Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oil Cooler lines, Heater tubes
spunone
post Jan 25 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,901
Region Association: Southern California

Anybody out there run there front cooler lines thru the heater tubes?If so what type of hose did ya use ? dont think the Stainless braided stuff would be to good rubbing next to each other like 2 saw blades .so what hose will work better???
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 25 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I ran some nylon braided AN lines down the heater tubes. I'm starting to lean towards running lines through the car or behind the valences. Nothing wrong with the heater tube method. I just like the others better.

SirAndy's going to be running the lines for his 3.6 through the cabin.
I'm going to be running the lines for my 3.6 under the valences.

There will be plenty of pictures of both.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 25 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

Member No.: 219

PM bmartin914 or wait a few hours...

he sent me his install photos using rubber line down the tubes..
+Quote Post
spunone
post Jan 25 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,901

thanks I'll Hang till later Aaro .Mc Mark reason likey one better???
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 25 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Yeah, I have a reason. It's a stupid nit-picky McMark reason. It's more about looking clean than function.

So.... my reason for not liking the heater channel method: The transition from the heater channel to the box section that runs under the tank (see image). There is no way to do it clean. You have to cut a hole in the heater tube inside the longitudinal which is nearly impossible to do cleanly. Then you have to route the lines through some very tight corners. All in all, there are just too many obstacles to doing it super perfectly cleanly.

But, again, as far as function, they all work. I just go way way way way way way way way over the top on these things. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 25 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (spunone @ Jan 25 2006, 05:15 PM)
so what hose will work better???

search, my friend. search ...

this has been discussed in length in a few threads. with pictures. and lots of "expert" opinions ...

good luck!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
brant
post Jan 27 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

see my vintage thread in my sig....

and I went up with my lines instead of down under the tank.
it measured shorter and lighter.

brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 27 2006, 08:51 AM
Post #8

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 25 2006, 06:49 PM)
Yeah, I have a reason. It's a stupid nit-picky McMark reason. It's more about looking clean than function.

So.... my reason for not liking the heater channel method: The transition from the heater channel to the box section that runs under the tank (see image). There is no way to do it clean. You have to cut a hole in the heater tube inside the longitudinal which is nearly impossible to do cleanly. Then you have to route the lines through some very tight corners. All in all, there are just too many obstacles to doing it super perfectly cleanly.

But, again, as far as function, they all work. I just go way way way way way way way way over the top on these things. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

How about routing them the same as warm air? Once you get in the front trunk it's easy to get them between the fuel tank, and then out to the cooler. Just a thought. As long as you aren't going to have any heat, that is.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jan 27 2006, 09:00 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE (9146986 @ Jan 27 2006, 03:51 PM)
How about routing them the same as warm air? Once you get in the front trunk it's easy to get them between the fuel tank, and then out to the cooler. Just a thought. As long as you aren't going to have any heat, that is.

That's how Brant did it...
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Jan 27 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #10

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I did it. I have some pics on my home computer if you want them.

If I were to do it again, I think I would have gone outside like Aaron did. My heat pretty much sucks now since it is only coming through on one side and you can't undo it because you have to make a hole in your heater tube to get the job done.

If you don't care about heat though - go for it! My cooler works great!
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 27 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

QUOTE (9146986 @ Jan 27 2006, 06:51 AM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 25 2006, 06:49 PM)
Yeah, I have a reason.  It's a stupid nit-picky McMark reason.  It's more about looking clean than function.  

So.... my reason for not liking the heater channel method:  The transition from the heater channel to the box section that runs under the tank (see image).  There is no way to do it clean.  You have to cut a hole in the heater tube inside the longitudinal which is nearly impossible to do cleanly.  Then you have to route the lines through some very tight corners.  All in all, there are just too many obstacles to doing it super perfectly cleanly.

But, again, as far as function, they all work.  I just go way way way way way way way way over the top on these things.  :confused:

Then you have your lines coming up over the tank, which I'm not too thrilled about. I really like the lines running under the tank and popping out of the wall in the front trunk.
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Jan 27 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #12

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

I ran mine through the heater tube and up the tube in front as well, not out the side. I, however, cut the hole in the fender well, went through there then back into the front trunk. The oil lines in the passenger compartment are wrapped in insulating foam and are behind the speaker panel. You wouldn't even know that they are there. The metal edges are covered with 944 door trim molding so it doesn't rub the lines.
I used the Blue oil lines and pushlock AN fittings. Got all the lines and fittings from Teague Marine a High Perfomance Marine engine builder here in Santa Clarita.
-Mike D.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 07:47 AM