Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> FUEL CELL, FUEL STARVATION, can't figure this one out
kart54
post Jan 23 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,520

Well, the only (hence fastest, (I am kidding here)) G prod SCCA porsche made its debut at Willow Springs for practice on Friday. One day I'll even get pictures for you guys. Anybody who says a 1.8 can't be fast come on out and drive this car, I dare ya. I was able to run with almost everything there except a couple of open wheel pro Mazda cars and a $180,000 or more GT3 cup car. Its' amazing to me how much people spend on a sport that is basically just for fun.
Once the Goodyear slicks heated up it was basically put it to the floor and leave it there except the lefthander going up the hill which was a third gear down shift. Other than that a little left foot trail braking in a couple of spots and leave it floored. Want a true thrill; go through turns 8 and 9 at Willow flat out, on the rev limiter with a taller 5th gear and never lift. Took me about a third of the day to get that much huevos, plus some suspension adjustment and when I did it was a real rush. Then repeat at turn 1, a narrow left hander same type of rush.
But, once the slicks heated up and my fuel burned off to between two thirds and half remaining a very strange problem arose. This didn't happen at low speeds or with a full tank.
My fuel cell sits where the original gas tank did. The fuel pickup is on the passenger side and the return is on the driver's side. The hose for the pickup is all the way to the bottom of the tank (I checked and tested the hose for any holes) and I run foam in the tank to help prevent sloshing, the fuel return is about an inch and a half into the top of the tank.
With the fuel burned off when I went into the left hander the car would stall out like it was fuel starved, once I got back on the straight or into a right hander it would run great. It also ran great for 5-8 laps when it was full of fuel.
Here's the odd part; in a left hand turn the fuel would be sloshing toward, not away from, the fuel pickup and away from the return line. Is there any reason the return line needs to be immersed in the fuel?
This has me completely baffled. I disassembled everything at the track. There are no air leaks of any type on the fuel pickup side all the way past the fuel pump and the fuel pickup hose goes to within a 1/4 of an inch of the bottom of the tank. Nothing gets in the way of the fuel pickup and the fuel vent works properly.
The problem only occurs under very hard left hand cornering with a half to two thirds full tank.
Any suggestions and possible solutions will be greatly appreciated. This one's got me.
Erik (Thorshammer), Chris (Tangerine racing), John (south of the border Rodgers) et.al any sugestions?
Randy
"Car 54 Here I Am" G prod Porsche 914 The fastest in the U.S. (Ok, Ok, the only one in the U.S. so it's also the slowest)
Ventura, CA.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
kart54   FUEL CELL, FUEL STARVATION   Jan 23 2006, 05:36 PM
bondo   Is it possible that the lines somehow got switched...   Jan 23 2006, 05:48 PM
Joe Sharp   Carbed or injection? :PERMAGRIN: Joe   Jan 23 2006, 05:52 PM
kart54   No, the lines aren't switched, checked that to...   Jan 23 2006, 07:15 PM
Joe Sharp   I could only think that you are kinking a fuel lin...   Jan 23 2006, 07:26 PM
Mueller     Jan 23 2006, 07:29 PM
Powerman   You may try a fuel cell surge tank.   Jan 23 2006, 08:30 PM
Thorshammer   I agree with the above statement. First you must h...   Jan 23 2006, 10:05 PM
byndbad914   surge tank should help a lot. If you have a somew...   Jan 23 2006, 10:24 PM
kart54   Thanks for all the input. Going to try a surge t...   Jan 25 2006, 06:08 PM
Jeroen     Jan 25 2006, 06:15 PM
Brett W   Lets see a picture of your fuel cell. You should ...   Jan 25 2006, 11:07 PM
URY914   Here is a couple of things I've learned over t...   Jan 26 2006, 07:23 AM
brant   Surge tanks become absolutely critical on FI... es...   Jan 27 2006, 12:52 AM
groot   Surge tank.... no question. I know I'm repeate...   Jan 27 2006, 09:04 AM
d914   I agree with choice one. We did this on a friends ...   Jan 27 2006, 09:23 AM
smg914   I had the same problem with my 914 race car. As...   Jan 27 2006, 11:52 AM
kart54   Thanks to all of you. You just showed me once agai...   Jan 27 2006, 01:29 PM
john rogers   I run twin suctions from my tank, one from each si...   Jan 27 2006, 02:00 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 02:04 PM