Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 Conversion Completed, 1975 1.8L to Chevy 283 - Added Dyno Test Pg. 1
dmenche914
post Jan 15 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

Might be worth a try taping some ribbons on the hood near vent, and see how much they move under your static test, then take it for a drive and see what they do, if they stay the same direction when you speed up, then you'r probably still flowing the right way. Frankly with your inner ducting, i don't see why the hood exhaust method wont work .

What do you have as the cover (screen?) on the outlet, can't tell form the computer. Like to see a closer up photo of how you did the hood outlet if you have one

On my car the wheel wells are cut, Last poster comment on square holes is right, rounded corners will really reduce the possibility of fatigue cracking. A square hole on the British Comet (first passenger jet, beat Boeing and the 707 into service) The squared off window on the fuselauge caused a crack too start there do to fatigue from the compression / decompression cycles. That killed a bunch of folks in several crashes until the Coments were grounded. By the time they figured it out, and rounded the windows, Boeing had taken lead with the 707, and the Comet dispite redesign, never regained the lead and sales were almost nill. A crack from a square window stopped British passenger jets form beating Boeing. Notice how all the windows on jets are rounded these days, no sharp corners.

you could round yours with a fat rattail (round) file in each corner, a 1/4 radius or so radius will help prevent cracking, it doesn't take much. and rounding is better than a sharp corner. larger radiuses are best, but would reuire the air intake hole to be made a bit wider and taller to add. (or leave size and have bulbus corners, nothing wrong with that.) I had to cut the corners round on my car, prior owner had made some square, and a crack about an inch long had started. Them again i think there is less stress int eh area you cut, the front panel is likely under a lot less stress than the wheel well section is.

Anyway neat to see someone experimenting with the hood. The cut outs in the wheel wells look like they would weaken the car. Mine are a bit big. Maybe a better idea for air exit than a big hole in the well is to drill lots of say 1/2 inch holes,a nd make a perferated panel? To late on my car, but something you could give a go if you decide to . Anyone done that?

Who did your exhaust pipes from the headers back? you or a local shop? (i got to get a quieter muffler!)

Anyway real nice conversion.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 15 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #42

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Nick, I'd leave the fuel pump alone...
You want to be able to know if the fuel pump is running....

I will be doing both as far as the hood thing goes.

I'll cut the wheel well, and rivit it back in durring the summer months, and durring the rainy season I'll open the wheel wells, and put a closed hood on.

Thats MY current plan.

btw, i bet your exhast isnt that quiet (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) one single magnaflow? ha!

bet it sounds pretty darn good though...
+Quote Post
twistedstang
post Jan 15 2006, 06:02 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 5,395
Region Association: None

Nice looking conversion. Looks really clean (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
nick mironov
post Jan 15 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #44

nickm

Member No.: 4,264

I got the car running. Turns out that it was not an electrical problem. There was no fuel delivery. Tracked it down to a pinched fuel line under the fuel tank. I went to the gas station the other day to fill it up for the first time and the weight of the fuel in the first-time full tank dropped the tank and it pinched the fuel line. Freed it and now the fuel is flowing and the car runs great.

The hood vent screen that I am presently using consists of a perforated metal panel with 1/8" holes on 3/16" staggered centers with about 50% free area. It does not seem to restrict flow very much, but I have not yet tested it. Right now it is simply screwed on to the top of the hood. If I decide to use this approach, I will either drill the pattern in the hood I plan to use or have a friend of mine use his automated plasma cutter make the holes (if we can make it do that).

I agree, that there should be a small lip at the front to help creat a low pressure region over the hood. If I end up with louvers, they will protrude about a 1/2' to get that effect.

If I end up cutting the wheel wells, I will probably do it with multiple 1-1/2" holes (or similar) drilled with a hole saw in a staggered pattern. In any case, the compartment is well waterproofed with the POR 15 paint and Herculiner truck bed liner.

