Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> trying to get car driving.... and the electrical, gremlins come out. help me before i kill
Aaron Cox
post Jan 16 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #1

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

Preface: Before car was taken apart, it ran great. no electrical issues at all..... perfect.

what changed:
*rear defroster window and harness installed along with switch and relay (on relay board in engine compartment)
*New foglights added. New + wire from battery to new relay, and wiring to lights. lights not installed yet.
*Both stock fogs and hella rally lights had the demick fog light mod done, where they can run independantly of headlights.
* 904 tri combo gauge installed.... new Pressure wire ran from engine bay.

Whats not working.
Oil Pressure idiot light (but the gauge works (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif))
key does not engage starter. turn key, relays click, no dice. i can manually arc it with a screwdriver just fine. this tells me the solenoid is fine.
i ran a set of jumpercables directly from NEG batt terminal to starter stud on trans, and it didnt change it. This reluctantly conludes that something on the switched + side of things is mesed up.......
Fogs/Headlights. headlights come up. but do not light. no blown fuse. fog switch is energized, but lights dont work.......

help me before i kill myself....or my car. im dangerous in a pissed off state of mind (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 16 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 16 2006, 05:26 PM)
help me before i kill myself....

what year is your car?

if post '71, check the 2 white connectores on the back, bottom of your steering column.
it's *very* easy to put them back in one prong off! (ask me how i know) ...

that should solve most of your problems ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 16 2006, 07:47 PM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 16 2006, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 16 2006, 05:26 PM)
help me before i kill myself....

what year is your car?

if post '71, check the 2 white connectores on the back, bottom of your steering column.
it's *very* easy to put them back in one prong off! (ask me how i know) ...

that should solve most of your problems ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif) Andy

73/74....

steering column never left. i checked those connectors.
relays click, but starter never engages....
+Quote Post
blabla914
post Jan 16 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #4

I like primer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,740
Region Association: None

1. oil pressure light
the light comes on when the wire to the oil pressure switch is grounded. It should be green with a red tracer. Try hooking it up to a known ground and turning the key to ign. on. If it lights you have a ground problem or a pressure switch problem back at the motor. If it doesn't light your problem is either in the wire or the gauge. Don't neglect the connections of the big plugs on the relay board here. Sometimes the pins collapse and you get a crappy connection. A single edge razor blade will help spread the pins. Don't get carried away or you'll never get the plug off once you get it on. You did put a bulb in right? I've done stupider.

2. Starter. What relay is clicking? I'll bet it is the fuel pump relay. Sorry I forget which one that is on the relay board. Use a VOM or a test light to see if you have 12V on the solenoid wire when you turn the key. Don't forget to make sure you are in N or disconnect the solenoid wire to do this. I've seen plenty of smart people fussing with the starter when the car is in gear. Bad idea. Again if you have 12V at the starter, then it's a starter thing. If not, it's a wire/relay board/ steering column thing.

3. as for the lights, if neither light is coming on the wiring on the switch sounds suspect.

Best advice I've ever gotten on electrical is from my dad. Check the easy stuff like fuses and bulbs, then use a VOM or a test light. Start at the end of the system that's easiest to get to and work your way to the other end. It can be crappy work, especially when you have to take stuff apart you just put together.

Good luck

Kelly

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 16 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #5

Resident German

QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 16 2006, 05:47 PM)
i checked those connectors.

check them again ...

they will fit just fine one pin off (!) and your car will do all sorts of weird things ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 16 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #6

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE (blabla914 @ Jan 16 2006, 06:49 PM)
1. oil pressure light
the light comes on when the wire to the oil pressure switch is grounded. It should be green with a red tracer. Try hooking it up to a known ground and turning the key to ign. on. If it lights you have a ground problem or a pressure switch problem back at the motor. If it doesn't light your problem is either in the wire or the gauge. Don't neglect the connections of the big plugs on the relay board here. Sometimes the pins collapse and you get a crappy connection. A single edge razor blade will help spread the pins. Don't get carried away or you'll never get the plug off once you get it on. You did put a bulb in right? I've done stupider.

2. Starter. What relay is clicking? I'll bet it is the fuel pump relay. Sorry I forget which one that is on the relay board. Use a VOM or a test light to see if you have 12V on the solenoid wire when you turn the key. Don't forget to make sure you are in N or disconnect the solenoid wire to do this. I've seen plenty of smart people fussing with the starter when the car is in gear. Bad idea. Again if you have 12V at the starter, then it's a starter thing. If not, it's a wire/relay board/ steering column thing.

3. as for the lights, if neither light is coming on the wiring on the switch sounds suspect.

Best advice I've ever gotten on electrical is from my dad. Check the easy stuff like fuses and bulbs, then use a VOM or a test light. Start at the end of the system that's easiest to get to and work your way to the other end. It can be crappy work, especially when you have to take stuff apart you just put together.

