Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> DIY "hot tank" works great !!!!!, Solvent recommendations ???
Mueller
post Aug 29 2003, 12:00 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Sorry no pics, maybe this weekend I'll shoot some.........

anyways.............

I needed to strip some tar, undercoating and paint off of some of my suspension parts as well as engine parts and decided to make my own hot tank.

I used a large plastic tub, filled it with a 50/50 mix Castrol SuperClean and hot water (boiled the water on my oven and dumped it into the tub with the parts in it)

Within a few hours, the parts had been completly stripped of all paint and undercoating. Much easier than sandblasting to remove the paint and all the other crud.

I think my next step will be to add an electric heating element to the tub....it looks like an heating element for a electric water heater would work out perfect...the element is about 12 dollars and the thermostat is about 25 dollars or so.

I have yet to clean anything aluminum with this setup since I know the Castrol SuperClean really attacks the aluminum if left in the solution too long, but I'm sure it'll work out nice as long as I keep an eye out on the time the parts are left in the solution.

What other solvents would be ideal in a "hot tank"???
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 04:30 AM