Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What size spacers / studs? 17 x 7 w/ 55mm offset
pnewman
post Jan 25 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,606
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I got a set of 17 x 7 porsche rims w/ 55mm offset. I am ordering a pair of rear 5 lug hubs from eric? WHat size spacers and studs do I need.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Can I fit 205/45's on them under stock fenders w/o flares?

Thinking about getting a set of Yokohama AVS dB S2?

Ears wide open!

thanks in advance for any helpfull advice.

Pete (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 25 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #2

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

Ears wide open!

apparently not.....

in the other 3 threads you brought back to life, i posted on each one saying......
anyway, here goes again.

a comparable 7" fuch is 23mm offset. if your new ones are 53...lets do some math.

53(new wheels) - 23 (fuchs) = ~30mm.... give or take.

rubs? less spacer
hits inside = more spacer

here ya go (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/tongue.gif)
(IMG:http://members.rennlist.com/1976c38/wheel_os_small.jpg)
+Quote Post
mskala
post Jan 26 2006, 10:47 AM
Post #3

R

Member No.: 79
Region Association: None

Except that 23mm offset wheels are not right. 36mm is closer to centering everything.
15-20mm is as large a spacer as you should get initially. With the right spacing,
205/45 may fit if it's not a Hoosier or other tire that cheats on the real width.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
pnewman
post Jan 26 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #4

interesting,

I have heard from other people running similar rims and tires. 16 x 7 , 17 x 7 w/ 205/55 and 205 / 45's
and they seemed to think it ok w/ 15 to 20 mm spacing. all 914's are a little different.

I will find out soon enough. Just hoping to minimize juggling studs and spacer purchasing before fitting.

IS Anyone already running 17 x 7's w/ non flared fenders. Let me know. I am looking for info from people who either tried or are currently running, and what they use for rubber and spacers.

thanks
+Quote Post
sj914
post Jan 26 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,053

An easy way of estimating how much spacer you will need is to just put the wheel up against the hub and measure out from there. Give yourself some room on the inner and outter, then measure from the face of the hub/rotor to the rim mounting surface. This way will still work even if you still have the 4 lug hub, just don't mount it.
+Quote Post
pnewman
post Jan 26 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #6

thanks for some sound advise.

I am not sure how well this will work prior to buying tires though.
i.e. w/ rims only
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 26 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (pnewman @ Jan 26 2006, 11:13 AM)
IS Anyone already running 17 x 7's w/ non flared fenders. Let me know. I am looking for info from people who either tried or are currently running, and what they use for rubber and spacers.

I'm pretty sure I've posted once or twice that I am running 17x7's with 205/40's under stock fenders (there are about 4 or more of us running the same brand rim and same size)......

35mm offset for the rims which is what is sold specificly for a stock bodied 914 thru Revolution wheels....

with the above setup, no spacers are needed in the rear...for the front I am running 1" spacers (see pic) to move the wheels further out to make it look better and to widen the front track since it's 1" per side narrower than the rear....another person is running 1/2" or so spacers in the front for the same reason....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1110341185.jpg)
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Jan 26 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #8

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

one inch spacers are kind of pushing the limit on what the wheel bearing can handle isn't it?

I plan on packing 17x7s into my car under stock bodywork too. I'm going to have to make spacers. I could sell you some when I go to make mine. Whatever size you need +or- .005"
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 27 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #9

914 Freak!

QUOTE (alpha434 @ Jan 26 2006, 10:33 PM)
one inch spacers are kind of pushing the limit on what the wheel bearing can handle isn't it?

lot's of variables there....the factory used 1" spacers with a rim that stuck out even further on the 914/GT's as well as the factory 930 turbos...granted the 5 lug hub have larger bearings, but not that much bigger.....I'm not the 1st one to do this and of the few race cars that are still 4-lug running slicks have not reported bearing failure that I know of...

my rims still fit under the fenders with the 1" spacer on the front...

+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jan 27 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #10

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

205x45 will fit stock bodied car on 7x16's (23mm offset), but usually requires rolling/pulling the lip. You will be moving the wheel inward by 30mm. My guess is they may fit but most likely require a small spacer (10 mm or so) to get inside clearance.

Look at the 7x15's in the chart above (diameter doesn't matter in resolving your question). One has 49mm offset, the other has 23. That is a pretty good illustration of what you want to do.
+Quote Post
mskala
post Jan 27 2006, 10:49 AM
Post #11

R

Member No.: 79

QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 27 2006, 11:37 AM)

my rims still fit under the fenders with the 1" spacer on the front...

