Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this TDC?
ventilator01
post Feb 5 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,166

The reason I ask is because when I have it in this position, the grove in the fly wheel is not showing at the top of the transmission..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ventilator01
post Feb 5 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #2

pic 2, there is a notch there and it has had some red paint added to it

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Feb 5 2006, 02:47 PM
Post #3

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

it is at best an approximation that might show you which cylinder's TDC you are near.

the flywheel has the final say.

(to clarify, the distributor rotor, which is really a camshaft position indicator, includes the (unknown) amount of static (BTDC) timing...)
+Quote Post
ventilator01
post Feb 5 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #4

So get the groove in the fly wheel to where it show at the top of the trans and go with that?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Feb 5 2006, 04:07 PM
Post #5

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (ventilator01 @ Feb 5 2006, 04:51 PM)
So get the groove in the fly wheel to where it show at the top of the trans and go with that?

there has to be a reference somewhere to how to determine TDC on a /4. i just don't know much about them for details like that. but - however it's done - and surely a search on 'TDC and setting'' will give you many likely threads to check - or the Haynes - the flywheel contains the best reference.
+Quote Post
swl
post Feb 5 2006, 04:21 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

The marks are different for 1.7/1.8 and 2 litre. On the 1.7 the red mark is 27degrees BTDC. TDC is a white mark. Look for it on the engine side of the flywheel - yes you have to be a pretzel - or use a mirror. With a properly assembled engine the rotor points roughly toward the driver when #1 is at TDC, compression stroke.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Feb 5 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #7

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Seriously, spend some time learning to do a search of this site. The answer you seek is already here.

Read this thread. Good description of timing a TypeIV

I'll quote Rich from that thread.

QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 12 2006, 03:37 PM)

Get the TDC mark, the notch in the fan pulley, not the painted mark, to line up with the V groove in the fan housing, on the rear of the fan closest to the rear of the car...use a mirror.

CUT

Rich

The true TDC mark on the fan is on the back side of the fan. Take that paint mark and get a mirror and look at the notch at the rear of the fan and look for the timing mark there. That's where the fan is actually marked for TDC. Basically you're going to verify that your red paint mark is TDC. It may not be, but you can verify whether it is or not. With the fan at TDC, you'll find that your rotor will be pointing to approximately that line on the dizzy housing. It is not exact as Rich Herzog pointed out. You may very well also find a different paint mark on the front side of the fan if the red painted mark is 27 degrees and not TDC.

This post has been edited by Gint: Feb 5 2006, 06:45 PM
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Feb 5 2006, 05:18 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,061

Steve, I just went to the computer and went to "914club" and saw the picture of you posted of the red mark. The red mark in the picture is on the fin next to the heavy support "thick fin" THAT IS THE 27* full in timing mark. The TDC mark on the blower is 1 11/16 "tward the distributor from the mark you showed. The TDC mark is on the 4th fin from the heavy support . I went down and looked at three blowers and they were all differant, BUT I know the TDC mark is back from the heavy support. Call if you need assistance. Al
+Quote Post
Gint
post Feb 5 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #9

Mike Ginter

Good point Al, I forgot about that. That red mark IS probably the timing mark and not TDC. I edited my post above to hopefully make more sense.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Feb 5 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #10

Mike Ginter

QUOTE (ventilator01 @ Feb 5 2006, 01:51 PM)

Once you find that mark on the flywheel, look at your fan and verify whether or not your red painted mark is TDC or the 27 degree timing mark (see my post above). Also look with the mirror at the back side of the fan. There is a notch there and once you have the TDC flywheel mark at the top of the flywheel, you should also see the mark on the back side of the fan. You can then paint a different color mark on the front of the fan for future reference.

BTW, while you're under the car looking for the TDC flywheel mark, mark the bottom of the flywheel somehow. You'll be prety happy that you did when you get around to doing your nect valve adjustment.

This post has been edited by Gint: Feb 5 2006, 06:44 PM
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Feb 5 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #11

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Just stick a chopstick down the spark plug hole and feel where the piston is at TDC.

Oh wait that's been done before never mind. I use a long plastic straw can't break it. Once you find it mark it and write it down somewhere so you don't forget it.
+Quote Post
ventilator01
post Feb 5 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #12

I did not use the red mark for TDC, I found another notch and when it was in view the mark on the flywheel was in view from the top side of the trans, so I did the valve adjustment using that as TDC, not the red mark. But it did not change the compression on the #3 cylinder, leak down test is next... guess I gotta buy that gadget now. Thank you all for your help as I have no f....ing idea what Im doing. In way over my head.

thx
steve
+Quote Post
opera guy
post Feb 6 2006, 01:42 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,268

QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 5 2006, 05:23 PM)
Just stick a chopstick down the spark plug hole and feel where the piston is at TDC.

Oh wait that's been done before never mind. I use a long plastic straw can't break it. Once you find it mark it and write it down somewhere so you don't forget it.

look left
<-------
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 6 2006, 01:45 PM
Post #14

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 5 2006, 07:23 PM)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
toon1
post Feb 6 2006, 03:18 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 5,022

The chopstick thing keeps coming up, I was told to use it to remove a washer I dropped into the sump.

It cracks me up everytime I see someone telling another person to use it.

whats the story behind it? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 12:24 PM