Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> welding, which one mig , tig, stick ?
sk8kat1
post Jan 19 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,937

I am tring to find out which is the best choice for teener reapair but also being used for building a rotiss for doing the repair work ..

any thoughts ... what are the pros and cons of each type?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 30)
sk8kat1
post Jan 19 2006, 06:59 PM
Post #21

is buying used welders a bad idea?
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jan 19 2006, 07:06 PM
Post #22

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

I picked up a welder at a garage sale for $15!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Works great, but not as nice as a new Miller.

Buying used isn't a good or bad idea.... it all depends on the machine and the deal. I would test it before I hauled it home.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jan 19 2006, 07:27 PM
Post #23

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

if you get a good machine, used is fine... problem is, they don't lose much cost until they are wor the F out... I got lucky and got mine from a guy who barely used MIG, he preferred TIG and had the TIG expertise, but only ever use fluxcore MIG... which is the butt-ugliest weld you can make... 4-600 welder you can get a decent 220 one, and I recommend 220... miller, lincoln or Hobart(a miller by another name)... get one with infinate speed and voltage adjustments, or at a minimum infinate speed... you'd be fine with your immediate projects with a 110(max. 1/8" thick), but later, you'll want the 220...
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Jan 19 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #24

Easy does it

Member No.: 61

I just bought a lincoln 175 from Lowes $595. I have only used the flux core part of it so far. This was the first time I have used the flux core, but after getting the hang of it I kinda like it. It's great for the messy jobs that you don't see or don't care about and a spool from harbor freight is only $15 bucks.
+Quote Post
andys
post Jan 19 2006, 09:20 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Though TIG produces a very nice result, it is very sensitive to contamination or residue on the metal. Unlike a MIG, you cannot simply burn through paint, primer, oxides, etc. while welding. Parts must be very clean and oxide free. Welding on bodywork and seams (and at odd difficult to get at angles), I prefer the MIG, but I don't have one; only got a TIG.....got pretty good at operating the pedal with my knee though.

Andy
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Jan 19 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #26

Summer's Commin...

Member No.: 4,611
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

There is some great information here I was looking for some information a few weeks ago,and regadless of what I do this has been very helpful.

Thanks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
sk8kat1
post Jan 19 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #27

I have no 220 out lets in my house even for the washer it looks just like any other grouned 3 prong outlet ... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

I wonder how expensive it is to have a 220 outlet run to my garage ? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
sk8kat1
post Jan 19 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #28

oh and lincoln has freakin 3 different 135 and 3 different 175 welders on their web site -- this is getting a bit confusing

so many to choose from (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jan 19 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #29

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Jan 19 2006, 10:44 PM)
oh and lincoln has freakin 3 different 135 and 3 different 175 welders on their web site -- this is getting a bit confusing

so many to choose from (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

I have this one and it works great. Got it for about $600 at lowes. http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/e...heet.asp?p=7083
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jan 19 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #30

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

putting in a 220v outlet is not hard... takes a couple hours... if you can weld you can put in a 220 plug... have faith
+Quote Post
Pinepig
post Jan 19 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 5,350

I have a MIG, TIG, ARC, Oxy,act and a plasma cutter.

If I don't care what it looks like and I want it done now I grab the MIG, if it has to be pretty I use the TIG. The ARC hasn't come out of the corner in over 10 years. The plasma cutter makes cutting sheet metal a dream ( handy yes, needed, well not really ).

If I had to purchase just one it would be a MIG, one with gas and at least 170 amps. Lincoln or Miller, I have used both and they are pretty much interchangable. Buy whatever they sell local to you so you can get parts easy.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 12:08 AM