The single muffler is actually fairly quiet. You can easily talk in the car. (You can hear the he fuel pump over the engine sound). It seems to have the most resonance at idle. It is very quiet under constant speed and has a nice sound under acceleration. Overall it is very nice sound. The exhaust work was done by Tom at the Exaust Outlet in Daly City. I need to take it back to him - he placed the left exhaust pipe too close to the shifter rod and it interferes with third gear. He said that it is an easy tweak for him to correct this condition.

I don't think that cracking at the air inlet corners is going to be a potential problem, since there is no load in that area. However, taking the time to round the corners would be an easy precaution.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 16 2006, 02:52 AM
Post #45

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Funny.. Mines livable and solid under idle. semi loud at cruze and if a cop hears me under full throttle... im toast. wakes up anyone near by...

I'll be designing louvers over the next couple months.. I'll post them when I get the design done... I know what I want... just cant see it.. lol
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jan 16 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #46

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

louvers? like these?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
andys
post Jan 16 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (jd74914 @ Jan 16 2006, 10:48 AM)
louvers? like these?

jd74914,

Not to hijack, but who makes that spoiler that's on the blue car??

Andys
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jan 16 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #48

Its alive

Andy, I have no idea, the car isn't mine, but heres some more pictures. I know that its a bumper and spoiler molded into each other.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jan 16 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #49

Its alive

And the bonding,
kinda looks like this spoiler, molded into a bumper http://www.automotion.com/productpage.aspx...ormance+Spoiler

sorry, hyjack over. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nick mironov
post May 4 2007, 08:18 PM
Post #50

nickm

Upgraded the BMW 320i brakes to M-Calipers using Muller's hubs and 911 ventilated rotors:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nick mironov
post May 4 2007, 08:21 PM
Post #51

nickm

The hood vent experiment worked, but the heat flowed back into the cabin through the front ventilation inlet. I gave up on it and vented the interior fender wells - using a hole saw:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nick mironov
post May 4 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #52

nickm

Added an oil cooler to the engine. I mounted it horizontally on the engine support crossbar and added a scoop to direct the air flow up through it and out the top engine compartment grille:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nick mironov
post May 4 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #53

nickm

I changed the Renegade provided rubber hoses for steel pipes, custom bent to the contour of the bottom of the car, and welded hose nozzles on the ends. The return pipe and hoses are 1-1/4" and the supply pipe and hoses are 1" - Renegade recommended sizes:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
nick mironov
post May 4 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #54

nickm

After lots of body work, and a spray-can prime to stop rust, its off to the painter:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nick mironov
post May 4 2007, 08:30 PM
Post #55

nickm

Back from the painter and finally re-assembled:
Paint color is Chrysler PT Cruiser 2005 Electric Blue Pearlcoat

Click here to see interior upgrade using the Auto's International seat and backpad kits...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post May 4 2007, 09:02 PM
Post #56

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

shit - beautiful paint : )

I took my car today for it's first real tets drive - 202 miles - all seems good.

I can not hear radiator fans too good - would like a light on dash for them.

I wonder if your intake is adequate - not sure if i have seen anyone stick with the 1975/76 front bumper for a v8 conversion ??

Anyway - good luck.

I need to put in a better fuel pump and my hi torque starter when i get a chance.

fwiw - 5th gear at about 28/2900 is 65 mph for me - and i like it - my trans is stock.

under normal driving - i cruse at 3000 rpm - shift at 3500.

2nd gear is good for 0 - 40 but i shift into third before that generally : )

jim
+Quote Post
DSM
post May 4 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 7,700

I'd imagine that short stroke 283 twist up pretty quick...huh?
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post May 4 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 623

Looks like another nicely done conversion. Good show mate!
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post May 4 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #59

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

The front bumper inlet is perfectly fine.

I really like the hole saw radiator exhaust... Very creative and the best of all worlds.

Great color too... I really like your car.

BJH
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 4 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #60

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Wow, man. Just WOW. Very nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:37 AM