Good luck

Kelly

Oil pressure light...

its a NEW dual sender on a short braided hose. the sender has a ground strap to the case.
the GAUGE function works (new wire) but the idjit light does not. wire didnt change for that... guessing its a guage problem.
cool, works when grounds... ill test that. thanks.

Fogs....
Switch lights up, but none of the lights come on.
The way the fog light mod works is you pggy back the fogs off the dedicated headlight power.... enabling them to be on with ignition, unrelated to headlight operation....

keep em comin.....

AA
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jan 16 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #7

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

I've had these issues in the last 2 weeks - and solved them thanks to the 914club advice on several new and older threads.

My starter leads were great - lots of current, but no go. Got the mim-starter from eBay and installed it this weekend = fired right up!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
All I can say is that 31 year old starter (on my '72 914) must have gone bad. I plan to take it to FLAPS for a free test.

The headlight issue for me was temporarily fixed by switching to bright lights - they worked with low beams didn't and kept me on the road. The new headlight relay has an extra post that need to be piggy-back wired to another one for proper function - see recent thread on relays.

Good luck!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SGB
post Jan 16 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #8

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

-y'know a discharged, partially discharged, or otherwise screwed-up battery causes STRANGE THINGS....
-The problems probably aren't related.
-y'know a discharged, partially discharged, or otherwise screwed-up battery causes STRANGE THINGS....
-Something went wrong with the fog light power source revision. Re-trace that very carefully. Un-hook that mod (it is mighty simple) and try starting again. The new power lead isn't shorting somewhere is it?
Also,
-y'know a discharged, partially discharged, or otherwise screwed-up battery causes STRANGE THINGS.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Jan 16 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #9

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

I think I would begin by disconnecting the "new things" you have added, and then check your results.

I find with things electricial, I try to work from a "normal condition" and then bring in new circuits, one by one while checking results.

I find that, in the end, it is much faster and less stressful than adding multiple circuits and then having to "troubleshoot" for sometimes "inter-related" faults.

"Psuedo-scientific method" and "logic and reasoning" will take one a long way in solving electrical troubles....

John (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif)

+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Feb 3 2006, 11:53 PM
Post #10

Professional Lawn Dart

update -

had a few hours to work on the car today.
tricklecharged the optima over the past 2 weeks..... it was basically charged. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)

headlights work. (didnt change a thing.. )
fog light switches light up, but no power is making it to the front of the car to the lights. must be the wiring mod i did. (Fog Light wiring mod)

tried grounding the warning light sender wire. no dice. light doesnt work.

AA
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Feb 3 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #11

mr. Wonderful

Member No.: 2,978

yeah..... I tried that fog light wiring mod myself too.... I fuched everything up (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Feb 4 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #12

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE (Hammy @ Feb 3 2006, 10:56 PM)
yeah..... I tried that fog light wiring mod myself too.... I fuched everything up (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

this picture i made should help.

i believe my wiring hell is me being off by a pin. realllllly hard to see the pins when doing it.

now here is a reference
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1139033593.jpg)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 4 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #13

Resident German

QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 3 2006, 10:15 PM)
i believe my wiring hell is me being off by a pin. realllllly hard to see the pins when doing it.

did 'ya check the back of the steering column?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Feb 4 2006, 12:30 AM
Post #14

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 3 2006, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 3 2006, 10:15 PM)

did 'ya check the back of the steering column?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) Andy

i did. they never came off originally. i pulled them. and put them back on the same way. (correctly)

no change.
+Quote Post
Tom
post Feb 4 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

Aaron,
Your starter problem is probably a weak starter relay ( on top of the starter ) or the contacts in the relay. It may close, but not with enough force to allow current to flow from the battery terminal to the starter motor terminal. That's why you can jumper these two terminals with a screwdriver and the starter motor turns!
Now to the reason why. Probable has something to do with the current path from the ignition switch. The heavy ( read larger current path ) yellow wire from the ignition switch runs through the relay board in the engine compartment. So does the oil pressure light current path. You indicated you added some relay to this relay board. I would look at the relay board and all connections. I recently took mine out and cleaned it up and found several connections that were bad. Fixed and ready to go back on soon.
Hope this has been a help.
Tom
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Feb 4 2006, 01:22 PM
Post #16

Professional Lawn Dart

illbe sure to try that tomorrow. thanks tom
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Feb 4 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #17

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Have you figured out the 904 temp gauge gremlin yet ?
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Feb 4 2006, 01:38 PM
Post #18

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ Feb 4 2006, 12:27 PM)
Have you figured out the 904 temp gauge gremlin yet ?

nope. pegs just like yours....
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 4 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #19

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

did you try to switch the leads from the dual sender? or something

hell i dunno, i'm just a kid.

b
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Feb 4 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #20

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 4 2006, 01:19 PM)
did you try to switch the leads from the dual sender? or something

hell i dunno, i'm just a kid.

b

theyre marked. G = gauge WK = warning light.

gauge works....
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 07:19 PM