Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What do I need?, bare metal
Hammy
post Feb 2 2006, 03:52 PM
Post #1

mr. Wonderful

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,978
Region Association: Northern California

I don't know anything about painting and such, keep that in mind (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
Some areas on my car are bare metal, where paint is scratched off from previous dents or is peeling off, from what I assume is a cheap PO paint job. Also my rear trunk is bare metal now, but if I want to save everything from rusting, what do I use? Some sort of primer, but what? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) I'm not worried about cosmetics at this point.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brew
post Feb 2 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #2

That's Captain Moron to you!

Member No.: 4,546

Self-etching primer, followed by a coat of primer-sealer to keep the moisture out. Both should be available in rattle-can at you favorite local paint supply house.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 2 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (Brew @ Feb 2 2006, 01:55 PM)
Self-etching primer, followed by a coat of primer-sealer to keep the moisture out. Both should be available in rattle-can at you favorite local paint supply house.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) SEM is a good self ething primer. Should be available at your local automotive paint supplier.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Feb 2 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

Sherwin Williams makes this Kick ASS, zinc chromate acid etching primer. It is a two part catalyzed primer. Great for covering bare steel and fiberglass. Lay down a coat if it and then throw some regular polyurethane primer surfacer. DOn't leave any primer exposed to the elements long it will soak up water.
+Quote Post
914GT
post Feb 2 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

An exception to this are two-part epoxy primers, which are waterproof and hold up pretty much indefinitely. But they don't come in a spray can and it's expensive. The stuff I use - R-M Diamont Epoxy - probably is not even available in California because of environmental laws.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 09:51 PM