Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 as Commuters.., Reliability over the long haul?
Brian Mifsud
post Feb 3 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #1

Mechanical Engineer

Group: Members
Member No.: 384
Region Association: None

I've got 170K miles on my '96 Mustang GT (COMMUTER) and it's time to start pouring money in the car or sell it. Traction Lok Clutches (limited slip) need replacement as does my main clutch (can you believe the crap that Ford sells... only lasted 170K!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) ) Shocks, and the interior is JUST starting to look a little ratty (need new carpets) Paint needs fixin where some punk threw a rock instead of eggs on Halloween and scraped the paint all the way to steel ( at least $500 for that panel).

I can sell the GT and throw the 3K I get from the sale into the 914, or vice versa and fix the GT. GT has no rust, AC , comfy seats, quiet cabin, 20MPG and expensive 17" low profile tires that don't last me 30K miles. GT also cruises nicely for hours at a time at or near 100MPH without complaining nor wearing me out... but is a bitch in commute traffic..Oh, and it's only 10 years old......

914 has a strong but used engine, unrebuilt original 901 with new clutch and flywheel, overhauled brakes... and the odd dime sized rust spots in the usual places. Interior is carpetless and need comprehensive reupholstery and the car need to be repainted and resealed. Tires seem to never wear out.

Does anyone commute regularly over 40 miles per day in your 914, and if so, how has it held up over the years?

I understand I'll be giving up all the creature comforts, but I've only commuted in it for 2 years so really never "pushed" it in the long haul...

No I can't keep both cars.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2024 - 09:07 AM