Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT...Street racing, Bad idea!
Pugbug
post Jan 29 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,604

This guy lost.....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Jan 29 2006, 11:51 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897
Region Association: None

Same damned story in Toronto this past week. Two punk kids racing their father's Mercedes up Mount Pleasant killed a taxi driver. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) Hopefully it will be a long time before they see freedom and/or a driver's license.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jan 29 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #3

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

I don't know how it is in other parts of the U.S. or Canada but due to the proliferation of street racing a few years back, Kern county passed a law that mandated automatic seizure of any vehicle involved in street racing. It dinn't really seem to make an impact until people started loosing their cars.

I know it hasn't stopped it or how much it slowed it down but you don't see it as often as you used to.

I'm sure it stills goes on but they have apparently taken it outside of the city which at least helps protect those on the more travelled streets.
+Quote Post
brp914
post Jan 29 2006, 01:05 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

iirc the city of la (but not county) can impound for street racing. but do you know how they define "street racing"? does it have to be staged event with multiple cars, as opposed to a single car or spontaneous dual on a deserted mtn road? seems like a lot of potential for abuse by police who want to do a little fund raising. initially, these seizures may be pure profit. but after a while, city councils may factor it into department funding, which may result in departments setting de-facto quotas. stranger things have happened.

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 29 2006, 01:11 PM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

an 18yo and a 17yo(?) were racing east of seattle this week on wet roads. one guy lost it, the 2 racers kissed cars, and some poor soul minding their own business got caught in the carnage. dead. as usual the fools escaped with non-life theatening injurys. one guy acutally fled the scene on foot.

k
+Quote Post
skline
post Jan 29 2006, 04:14 PM
Post #6

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Actually, In Southern California, the police departments inpound and destroy the cars. They do not auction them off and resell them. It is to cut down on the racing all together. It doesnt make sense to just take from one racer and give it to another racer, so they came up with the plan to just destroy the cars and be done with it. Some of those cars have over 10k just into the engines. It's a waste but something needs to be done.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 29 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #7

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

NOVA and MD have some pretty serious street racing rules. I am not familiar with what is or is not on the boards for PA.

I think its great tht there are strict regs agains racing ont he street. It is asinine that folks do this. Socal has it right: If we catch you racing, we will destroy your car. Keep it to the tracks.

Zach
+Quote Post
michel richard
post Jan 29 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 936

QUOTE (balljoint @ Jan 29 2006, 09:51 AM)
Same damned story in Toronto this past week. Two punk kids racing their father's Mercedes up Mount Pleasant killed a taxi driver. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) Hopefully it will be a long time before they see freedom and/or a driver's license.

Hardworking taxi driver was going to be sworn in as a Canadian citizen the very next day. What a sham that he died, what a shame.
+Quote Post
Seagrave
post Jan 29 2006, 05:45 PM
Post #9

Gutenfest Touring Society

Member No.: 963

This should be a sobering thread, not just one for members to talk about how terrible it is and then go out and dice with someone else. Many of us have done it in our cars or on bikes and have managed to get away with it without hurting anyone...maybe the occasional dent. Count your blessings as you remember that you used to do it too. This is what club racing, track days, and a/x are for. I used to read the Roadglue stuff a few years ago and was amazed that they weren't all thrown in jail. My two cents.
+Quote Post
Pugbug
post Feb 4 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,604

Street racing claims more victims in LA....Why do they do it? This awful...I hope they catch the other driver.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-cl...-home-headlines
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Feb 4 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #11

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ha! I don't remember the last time someone died in a street race around here. Some old guy died awhile back from putting nitrous into his nova and losing control straight into a brick wall in the north denver industrial sector. Anyway, the local street racer "incontingent" used to meet at a dennys close to my house every sunday night. I suppose they still do. Man are those Hondas SLOW. These idiot kids drop insane amounts of money to add turbos that would never fully spool on an inline 4 and lag like nobody's business. And don't forget the horrific sound systems. Thats what makes hondas go fast. Radios. Most of the kids involved are pretty degenerate. But they do manage to get lots of girls. That sure doesn't make sense to me. Or the rest of it.
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Feb 4 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,896

If your fast enough, (like my blown Mustang) then the kids might think your racing but in reality, I never even used 5th or 6th gear. LOL

Dont be pansies.

