Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lost my Belt, How do you tighten the Alternator Belt ?
dralf
post Feb 6 2006, 06:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,597

Yesterday started out a great day for I replaced the alternator and got the car off the jack stands and took it for a spin into town. All was well until I revved up the engine during a down shift. The alternator belt popped off and was neatly ejected into the engine compartment.

I drove home on the battery, and now my question is how do you tighten the belt?
I put as much tension on it as you can in the cramped quarters by hand, but I never found a good way to use some sort of leverage to get the belt on really tight.

Any suggestions or tricks?

I also noticed when I put on the old pulley on the new alternator that the pulley has a slight wobble, is this a problem?

Tomorrow I will post some pic on another topic that I found while I was under the car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Feb 6 2006, 07:20 AM
Post #2

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I guess the 1st thing to do is make sure the two pullies are lined up.
Are you using the right belt?
as for tightening 1st loosen up the pivot bolt on the bottom, then loosen the clamp bolt at the top. I have always been able to get a Big effin flat blade screw driver against the alt and the bracket and obtain enough tension. then with your 3rd hand tighten the clamp bolt. anf then back under the car to do the pivot bolt.

A wobbly pulley is never a good thing.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 6 2006, 08:18 AM
Post #3

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

QUOTE (dralf @ Feb 6 2006, 06:39 AM)
Yesterday started out a great day for I replaced the alternator and got the car off the jack stands and took it for a spin into town. All was well until I revved up the engine during a down shift. The alternator belt popped off and was neatly ejected into the engine compartment.

I drove home on the battery, and now my question is how do you tighten the belt?
I put as much tension on it as you can in the cramped quarters by hand, but I never found a good way to use some sort of leverage to get the belt on really tight.

Any suggestions or tricks?

I also noticed when I put on the old pulley on the new alternator that the pulley has a slight wobble, is this a problem?

Tomorrow I will post some pic on another topic that I found while I was under the car.

when did your car start running (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

?

b
+Quote Post
dralf
post Feb 6 2006, 09:36 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,597

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
Yesterday, it fired up after some moments of smoke, back-fires and just starter grinding. I had replaced the FI trigger points and even have new Transmision Mounts.

I have yet to time it, but it ran well enough for me to take a run down into town. It still does not want to idle correctly but that may be just working with the adjustments.

I hope that I can solve the belt flipping off problem. I just hate the fact that you can't get to the adjuster easly.

The belt I got is from PP and is correct. I am now wondering if I have the pullys ligned up or even how you adjust that for I just put it on the alternator shaft and tightened the nut. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

Tomorrow I will post my most recent item of woe.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 6 2006, 10:49 AM
Post #5

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (dralf @ Feb 6 2006, 07:36 AM)
adjustments.

I hope that I can solve the belt flipping off problem. I just hate the fact that you can't get to the adjuster easly.

"Can't get to the adjuster easily"? I agree, if it were in the passenger seat and had a thumb screw with a finger friendly locking tab, it would be easier. Too tell you the truth, it's one of the easiest belt adjustments I've ever encountered in my career as a professional wrench. Get used to it ........ The Cap'n
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Feb 6 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #6

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

check the alignment. I had a problem and found that the pulley was on backwards and caused a mislignment.

Bernie
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 07:23 PM