Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What to do with my targa top?
computers4kids
post Jan 16 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #1

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

....getting ready to paint the tub. I am going to detail rockers, etc with satin black. I also am replacing all the vinyl on the targa top and sides. My question is what to do with my targa top? I've seen many people paint them black, but I'm not to sure I want to do that--nor do I want to paint everything the car color. I want the top to compliment the new vinyl in color and texture. From what I've seen, many tops that have been painted stand out (too shiny,etc) from the vinyl.

I am also concerned that if I paint the top, taking the top off and on might lead to the paint cracking as the top flexes being removed??

Is there a way to bring the top back to life without paint?? If not, what paint would you recommend for durability, flexibility, and color to achieve the look I'm after?
Much appreciated,
Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
STL914
post Jan 16 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,271
Region Association: Upper MidWest

This may be a bit out of the ordinary, but has anyone considered covering the top with matching vinyl? Three pieces of vinyl, one wide piece down the center, over lapping two narrow pieces, one on each edge.

That would certainly tie the top to the sail planes.
+Quote Post
biggy72
post Jan 16 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,418
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I know there's an additive for painting plastic that allows the paint to flex a ton. I don't know if you can use paint with that in it on a fiberglass roof, but seems like it would be plausable.
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Jan 16 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 391

The guys at Los Ponchos in Tijuana use some sort of paint that does not crack or peel and they duplicate that spackle like finish pretty well. Might be worth a drive south?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 16 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

GTeener's got a vinyl covered top. Looks pretty nice IMHO.
+Quote Post
sk8kat1
post Jan 16 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,937

I "refreashed" mine by doing a cocktail -- mothers back to black then wiping down well with mild soap and water ---- then I used forever black then let dry and hand buffed to a stain shine by hand with microfibre cloth

a bit of work but worked out very nicely
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Jan 16 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #7

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Ive used black vinyl dye, works great and matches the stock finish. Best to buy a quart of it and lay it down with a gun, I have used the spray can stuff with good results if it is cool out, no wind and you are able to lay it out wet enough.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jan 16 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #8

Love these little cars!

QUOTE (STL914 @ Jan 16 2006, 09:49 AM)
has anyone considered covering the top with matching vinyl?

I "refreashed" mine by doing a cocktail -- mothers back to black then wiping down well with mild soap and water ---- then I used forever black then let dry and hand buffed to a stain shine by hand with microfibre cloth

a bit of work but worked out very nicely

Ive used black vinyl dye, works great and matches the stock finish. Best to buy a quart of it and lay it down with a gun, I have used the spray can stuff with good results if it is cool out, no wind and you are able to lay it out wet enough.

Lots of great ideas...anyone willing to share a picture of their handywork?
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jan 16 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #9

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

They hold up fine after painting. Be real carful when you put in the trunk: I added stick-backed felt to the trunk top holders and I put a towl over the top whenever it's in the trunk.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
richardmosselman
post Jan 16 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #10

slvr bullet

Member No.: 4,822

When I inquired about refinishing my targa top on the Rennlist forum,Martin Baker replied:
"Texture comes from 'Body Shutz' which is basically a rubber coating that is sprayed on the top and then painted satin black. The last one I did I used 3M Body Schutz, heavy texture.I had to lightly sand the high points to make it smooth. Wurth also sells the gun and the Shutz (as well as 3M).

Hope this helps!
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jan 16 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #11

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Pick up truck bed liner applicators do a nice job to restore to original.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Seagrave
post Jan 17 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #12

Gutenfest Touring Society

Member No.: 963

If it doesn't turn out right I have an extra I will sell....
+Quote Post
North Bay 914
post Jan 17 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,504

I have the info on how to re-finish the top correctly, which is what I would do. The texture is shot with a schutz gun, using Wurth or 3M body schutz, painted, and the color is a satin black, I can't remember the name of the German company, but is still available now. I think its Spies Hecker. My boss just showed me the color the other day, as I want to re-shoot mine. I work in a body shop. Mine is to glossy for my taste. Are you in Nor-Cal?
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Jan 17 2006, 09:39 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,634

Martin, If you are talking about the top on that red creampuff that I saw in Sacramento, I think it looked just great. If it is too shiney for you, leave it out in the sun(MIght have to wait a few months to do that though (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

BTW, got the concave mirror, thanks, will have time to install it in a few weeks.
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jan 17 2006, 02:39 PM
Post #15

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

North Bay 914 - I plan to have my 914 in the shop all next week for rust repair and if you are going to re-shoot your targa top I would jump at the chance to get mine in there.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

It appears to have old, black paint on it, so prep work is in order. I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest, as getting the targa top looki right sure would be nice. Maybe send a PM if this might work, either next week or in the near future.

Haven't received my mirrors yet, should be here soon (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rocking nana.gif)
+Quote Post
72914S
post Jan 17 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #16

love this shot

Member No.: 900
Region Association: South East States

I heard that rubber undercoating works quite well,like wurths or some name like that,and it comes in spray cans.
+Quote Post
North Bay 914
post Jan 17 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 17 2006, 12:39 PM)
North Bay 914 - I plan to have my 914 in the shop all next week for rust repair and if you are going to re-shoot your targa top I would jump at the chance to get mine in there.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

It appears to have old, black paint on it, so prep work is in order. I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest, as getting the targa top looki right sure would be nice. Maybe send a PM if this might work, either next week or in the near future.

Haven't received my mirrors yet, should be here soon (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)   (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rocking nana.gif)

I work at Sears Point Auto Body, so thats where I can do it, No prep work is required if your top is not broken other than a little scotch brite, to get the paint to stick, unless you want to retexture it. Then, only a mild sanding to knock down the original texture a bit. Mirriors should be there by now. That is wierd. Let me know what happens on that.

Like I said before, Wurth or 3M, but if you use a rattle can, it won't be the same. You need the gun for this application. Sato makes one. There is a really nice one, that will allow you to lay out a fine smooth coat to match the original. It will look new.
+Quote Post
North Bay 914
post Jan 17 2006, 09:10 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Tobra @ Jan 17 2006, 07:39 AM)
Martin, If you are talking about the top on that red creampuff that I saw in Sacramento, I think it looked just great. BTW, got the concave mirror, thanks, will have time to install it in a few weeks.

Yes, the same top. It is much to shiny for me. The satin clear I used was to shiney, but the texture is OK. I used 3M on that one, with a Sato gun. The non-adjustable type. I sanded afterward to take down a few of the high spots. I am planning on re-doing it eventually.
+Quote Post
root
post Jan 17 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #19

Two Wheeled Type4 Completed!

Member No.: 2,026

Here's mine, it was really bad before I recoated it. Areas in the back had cracked and there were some waves (highs and lows) in it. Sorry I didn't take before pics. I sanded it all out with an airfile then took it over to the truck bed liner guy "LineX". He did in a day for $75. I really like it. Durable and looks good. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jan 17 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #20

Love these little cars!

QUOTE (North Bay 914 @ Jan 16 2006, 10:21 PM)
I have the info on how to re-finish the top correctly, which is what I would do. The texture is shot with a schutz gun, using Wurth or 3M body schutz, painted, and the color is a satin black, I can't remember the name of the German company, but is still available now. I think its Spies Hecker. My boss just showed me the color the other day, as I want to re-shoot mine. I work in a body shop. Mine is to glossy for my taste. Are you in Nor-Cal?

Great Info! I live in central CA, 40 minutes south of Fresno. If you find out a source for sure, please let me know...it would be awesome to bring the top back to the "original look." I think it makes a big difference on how it looks for a teener keeping the vinyl on the roll bar.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 04:55 PM