Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> WOT: ODBC Question, with SQL Server
richardL
post Feb 6 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 201
Region Association: None

I'm hoping someone here has an answer to this, its driving me crazy.

I have a client using an ODBC connection (on XP Pro), to connect to a SQL Server database. Its set to use NT authentication.

You can create the ODBC Datasource, select the appropriate database on the appropriate server and test the connection - all is fine.

However, when you check it is actually connected to the another database on that Server, apparently the one defined as the defualt for that server.

For instance I created a connection pointing at the standard Northwind database, then I opened Access, linked to an ODBC datasource, selected my new datasource and instead of being offered a list of the tables in Northwind, I was offered a list of the tables in the other default database (not master).

I eventually got it to work as I expected, by logging off of the domain account and doing a login as the adminstrator for the local machine. In that account, the DSN worked as expected.

I have never seen a DSN with NT authentication simply provide access to another database - it should tell me I don't have access rights to the database selected or whatever.

In this case the default database is the clients main live production system, so it appears to be a glaring security risk.

Anybody know why this might happen, or even how to make it happen/stop?

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 10:06 AM