That's good to know. I've always used small spacers in the front with the 36mm 6x15,
but seems like a lot of room left if I get some really long studs.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jan 27 2006, 11:15 AM
Post #12

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Let me know how the measuring comes out. Looks like your price just went up! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Spacers = $??.??
Longer Verbus Studs = Average $7.00 each

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 27 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 27 2006, 10:15 AM)
Let me know how the measuring comes out. Looks like your price just went up! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Spacers = $??.??
Longer Verbus Studs = Average $7.00 each

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

rear 20mm spacers should be pretty cheap....I'm picking up some aluminum for another project of mine on Monday, I'll see if they have something close

here is a picture of my rear spacers, these are 1/2" thick since my rims have a 47mm offset instead of the "normal" 35mm offset for the Revolution rims

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1110164290.jpg)
+Quote Post
pnewman
post Jan 27 2006, 01:34 PM
Post #14

I would much rather play w/ three different spacers than end up rolling the fender if it is avoidable.

looking like 205 / 45 - 50 tires. Don't know how a 1/4 to 1/2 inch in height could make a difference when width is the key issue. 50's seem to be closest to oem for speedo and gear ratio though.

Looking like 10 - 20 mm spacers. I will let you know what I find. Rims will be here in a couple of days.. God willing.

After I do some measuring without the rubber I'll post some info on what it looks like ...as I don't know how I could make a good enough picture w/o tires and having 5 lug rims w/ 4 lug hubs. Though as always I am open to suggestions and don't mind becoming a contorsionist temporarilly since you guys have been so helpful w/ your advise.

+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jan 27 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #15

Height will make no difference (as long as you stay under about 26" in diameter with a 205 tire).
With the offset you have, rolling the fenders is not the issue. Your problem, if you have one, will be on the inside rear.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 27 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

QUOTE (pnewman @ Jan 27 2006, 12:34 PM)
I would much rather play w/ three different spacers than end up rolling the fender if it is avoidable.

looking like 205 / 45 - 50 tires. Don't know how a 1/4 to 1/2 inch in height could make a difference when width is the key issue. 50's seem to be closest to oem for speedo and gear ratio though.

Looking like 10 - 20 mm spacers. I will let you know what I find. Rims will be here in a couple of days.. God willing.

After I do some measuring without the rubber I'll post some info on what it looks like ...as I don't know how I could make a good enough picture w/o tires and having 5 lug rims w/ 4 lug hubs. Though as always I am open to suggestions and don't mind becoming a contorsionist temporarilly since you guys have been so helpful w/ your advise.

with a 55mm offset rim and a 10mm spacer, chances are you will rub the front strut and/or the rear inside trunk wall......I know, my rims are 47mm offset and they hit the front strut...but what do I know?, I like to type just for the he// of it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
pnewman
post Jan 27 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 27 2006, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (pnewman @ Jan 27 2006, 12:34 PM)

looking like 205 / 45 - 50 tires.   Don't know how a 1/4 to 1/2 inch in height could make a difference when width is the key issue.  50's seem to be closest to oem for speedo and gear ratio though.

Looking like 10 - 20 mm spacers.  I will let you know what I find.  Rims will be here in a couple of days.. God willing.

After I do some measuring without the rubber I'll post some info on what it looks like             ...as I don't know how I could make a good enough picture w/o tires and having 5 lug rims w/ 4 lug hubs.  Though as always I am open to suggestions and don't mind becoming a contorsionist temporarilly since you guys have been so helpful w/ your advise.

with a 55mm offset rim and a 10mm spacer, chances are you will rub the front strut and/or the rear inside trunk wall......I know, my rims are 47mm offset and they hit the front strut...but what do I know?, I like to type just for the he// of it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

would you still have clearence to the inside of your fender (curbside of the tire) if you went to a 15 mm spacer from the 10mm?
+Quote Post
pnewman
post Jan 27 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #18

I just spent some time out in the garage getting ready for some welding repair and the suspension.

I currently have good year eagle gt II's 165 / 60 on 15 x 5.5 empi eight spoke copies by "rocket".

The inner fender measurement is about 9 3/8" between the already rolled fender lip and the inner trunk.

I measured the clearence that I have after disconnecting the shock and lifting the wheel up into the rear fender well

>w/ the eagles (which balloon a bit between tread and rim) I had about 5/16 " clearence at the closest spot to the inner fender rolled lip. Inboard I had about 1 9/16" between the closest spot of the tire and the inner trunk. My tire is a little over 7 1/2" at it's widest and 6 5/8" tread width.

Bridgeston potenza's website shows:

205/45/17 w/ overall width of 8.1 and a tread width of 7.3.
205/50/17 w/ overall width of 8.3 and a tread width of 7.3.

so looks like if one gets the right rim it could work. if only w/ 1.1 to 1.3 inches to spare.
I'll take it! I only have 5/16 gap curbside now anyway and I've been driving that way for over 8 years!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jan 27 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #19

If I understand your dimensions, you will need a spacer. You will be adding about 1/2 inch of tire to the inside and then moving the wheel in about 1.2 inches (30 mm more offset, guessing 25 mm offset on your current wheels). You need about 1.75 inches plus a little to spare and you have 1 9/16". I think you can get it done but it will be a challenge.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 04:42 PM