Our local drag strip has Thursday night "test and tune" unlimited runs for $20

Thats where everyone around here goes to settle the issues that don't get resolved at the stoplights...

Funny, now that I've been driving that Mustang around here for three summers, the kids around here won't even look at me when I am sitting by them at a light...

Another note, I figure if I had about 50 more HP I could lift the front tires off the ground at a stop light....

Now, all that being said, if you want to bash me for acting like a character from the Dukes of Hazzard, or call me a redneck... Then...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/finger.gif)

In my "redneck" opinion this whole thread is....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aaron.gif)

PS. Porsche's are not for Drag Racing and Tricks are for kids... If you want to beat kids in Honda's like red headed step Children, buy an SVT Cobra or a Vette or better yet if you can afford one... A VIPER.
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Feb 4 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #13

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (dflesburg @ Feb 4 2006, 11:30 AM)
If your fast enough, (like my blown Mustang) then the kids might think your racing but in reality, I never even used 5th or 6th gear. LOL

Dont be pansies.

Our local drag strip has Thursday night "test and tune" unlimited runs for $20

Thats where everyone around here goes to settle the issues that don't get resolved at the stoplights...

Funny, now that I've been driving that Mustang around here for three summers, the kids around here won't even look at me when I am sitting by them at a light...

Another note, I figure if I had about 50 more HP I could lift the front tires off the ground at a stop light....

Now, all that being said, if you want to bash me for acting like a character from the Dukes of Hazzard, or call me a redneck... Then...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/finger.gif)

In my "redneck" opinion this whole thread is....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aaron.gif)

PS. Porsche's are not for Drag Racing and Tricks are for kids... If you want to beat kids in Honda's like red headed step Children, buy an SVT Cobra or a Vette or better yet if you can afford one... A VIPER.

Straight line is boring. And street racing doesn't equal drag racing. They do something called sprints around here, which entails santa fe N to I-25 N to to I don't know from there. Probly five mile courses.

And no, I've never drag raced my porsche. Or ran a "sprint" with it. Most of the street racers around here speak very little english. Same with a lot of the kids my age. So all my friends are 50+.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 4 2006, 02:08 PM
Post #14

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Sacramento County Sheriff's Department arrested a street racer for 2nd degree murder this week, and odds are they're gonna make it stick. Doesn't help the other driver, though ..................... The Cap'n, who left that sh*t waaayyy in the past.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 4 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #15

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 4 2006, 12:08 PM)
..................... The Cap'n, who left that sh*t waaayyy in the past.

Aye, matey. Had some fun, tho. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 4 2006, 02:12 PM
Post #16

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (J P Stein @ Feb 4 2006, 12:10 PM)
.....................  The Cap'n, who left that sh*t waaayyy in the past.

Aye, matey. Had some fun, tho. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Yeah, but we had the only 2 cars on the road in those days ............. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Feb 4 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #17

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

I used to street race alot (had winnings figured into my weekly budget). But we would head out into the middle of nowhere (Farm fields) and play 1/4 mile racer.

Worst accident i ever saw was a car not get slowed down at the end of the 1/4 and end up out in the field. Very little violence, very little drugs, Just car guys trying to make their wangs bigger.

Then the import scene happened. these idiots had no problems w/ doing back to back to back races, running 4 or 6 cars in one race, etc. they brought drugs, alcohol, and violence. Then the police started cracking down. It got so bad we would call the Import guys, and figure out where they were, and then go to the other side of town to race (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)

I finally sold my car, and got out of the scene, but i guess it completely died, Police have a zero tolerance deal, groups of car guys hanging out in a parking lot are now treated as gangs. it's a shame really.

Racing on busy streets is just stupid (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)

BJH
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Feb 4 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #18

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

We just learned of one of our Region autocross members hit a tree and split his car in two. He had two passengers with him both died. The driver is in critical condition.
18 yr old kid that had a bad ass Street Mod Acura interga. very stiff springs etc. estimated speed in a 35 mph zone was over 110.

Gotta wonder what this guy missed in the "think about it process"
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Feb 4 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

wreckedexotics.com that"s all I have to say...
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 4 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #20

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 4 2006, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Feb 4 2006, 12:10 PM)
.....................  The Cap'n, who left that sh*t waaayyy in the past.

Yeah, but we had the only 2 cars on the road in those days ............. The Cap'n

more like,,,yup had fun till our horses died.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 01:41 PM