Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can anybody identify these FI parts?
rickyhgarcia
post Feb 10 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #1

UPS truck is here...

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,198

The picture is from an e-Bay auction...but the seller did not indicate which car it came from.

Can this be installed in a 2.0l 1974?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 10 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #2

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

1 = Intake runners
2 = Plenumn
3 = Aux air Valve
4 = Ignition box
5 = Fuel pump
6 = Distributor
7 = ECU

Can't make out the others.

It does look like most of the stuff for a 2.0

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 10 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #3

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

looks like 2.0 liter FI DJET system..
And a cool blue box that goes ping!!

Rich
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 10 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #4

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

The thing next to "6" may be the MPS. Hard to tell.

Yes, it's a 2.0 setup. The big box-like plenum was only used on the 2.0. The 1.7 and 1.8 plenums are much smaller tubes with the throttle body poking out the side, not out the top.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Feb 10 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #5

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

The upper left is an early DJet fuel pump (next to 6) w/ filter still attached to suction.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 10 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Yup, but there is no MPS in that pile.

There are two fuel pumps...the thing to the left of the dizzy is the stocker...the one at the bottom, left of the box that goes "ping" is an aftermarket fuel pump.

So, if you get it, you must still find and MPS..

Bleyseng, and Bowlsby can help getting you one of those.

Rich
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nola914
post Feb 10 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,440

Throttle Body?
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 10 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #8

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (nola914 @ Feb 10 2006, 02:40 PM)
Throttle Body?

Don't see one...
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 10 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (rickyhgarcia @ Feb 10 2006, 03:09 PM)
The picture is from an e-Bay auction...but the seller did not indicate which car it came from.

Can this be installed in a 2.0l 1974?

What are doing?

I thought you had webers and was going to build a bigger motor??
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Feb 10 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #10

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Ricky

Here's a picture of a complete 74 D-Jet system for reference. It's complete except for a fuel pump. (forget the other stuff in upper right corner) Remember the money part is the MPS.

Tom

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 10 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #11

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

for clarification, the 2.0 aar is the round item on the plenum adjacent to the bosch box?

k
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 10 2006, 06:13 PM
Post #12

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Feb 10 2006, 04:04 PM)
for clarification, the 2.0 aar is the round item on the plenum adjacent to the bosch box?

k

Yes.. Looks like that photo has two fuel pressure regulators, too.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 10 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #13

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

two fuel pressure regulators

One is aFP regulator...the other is the decel valve...kinda hard to see.

There is also the TS2 resistor from a 73 2.0L in there.
+Quote Post
rickyhgarcia
post Feb 10 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #14

UPS truck is here...

Guys, thanks a lot for all the info...it is very helpful.

Mike (Mueller)....you are right about Webers and a big engine. I am about to buy one of Jake´s big engine kit through Charles Navarro. I am buying it through Charles because I am using a set of 103mm Nickies I bought from LN Engineering last year. Since Jake´s kit is for 102mm, Charles convinced Jake to make his 2563 Performance Kit work with my piston/cylinder set....my final engine will displace 2613cc´s.

By the way, Charles is the man. He is really going out of his way to help me get this engine built. I moved my car to Texas (DFW area) last year for work that needed to be done. The reason for taking the car there is that about ten years ago German Technology (Dan Butts) and Mayo Performance (Ed Mayo) performed a complete restoration of my car. Since they worked on the car before, and did an excellent job, it was logical to me that this second restoration (or what was missed last time plus a few extras) should be performed by these same guys.

However, I decided not to use Mayo Performance for the application of the engine kit and asked German Technology to find an engine assembler. Dan found a mechanic who completely restored my transmission (except for the main and pinion shafts, I think everything else was replaced plus the addition of a Guard Transmission 40% LSD), and worked some other mechanical issues before deciding he did not have more time to work on my car. This stopped my engine kit purchase until Charles call up his contacts in the DFW area. We are now in the middle of negotiating the engine assembly with a shop called the Texas Bug Stop, which Charles claims to be a quality VW shop. Yeap...Charles is the man...great help.
+Quote Post
rickyhgarcia
post Feb 10 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #15

UPS truck is here...

Well....enough about all the backgroung...and now for the real reason for this post.

As Mike indicated, I was decided to keep the Weber 44IDF carbs I currently have. However, reading throug a lot of 914world.com threads, the opinion of the majority is that FI is a much better option than carbs.

