Jan 7 2006, 09:14 AM)
Bondo - It is coming along! Tried to post pics of my upgraded front end but size limits prevented me. I am making you proud (I hope?). If I can find your email I will foward some pics!

Heck yes! I never thought it would get such royal treatment. You're doing an amazing job, and getting it done pretty quickly! Gonna bring it to the WCC? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
shadygrady
post Jan 7 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4,400
Region Association: South East States

All this discussion is very intersting to me and shows how little I know. I changed my 17 to a 19 and put bmw 320i calipers and wow what a difference. Then 2 years later, I swapped the 2.0L-4 for a 3.0L-6. Now I figured I needed larger brakes and more rubber on road, so we put 911 brakes on the car. Then we cut the fenders and added flares. That worked fine, but then I got to thinking again, which by the way is dangerous. I put on 4 piston calipers all the way around. I then figured I needed a bigger master cylinder now because the car the brakes came off had a power booster. So I bought a 23mm racing mc. Just put it on, but haven't driven it yet. A test will tell whether all of it works. The shop said I needed a proportioning valve, so I bought that, too. It will go on next.

Got to get it all done, because we go to Roebling Rd next weekend for DE event.

All this to ask you experts what you think?

Grady
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 05:42 AM