Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This post is stupid., but why not?
wwhalenc
post Feb 6 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,950

It seems various folks build just about every component. Is the tooling for these cars still intact somewhere? Why doesn't someone just offer up new body shells/chassi for sale? Yeah it'd be expensive. I don't care...I want one. ...or even a tubed out featherlight faux version

Also, i've heard rumors about Porshce reintroducing a new "914"...this rumor have any legs?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redshift
post Feb 6 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #2

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

No, not really.

The new thing isn't really a 914, it's a $35,000+ grab at market share.

M
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 6 2006, 02:39 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (wwhalenc @ Feb 6 2006, 01:22 PM)
It seems various folks build just about every component. Is the tooling for these cars still intact somewhere? Why doesn't someone just offer up new body shells/chassi for sale? Yeah it'd be expensive. I don't care...I want one. ...or even a tubed out featherlight faux version

Also, i've heard rumors about Porshce reintroducing a new "914"...this rumor have any legs?

'cause people are too cheap !!!!!

we've tried to give away solid near rust free California chassis'....NOBODY would pay the $800 to $1000 for shipping to the East coast nor rent a trailer from U-Haul and grab it if more local.....

figure a "new" bare chassis would be $10,000 for one "in the white" if enough orders and the tooling was still around....

I don't believe Porsche will ever bring back the 914 name nor bring out an entry level model and even "mention" the 914 in print at the same time....

+Quote Post
wwhalenc
post Feb 6 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,950

...just a chapter they'd just assume forget about?
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Feb 6 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #5

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE (wwhalenc @ Feb 6 2006, 12:22 PM)

Not all parts are reproduced, just the rust prone areas. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

The new 60s/70s Camaro bodies are being reproduced because most of the body parts are available and the individual companies joined to reproduce a new chassis. There is subtantial demand and buyers willing to pay large sums for restored or originals at classic car auctions. This justifies a "new" body even at high tooling costs and sell price.

If few would be willing to pay $10-$12k for a bare refurbished chassis than almost no one would pay more for a new repro chassis.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Feb 6 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #6

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 6 2006, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (wwhalenc @ Feb 6 2006, 01:22 PM)
It seems various folks build just about every component.  Is the tooling for these cars still intact somewhere?  Why doesn't someone just offer up new body shells/chassi for sale?  Yeah it'd be expensive.   I don't care...I want one.   ...or even a tubed out featherlight  faux version

'cause people are too cheap !!!!!

we've tried to give away solid near rust free California chassis'....NOBODY would pay the $800 to $1000 for shipping to the East coast nor rent a trailer from U-Haul and grab it if more local.....

figure a "new" bare chassis would be $10,000 for one "in the white" if enough orders and the tooling was still around....

I don't believe Porsche will ever bring back the 914 name nor bring out an entry level model and even "mention" the 914 in print at the same time....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) werd...

I remember this being brought up before... someone even offered o find good "rust free" rollers, strip, prime, and fix any minor rust and resell for IIRC around 8k... no takers, not 1, zero people were willing to spend that... which is crazy to me, knowing how hard it is for someone of average mechanical knowledge(at best), such as myself to do all the things to make a tub 100% correct...

think about it... 1000 for a good tub with some minor rust(no teener is really rust free) then to do it right, you need a rotisserie, welding expertise and the right material, a welder and the materials, blasting or acid dip.... and we're just getting started... 8-10k sould be a steal for someone wanting perfect...
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 6 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #7

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I paid 12K for mine to be done right with the Mauyer kit, GT Kit, flares, custom rockers and valences and paint. I think that 8K for a bare tub is a bit much even if its "perfect".

4 to 5K would be reasonable for a "perfect" tub.

And for those folks in California, why should we buy a bare tub for 1K when we can go there and buy the whole roller for the same price?

+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 6 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #8

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Seems like I remember a thread a year or so ago that said you could actually get a new one for 8 or 9k.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 6 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 6 2006, 02:23 PM)
And for those folks in California, why should we buy a bare tub for 1K when we can go there and buy the whole roller for the same price?

that's my point....no need to buy a tub for $1000 when they've been offered for free (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 6 2006, 04:51 PM
Post #10

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 6 2006, 01:23 PM)

we have tried to give them away for FREE more than once ...

you come get it, have it shipped, whatever ...

the $1k was a quote for shipping it to the east coast. no takers. none. just bitching ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif) Andy
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 06:05 AM