Also from the threads, I know that the stock FI systems is not suitable for the big engine I have in mind. So I search the aftermarket systems and decided that Jake´s systems would make a lot of sense for me. Since my car is in very decent condition...and looks almost original ("almost" because I have 15" 911 Fuch alloys), I like Jake´s option that retrofits the original D-Jet and keep the engine compartment looking original.

Jake´s FI System

My question is...can I used Jake´s system, as explained in this web site, with what´s in the picture?

One of the replies indicated that the picture does not show a throttle body which is necessary to integrate Jake´s system...where can I get a 2 liter engine D Jet throttle body?
+Quote Post
rickyhgarcia
post Feb 10 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #16

UPS truck is here...

Lastly, last year I bought from Jeff Bowlsby all engine harnesses applicable to my intended (i.e. with carbs) engine configuration and especifically asked him to remove all FI related wires.

If I install this system, do I need to redo my harnesses again? To include FI related wiring?
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 11 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #17

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Hi Ricky...what a dilemma.

Looking at Jakes site, he appears to be reselling the SDS systems and somewhat tailoring them to your engine by pre-loading a base fuel map. SDS is a great system but it needs adapting to your application becasue it is only generic. The text clearly says that additional tuning will be needed (dyno time) and patience needed. Reading his descriptions carefully though, it appears that it is not a complete plugNplay system, but its a good place to begin. Hopefully Jake will speak up hear and answer any questions for all of us. Specifically, a TPS and idle air control valve are not described as included and the harness is only the bare wire SDS harness slightly modified...no casing, no new boots, there may be more. I dont know what is done for the needed wire terminals, maybe they are included but then you will need a good crimper. I really need to move the plans I have for an aftermarket FI harness to the front burner... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

With any aftermarket EFI there are other things that need modification and R+D...a blank cover for the CSV on the plenum. Do you keep the stock dizzy or replace it? Where do you get power from in the engine bay? A stock throttle body even for 2.0L 914 is way too small, and as far as is documented anywhere, the stock intake manifold is only adequate for engines up to about 2.3L...so says Brad Anders. that is a major roadblock, because now new custom intake air plumbing is needed.

You acquired new ignition, oil temp and alternator harnesses from me and I only deleted the AAR wire from the ignition harness becasue you were going with carbs. You didnt purchase an FI harness from me, it would be applicable to D-Jet only anyway so I think you are in great shape as far as wiring...

What does everyone else say?
+Quote Post
rickyhgarcia
post Feb 11 2006, 08:05 AM
Post #18

UPS truck is here...

Thank you Jeff for your explanation...it is very informative.

It sounds that Jake´s "Retrofit System" is not suitable for large engines due to physical limitations on the original hardware.

Perhaps one of the other two systems he offers (Jake´s Other FI Systems) may be the correct system for such a large engine as what I am intending to do.

However, it seems that with these systems I cannot achieve the original look that I wanted.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Feb 11 2006, 09:02 AM
Post #19

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Ricky

I have one of Jake's 2270 kits that I am fueling with Megasquirt ans most of the stock 2.0l D-jet intake system and it is working vry well. However, your 2613 will be a whole different ball game. I suspect that the stock intake system will not deliver enough air. Your 2613 will be a big air pump especially if the heads are reworked and the cam is anything similar to mine. You are going to need a bunch of air.

I think your choices are:

1) carbs (probably the quickest solution). Not what I would chose though
2) PEFI with individual throttle bodies (probably available through Jake and the next easiest and quickest).
3) PEFI with single throttle body, plenum and intake runners. (lots of work)

The truth is trying to look stealthy is going to be very difficult. I suspect it would involve custom made intake runners that are a little larger in diameter, a larger plenum fabricated to resemble the stock one, a larger throttle body adapted from another car and modification of the airbox to fit the throttle body. On top of that, coming up with the right sizes for these components probably would require a lot of trial and error.

For what it's worth (free advice) I would get on the horn to Jake and have him work up what you need and then send him a couple of Big Ones for the gear. Get it installed and have a tuner dial it in. Run your car like devil and then when someone asks you to raise the hood act like a coy sixteen year old and say "Not on the first date".

+Quote Post
rickyhgarcia
post Feb 12 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #20

UPS truck is here...

Thanks DNHUNT for your advise...it is well taken. It seems from your post that to keep the "original" look will be almost impossible to do.

Are there web sites on the different FI systems that I can use?

Like I said before, I am currently running 44IDF Webers and would probably stick to them until the right FI system shows up.

This is exactly what Charles Navarro recommended....get the engine running with the carbs...then think about FI.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 04:12 PM